It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat-earthers rejoice for your pain and insanity is over for 250k

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

So hasn't the Bedford Level...........

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
a reply to: graysquirrel

Does anyone know that other planets aren't still partially molten, as well?

As I write in a post above, the "oblateness" of the Earth is too small to see; the maximum width is only 0.3% greater than the pole-to-pole height.

Some other planets are also known to be oblate spheroids. Jupiter, for example, is about 6% wider than it is high. That's a relatively larger difference, and even that is not readily noticeable.

www.space.com...

Jupiter has a mean radius of 43,440.7 miles (69,911 kilometers), about a tenth that of the sun. However, its rapid rotation — it spins once every 9.8 hours — causes it to bulge at the equator, where the diameter is 88,846 miles (142,984 km). In contrast, the diameter at the poles is only 83,082 miles (133,708 km). This stretched shape is known as an oblate spheroid.

Saturn is also known to be an oblate spheroid.

edit on 6/4/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Where do you get that info? Have you seen it?

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Keep going? Are you calling one mile or 20, a "bulge?" Even giant Jupiter is not much.

Things don't seem to add up. I have no idea what is true, but I sure would like to know, that's all.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

That's not true. I except truth. All data considered. I just haven't been convinced the earth is spherical. Not convinced it's flat either.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18

Where do you get that info? Have you seen it?

I haven't seen the Great Wall of China, either.

The exact differences in the diameter the Earth has been gathered through geographical surveys. Altitudes above seas level in various locations around the Earth have been measured by various surveys over many years and by countless people. All of that data is available for people to gather it and calculate various distances between those points.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
a reply to: odzeandennz

No math, no theories, the Earth is doing all the proving.

Who says that we aren't on a flattish disc that is spinning?

The Earth's poles say so... Like when I crossed the equator several times on board USS Iwo Jima.

Also, how when we look at Mars we see the same polar ice caps at the extremes of the poles.

Lastly. Shadow.

We can even do this, find an ats member who lives in say Canada, and a member in let's say Peru, and at exactly noon (1200) , because at noon the sun would be directly above the entire flat disk, you both have the same 4 foot tall stick stuck in the ground at the same depth, and you both measure the length of the shadow. One will be shorter than the other. This shouldn't happen if at 12pm the sun was exactly above both sticks and the Earth was flat.

Then replicate this on a smaller scale.

Under a light source, find and place a flat disc , place 2 candles apart at 3 inches , find a basketball and place 2 candles 3 inches apart, you will see the same or similar shadow ratio from the member experiment compared to the flat disc.

No theories or complex math....
edit on 6-4-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

That's not true. I except truth. All data considered. I just haven't been convinced the earth is spherical. Not convinced it's flat either.

No and you shouldn't, to a degree
I have never been to the USA or met or seen a person that has been abducted by aliens
Does that make it unbelievable, perhaps
But I trust people and my own judgement
I believe the US does exist and I believe that some people who believe they were abducted by aliens are telling their version of the truth, I believe they have had an experience,,why lie about that, why so many people,,why the constant stories. Aliens, I can't deny people who believe they were abducted their experiences

I havnt seen a round earth, it's flat as I view it, but, I have seen the evidence,written, shadows, other planets,time zones, common sense and others opinions
We will never see a round earth but we can weigh the evidence

Sometimes we just have to make an educated guess, educated
But if a person chooses flat, fine by me

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Ok but that doesn't prove globe earth. The same data is accepted by flat earth folks.

Science is a bitch sometimes. We don't know. We just don't. Anyone claiming it's a fact is just arrogant about proofs they didn't come up with.
"I learned it from someone else" just stupid to claim anything if this is you

I personally just haven't seen evidence of globe earth. And I'm pretty sharp. I can't say either way. I don't know.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

edit on 6-4-2018 by Toolman18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This site is based on fringe news and reality. An absolute crazy idea is brought up and disregarded immediately.
I would ask you to give it a chance. Test it out. Not someone's high plane altitude cuz I can't do that. Your own tests. What is the result?

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Ok but that doesn't prove globe earth. The same data is accepted by flat earth folks.

What? The question you asked was what data is used to determine the oblateness of Earth, not whether or not it is a sphere. You're getting a bit confused

To answer the sphere question, I know it's a sphere through the same types of observations that the ancient Greeks used starting about 2500 years ago to discern that the earth is a sphere -- such as noticing that the constellations in the sky will be higher or lower on the horizon depending from where they are being viewed (Aristotle noticed that the constellations look different from Egypt as they do from Greece).

Similarly, that's why your latitude can be determined from measuring how high the North Star (Polaris) is above the horizon. If the Earth were flat, there would be no reason for the height above the horizon of the North Star to change with latitude.

Also, similar to the ancient Greeks, I can see that shadows on a certain day of the year would be longer the farther north I go.

In addition, I can see farther to the horizon when I am higher up. I was once at a location at hilly area near the seas where I could see a piece of land in the distance from a vantage point a few hundred feet above a shoreline, but I could not see that same piece of land from shore. If the water were flat, there would be no reason for not being able to see the far-off piece of land.

And then there's gravity. Flat-Earthers would need to come up with a new formula for figuring out gravity if the Earth were a disk -- e.g., why does gravity at straight down no matter where on the disk I am, considering that farther from the center of the disk, gravity should act in different directions. I have yet to see such a calculation (and one that works with the observations of the gravitational forces involved in the orbits of the planets).

Here's another: Why are there seasonal constellations? in the mid-latitudes on earth, Orion is seen on the night side of the spherical Earth in January, but Orion is on the day side of the Earth in July.

Please come up with one flat-Earth explanation for these various observations that anyone can make.

So those are the reasons why I (just like they did 2500 years ago) can use observations to figure out that the earth is a sphere. However, that is a different thing than how we can tell it is a oblate sphere (which I answered in the post above).

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

When did I say I wouldn't regard new evidence? Or any evidence? I would say I'm open and don't except non proven rock data as evidence. I'm amazed at how people blindly take what was given. Rocks can't be dated but are the foundation stone of scientific belief. Dumb people.
But carbon'14? Shut up.
Under my feet are more alive, organic creatures than I could count and you want to take samples proving organic age?
But earthworms and grubs and ants wouldn't change dating right?
Of course they would.
The earth is constantly changing. Don't give dates someone else gave you because you are probably wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The ancient greeks would have gotten the same results on a flat earth with the sun much smaller and much closer than we are "told" it is today.

edit on 6-4-2018 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

The ancient greeks would have gotten the same results on a flat earth with the sun much smaller and much closer than we are "told" it is today.

That's an ad hoc answer that might explain the Greeks, but it falls apart when using it to explain the height of the sun in the sky between (say) Rome and New York at a given moment.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

You actually can see the effects of curvature at ground level. As to proof, Sydney to Santiago, flat earth is now impossible and a globe Earth is proven.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That's not true. I myself have proved that wrong.

I have posted photos in previous FE threads of a city from close range, and then from far away, both taken at sea level, and you can see the bottom of the buildings cut off due to curvature. Like I said though, Sydney to Santiago, Globe Earth proven.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Constelations would react similar in a flat plane. Gravity is s fine theory until you really study it. Gravity contradicts itself. Being able to see further at altitude is just perspective easily shown in experiments.

Just prove it's a globe so I can sleep.

Not pictures or fisheye lenses. Real proof. Hard evidence. I gave some real dedication to this topic and am further away from the truth than ever.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

That's not true. I except truth.

This grammar error actually makes your post ironically funny, because you are saying (in a Flat Earth thread) that you discount truth instead of accepting it.

Though if you ask me, it looks like you are doubting for the sake of doubting. If you were willing to actually look this up honestly, you'd find a treasure trove of information that definitively proves that the Earth is round. Others have already suggested this experiment, but here is a source backing up its validity.

Even a Kid Can Prove the Earth Is Round: Here's How

One of the best documented methods for determining the Earth's roundness was first performed (to our knowledge) by the ancient Greeks. This was achieved by comparing the shadows of sticks in different locations. When the sun was directly overhead in one place, the stick there cast no shadow. At the same time in a city around 500 miles north, the stick there did cast a shadow.

If the Earth were flat then both sticks should show the same shadow (or lack of) because they would be positioned at the same angle towards the sun. The ancient Greeks found the shadows were different because the Earth was curved and so the sticks were at different angles. They then used the difference in these angles to calculate the circumference of the Earth. They managed to get it to within 10% of the true value – not bad for around 250 B.C.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The same distance models can be used to confirm that earth is flat over Lake Michigan. Been done.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join