It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a snapshot of what's wrong with the economy.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What we need is deflation not pay increases. 3 years ago :

Mcdonalds had dollar menu --> today $2 and up = +100%
Pringles 88cents --> today $1.50 = 48%

Now do this for insurance, rent, water, electricity, Cola, gas, etc............. Everything went up by a lot in only the last 3 years. So there is 2 ways of looking at this, increase pay, or let prices reflect reality (which government can't ever let happen).

link   

Now do this for insurance, rent, water, electricity, Cola, gas, etc............. Everything went up by a lot in only the last 3 years. So there is 2 ways of looking at this, increase pay, or let prices reflect reality (which government can't ever let happen).

link   

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Right, and those corporation's run to 3rd world, because taxes and regs increase the cost of running a business. As a business man, what would you do? Bankrupt your business manufacturing within the States (over taxed and regulated) or go where the labor is cheaper? Soon enough you'll get a taste for the cheap labor. Again, the culprit is government standing in the way, not capitalism.

Perhaps some of the corps run to 3rd world because of regs and taxes. But I bet the cost of goods is the #1 reason for the moves.
All someone has to do is goto Alibaba.com and check the prices of Chinese and Vietnamese made goods and compare them to the store costs. Hint Walmart is buying shipping containers full of jeans for .25 cents a pound and boots for a few dollars a pair.
It is only about profits, and this is what a corporation is supposed to do. We can't blame them, their only responsibility is to create value for the share holders.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: HanSolo31

3 replies, personal record?

If there is deflationary pressure, wages would fall or benefits would increase to keep the wages low. Profits only come from low pay, low quality and outsourcing.

edit on 9-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: nwtrucker

so is 9 million or so illegals and to suggest that here's a high percentage of 'skilled' labor in that crowd is beyond laughable.

Oh the right wing propaganda has you hook line and sinker.

Hate to break it to you but a lot of illegals have trade skills including machine operating, machining, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, masonry, automotive.

You just have no idea.

You are the propaganda purveyor. I've been in all 50 states, trucking in 49 of them. Do not try pushing a lot have trade skills that are illegals. Pure bunk. Some? A few? Very few.

The vast majority do not. That isn't political, it is fact. By the way, my daughter married a Mexican and I have a Mexican-American granddaughter, so don't pull your spin on me. I know better.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I have heard a huge # of corps giving one time bonuses based on years in.
I have heard a few raising wages and benefits.

The idea of cutting corp taxes was to make US corps more competitive. "Giving" the tax saving away makes no sense.

Yes it does. That very list is proof of it. The evidence is all around and growing daily.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

15 companies giving one time bonuses is nice. And I wonder if the bonuses are structured to increase as years of service increase?

What really needs to happen is pay increases.

NOTES BB&T also raised minimum hourly pay rate from $12 to $15, effective Jan. 1, 2018; Fifth Third Bank also boosted minimum wage to $15 per hour for all employees; PNC Financial also will raise minimum pay rate to $15 an hour by the end of 2018.
www.usatoday.com...

Hardly a huge number of corps.

Sigh, you can marginalize it all you want. The tax cuts have barely happened. The momentum is growing with corporations announcing almost daily. Heck, there numerous threads on it.

Are you trying to say that the average US worker is being compensated well?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanSolo31
a reply to: toysforadults

This is a symptom of the real problem. That government is addicted to money and thus must fight deflation with everything they have. As a result, everything got more expensive. Automation is eliminating jobs, and salaries have been rising slower than costs of living. Unless you believe the Feds CPI. Or how I call it, CP LIE.

Hate to break it to you, we are all addicted to money.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
4 pages in and not a word about the credit crisis.... oh wait, even though we the American people (and not our government) have added $15trillion to our personal debt over the last 9 years, we're still not calling it that are we?

Fools... the lot of you. Left wing, right wing, it doesn't matter. You're all addicted to credit and that is a big part of what is killing our economy.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Walmart wouldn't be around with their crappy wages if we would stop bottle necking our markets so that more honest businesses could compete...not just for customers, but for workers. So massive cuts in regulations would solve a host of issues, including the 3rd world problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

So massive cuts in regulations would solve a host of issues, including the 3rd world problem.

You sound like you know what you're talking about. Would you mind sharing a list of the regulations you think should be cut?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Maybe we should look at the reasons for the huge debt load.

I think if the productivity gains made by US workers would have been shared like they were before the mid 1970's medical coverage-homes-college-dental work would all be within the average workers grasp. But wages have been stagnated and prices have gone up.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Walmart wouldn't be around with their crappy wages if we would stop bottle necking our markets so that more honest businesses could compete...not just for customers, but for workers. So massive cuts in regulations would solve a host of issues, including the 3rd world problem.

Some people would say that regs are not being properly enforced. Like regs and laws against monopolistic corporate actions and practices better knows as anti-trust.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Actually yes, its is a personal record, god darn browser. Regarding your comment, this is only true because you have probably never experienced deflation (nor have I). Wages do not respond instantly to prices, they lag. When people buy less because they believe prices will go lower, quality of product would actually get better because they now must compete to get you to spend your $$. When money is everywhere, they can outsource, and reduce quality. They can afford to, literally. Ford was profitable in Detroit back in the 60-70's, and paying fairly, and employees lived very comfortably. I know this, cause my father worked for them, we had 2 cars, a house, and a very comfortable life.

Not saying that im right though, but there are different ways of looking at this.
edit on 9-2-2018 by HanSolo31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Yeah my grandmothers generation owned 2 houses one in New Jersey and one in the Pocono's on factory jobs. Retired well, pensions until 2008, plenty of money in the bank account and paid for their kids to start business's and go to college.

Factory jobs.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Sounds like you have a solid grasp.

Deflation would also effect the product that the workers labor is "building". So I can only imagine that the corps would come to the employees about costs and reducing hours and raising prices for benefits.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

When I find an 'average American worker'. I'll ask him what he thinks.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Sounds like you have a solid grasp.

Deflation would also effect the product that the workers labor is "building". So I can only imagine that the corps would come to the employees about costs and reducing hours and raising prices for benefits.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.

Agreed.

But just like nothing happens in a vacuum, nothing in the world can only go up. Everything that goes up must come down, and everything that has beginning must have an end. This is true no matter how much we attempt (futilely) to fight this. Stock goes up, must come down, life starts, thus must end. We can create creative medicine, QE, and various methods to delay the inevitable, but it has to happen. The more we delay it, the stronger the rebound/blowback is. Inflation must have deflation, prices that go up must come down. The alternative is hyper-inflation and destroying a currency and then creating a new, thus bringing prices down again. It will happen, just how and when.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join