It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 Child Brides In America. Worse than Afghanistan?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

i live in nc and when i was like 13 we went to visit a distant relation on harkers island i went outside where a girl was hanging laundry outside the girl was very pregnant i asked if my moms relative was her grandmom she said no that was her grandmother inlaw i asked how old she was she said she was 12 i asked her where she went to scholl she said she didn't cause she was married. its a shameful practice that its still allowed. by the way when relative saw me talking to girl she had a fit and ran us off why mom didn't call law i have no idea.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well I asked the wife her being a lawyer and she said according to west law In nine states — Oklahoma, Ohio, Maryland, New Mexico, North Carolina, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Florida — exceptions exist to allow minors who are pregnant to marry, and in some of the states with a pregnancy exception, there is also no minimum age for marriage. In states like California, Colorado, and Pennsylvania, there is no minimum age if the court decides the marriage is appropriate. But heres the key in all states with exceptions a judge must make the decision. In othere words no One can marry below 17 without a court order. And when it does hapen most are because of Romeo and Juliet laws. Which involves children who were dating. In schools. These laws vary but usually cover the ages of 14 to 19 and say that if a relationship existed in school and they are no more then 3 yrs apart can have consensual sex. Many states 17 year olds can legally Wed with parents consent. These laws protects the older one from statutory rape charges,, in the event of pregnancies judges can authorize marriages.

So article is wrong and these child brides are nnothing like the Taliban.

brettpodolsky.com...
edit on 3/5/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Your post reads like a bunch of 17 year olds married a bunch of 17 year olds.

Then people says “200,000” teens got married. Then one girl aged 11 got married under some loophole 10 years ago and you want to make it seem like it has happened over and over which isn’t the case.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: Raggedyman

I think religion does have a hand in it so does some cultural aspects plus poverty.
I can not find any atheist groups pushing for the age of marriage to be lower though.

Can you tell me what religions advocate unmarried sex, child marriage
Just asking

Cultural aspects and poverty are just excuses, doesn't Hollywood have a history, pizzas?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Where in Biblical text is sex before marriages considered acceptable.
It's a simple question

Whats your point.

The Bible is just a glimpse of history, life has moved on .....

Are you trying to infer that sex outside of marriage is something modern?

Seems like you are the expert on the Bible so you tell me.....because many

pedophiles currently being unveiled are the ones pushing the Bible.

What's my point
I guess you will have to work it out for yourself

And to suggest it's only religious people, I know of school teachers who abuse children
It's endemic, across all cultures and all classes

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Well there are massive sects of polygamy all over the states.
Look at that monster Warren Jeffs for example.

In my opinion religion should never trump the law of the land.

Your post has no source so let me give one
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The whole sell a girl to help the family situation is not an American practice to my knowledge but brainwashed people is another story. This country does facilitate brainwashing in the daily news feed alone.

Very often here, we get spoiled princess' demanding and often getting 'their way'.

The Warren Jeff's do exist and obviously are frowned upon by most all of America.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: JAGStorm

all " marriage licences " - should include free firearms and live rounds

Sounds like you're also a proponent of men having many wives because if they pass that law, many men will run to get that deal. Run to it, I say! Guns and Sex sell big time in the movies. Some guys will go, it isn't worth it until they threw in the live rounds and "how many do I get?"

I married an Annie Oakley type, I could have used a spare for me from the marriage license cause she gets to use whatever she wants (of course).

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Well I asked the wife her being a lawyer and she said according to west law In nine states — Oklahoma, Ohio, Maryland, New Mexico, North Carolina, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Florida — exceptions exist to allow minors who are pregnant to marry, and in some of the states with a pregnancy exception, there is also no minimum age for marriage. In states like California, Colorado, and Pennsylvania, there is no minimum age if the court decides the marriage is appropriate. But heres the key in all states with exceptions a judge must make the decision. In othere words no One can marry below 17 without a court order. And when it does hapen most are because of Romeo and Juliet laws. Which involves children who were dating. In schools. These laws vary but usually cover the ages of 14 to 19 and say that if a relationship existed in school and they are no more then 3 yrs apart can have consensual sex. Many states 17 year olds can legally Wed with parents consent. These laws protects the older one from statutory rape charges,, in the event of pregnancies judges can authorize marriages.

So article is wrong and these child brides are nnothing like the Taliban.

brettpodolsky.com...

Indeed, that's the reality.

The reason the far left needs mass unvetted migrants, including lots of extremists, is because many are in favor of actual child marriages. They've been pushing us down the slippery slope for quite a while, and their next goal is evident.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Don't forget Roy Moore's home state!

Child marriage is still legal in Alabama, but on the decline
www.al.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jenkinswasher
Gotta Love how Painterz comes in dropping a steaming pile without any references and gets scores of stars.

Nyiah then comes in to try to save the day with a link about 200,000+ child marriages of girls aged 18 and younger. As if to imply all 200k of those kids are seven years old. And her previous post showed a part of America from 2 generations ago.

Complete bunk folks. Anyone who buys this is inviting this thinking right back into the country.

Don't let the enemy roll back your clocks to the dark ages.

People must look like ants from atop that shiny pedestal of yours, eh?

The links I provided underscore a serious issue we accuse other nations of being perpetrators of, while legally allowing it ourselves. The Pew figures focused on mid-teens to majority age brides, which no, does not paint the whole Minor brides picture. It's why I supplied the NPR article discussing this further. Did you bother to read it, or are you just soapboxing trying to look good?

As for the Sherry Johnson article, maybe you should just email her & tell her she didn't accomplish anything worthwhile in banning underage marriage because it's bunk.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Girls as young as 10 have been forced into marriages under legal loopholes that allow minors to be married in certain situations, such as parental consent or pregnancy. With over 200,000 minors married to older men over the last 15 years alone.

Is this the Taliban in action across the USA? Sadly not. This is a significant cultural movement which is seeing old men marrying underaged girls because 'God'.

In May Chris Christie refused to sign in a law banning the practice because he said it would conflict with 'religious customs'. Was he protecting Islamic customs? Of course not, this is white Christian custom.

At least 207,468 minors married in the US between 2000 and 2015, according to data compiled by Unchained At Last and investigative series Frontline.

The youngest wedded were three 10-year-old girls in Tennessee who married men aged 24, 25 and 31 in 2001.

Children as young as 12 were granted marriage licences in Alaska, Louisiana and South Carolina, while 11 other states allowed 13-year-olds to wed.

More than 1,000 children aged 14 or under were granted marriage licences.

Pretty shocking numbers. This is exactly the sort of thing people regularly and rightly criticise Sharia law for allowing, yet here it is happening on a massive scale across America.

Just say Christian. Leave 'white' out of it.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

And to suggest it's only religious people, I know of school teachers who abuse children
It's endemic, across all cultures and all classes

Did I suggest that?

Or did I simply point out the hypocricy of those in a position of 'guardians of

morality' and preached 'brimstone and hell fire' for sinners.......

were themselves far from "practicing what they preached."

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Girls as young as 10 have been forced into marriages under legal loopholes that allow minors to be married in certain situations, such as parental consent or pregnancy. With over 200,000 minors married to older men over the last 15 years alone.

Is this the Taliban in action across the USA? Sadly not. This is a significant cultural movement which is seeing old men marrying underaged girls because 'God'.

In May Chris Christie refused to sign in a law banning the practice because he said it would conflict with 'religious customs'. Was he protecting Islamic customs? Of course not, this is white Christian custom.

At least 207,468 minors married in the US between 2000 and 2015, according to data compiled by Unchained At Last and investigative series Frontline.

The youngest wedded were three 10-year-old girls in Tennessee who married men aged 24, 25 and 31 in 2001.

Children as young as 12 were granted marriage licences in Alaska, Louisiana and South Carolina, while 11 other states allowed 13-year-olds to wed.

More than 1,000 children aged 14 or under were granted marriage licences.

Pretty shocking numbers. This is exactly the sort of thing people regularly and rightly criticise Sharia law for allowing, yet here it is happening on a massive scale across America.

Fake news!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This constant jumping around for age to be legal this, legal that.

Just make it ALL legal at one age, 18, and be done with it. Because seriously, if someone can't wait a couple years for something, then they probably aren't responsible enough to do whatever it is anyhow.

There really needs to be one, clear cut delineation of adulthood. This whole thing about different ages for sex, marriage, drinking, entering into legal contracts, etc. is ridiculous. You're either a child, or an adult. And once there, be done with it.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend for our lawmakers?

As for marrying kids, I don't care what name you give to your imaginary friend, or whether you believe in magically transformed crackers and wine, or magic underwear, or a magic vest that lets you talk to him, DON'T MARRY THE KIDS! C'mon...I mean, this is not rocket science people. Nobody should even have to tell you this.
edit on 5-3-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: eletheia

The most often use of the "loophole": boy and girl are in love. One or both are between 15 and 18. Local culture is a bit slow, maybe, and still accepts 15 as ok for marriage (it was common in my parents generation). So parents sign off on the marriage, rather than keep fighting against a roaring fire of passion.

I grew up around it. Seen it a ton.

This was what I saw in Southern NM growing up as well. In my high school years, NM had the highest per capita rate of teen pregnancy in the nation and my hometown was highest per capita in the state. Unfortunately, the age difference almost always ran toward "boy is graduated or close to it, girl is knocked up and drops out with a couple years left."

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I think it is a mistake trying to judge those marriages years ago by today's standard.

My mother married at 17 but she also had a job bringing in income when she was 10 years old. She assisted in the kitchen and baby-sat for a wealthy family that owned a home on the beach. Times were different and children were far more mature than our children today.

I am in my mid sixties and even when I was a child, things were different. We were much more mature than young people today. We had responsibilities and much more was expected of us, and not just household chores. I grew up in the country so we worked in fields, worked on the docks, and many of us did odd jobs at local farms and businesses. We had to earn our own money of we wanted something, going to Mom and Dad and saying I want, got you the "People in hell want ice water" retort.

My work as a Forensic Nurse places me too up close and personal with young boys and girls that have been victims of inappropriate adult contact. It is not something that is taken lightly and it is a problem that is being aggressively fought, so by no means am I excusing any part of child abuse or child marriage. But we can't lump the marriages of young people today in the same category of the marriages of the past.

edit on 5-3-2018 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Was he protecting Islamic customs? Of course not, this is white Christian custom.

They'll try to shift the blame on Islam.

Welcome to America.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Unless it changed (again), Midland, TX had the unfortunate distinction of "US Teen Pregnancy Capital".

A couple years later an an epidemic was declared for teenage VD in Midland/Odessa.

I see a connection in the two.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: Raggedyman

I think religion does have a hand in it so does some cultural aspects plus poverty.
I can not find any atheist groups pushing for the age of marriage to be lower though.

It is 100% cultural and/or human desire. Doesn't matter what label they put on it, so saying something is religious doesn't actually mean it is religious...

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Unless it changed (again), Midland, TX had the unfortunate distinction of "US Teen Pregnancy Capital".

A couple years later an an epidemic was declared for teenage VD in Midland/Odessa.

I see a connection in the two.

Are we talking teens screwing teens, or is this adults chasing teens? I don't think people realize the underage marriage is for teens to marry teens. Today that seems like a very wrong thing to do, but in our not too distant past it was the best choice. Today the idea of parents giving approval for two teens to marry is very archaic to say the least, but then we do not expect a 14 year old today to be working an adult job either, hell you are lucky if you can get your kids out of the house by age 25.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join