It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a snapshot of what's wrong with the economy.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Teikiatsu

13 an hour ends up at around 380 a week after all taxes are taken out which include local and state. Yes they take fed but you get a lot of that back and the number is kinda low.

rent for an apartment usually runs around 600 here which is really low for the country
minumum cell phone is 40 a month which is actually pretty cheap and don't give me the live without a cellphone nonsense it's not reasonable in todays world
let's do winter eletricity, my bill is over 300 and I turn the heat off when I'm at work
garbage bags are $10 each and you have to use the city ones
to feed myself for a week while living somewhat healthy is around 100-120 a week and I'm not buying a lot with that food has gottan massively expensive
gas for car is around 20-50 a week depending on the week, car is paid off
insurance is around 125 per month
internet is around 40 and don't give me live without the internet nonsense it's cheaper than a lot of other ways to fill your free time
gym membership is 22 and that's very low and to me it's considered a necessity because being health is important and less expensive

this is just a basic off the top of my head breakdown of cost let's look at the totals

bare minumum, nothing happens to my car my glasses don't break I don't need new boots for work off the top of my head need 1707 a month to stay alive

13 an hour on 40 hours a week is 1520 after taxes

I made do with no cell phone, no internet, no cable. I bought bargain basement movies and a used playstation. money was rationed on a daily basis after bills. We had a group of friends that we would play card games, board games and RPGs with. We didn't party on weekends. Gym membership? That's what walking or biking to work is for. I mowed the lawn and did other handy-man work around the apartment to lower the rent. Internet? That's what the library was for.

Get over yourselves.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Try FreedomPop SIM card. You will probably pay a little at first until you figure out how to decline all the paid services, but it is free cell service.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Hmmm, yeah going to be hard to finish my degree without a phone and internet, I'm sure that's going to work

oh you did without a cellphone and internet in the 90's that's cute

it sounds to me like you are the one who needs to get over themselves, typical response from someone when you give them a breakdown of what the basics cost in todays world and the gym membership for 22 and the cell phone and internet bills total up 102 total, big deal and the internet and cellphone are mandatory in todays world it's not over 2 decades ago anymore

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItsNotIronic
Try FreedomPop SIM card. You will probably pay a little at first until you figure out how to decline all the paid services, but it is free cell service.

you do realize I make more than 13 an hour right? it's a ridiculous point that you guys are making for people not to have phone services and e-mail services in the modern world you are irrelevant in thinking

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Get over yourselves.

Next time you use that snooty attitude on a low paid fast food worker and they spit in your burger or wipe their ass with one of the buns you can remind yourself while chowing down that its all their fault....

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Someone said cell phone is $40 minimum. I said try FreedomPop, it's free.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

It says "Inspection Lead", not Manager or Director. That's probably a Team Leader position, which is at least 3 tiers below a General Manager.

It says inspection lead because, like many corps, they did away with alot of middle management and now the little people do the big work for low pay.

They "new" positions come up with official names like crewleader or head- lead and do away with a shift manager and only have a day manager who's ass is always on call 24-7. It is a way to get the little guy to take all the responsibility without the reward.
edit on 9-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I hate it when you are so logical it forces me to do mental gymnastics so I can feel good about fighting against people making better wages and it's to late for gymnastics

edit on 9-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   

a reply to: seasonal

I hate it when you are so logical it forces me to do mental gymnastics so I can feel good about fighting against people making better wages and it's to late for gymnastics

I could learn a thing or two, I just went straight for "take your entitled attitude and shove it"...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I think it's a talent lol, but I find that comedy has a way of getting a point across

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I met up with a few buddies of mine to play some Magic the Gathering tonight at the university. Next to us were a group of even bigger social rejects, going on about things that even nerds find too nerdy, and being loud/obnoxious while doing it.

During that, one of the people I was with who has been at Wendys for 4 years said he was glad he missed the previous get together due to work, because there he would be getting paid $11/hour rather than have to listen to a mix of power rangers and anime theme songs over and over. I should mention that he's a manager. 4 years with the company and the shift manager (only the store manager, and then the store owner above him) and all he's getting is $11/hour.

Wages are absolute crap. I won the job lottery, so I have no room to complain about what I make, but the other 5 people who were at this get together with us, I make so much more from my part time job, that it could still pay all their salaries and leave me with more than minimum wage left over.

Income inequality is far too high.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Templeton

I don't know anywhere in the country where 13 dollars can pay all of yours bills and I'm not even talking $130 a month cellphone bills either because Millennial's blah blah blah right wing rhetoric.

I'm talking, car (and a little extra because cars do need to get fixed and get brakes and have things like flat tires) to even get back and forth to work and I'm not including car payment in this I'm assuming you can't afford a brand new car with this kind of money so you have an old beater. I'm talking electricity in the winter costing over $300 a month, rent, water, garbage, gas for the car you have to have a phone of some sort and basic things like food and shoes or boots for work and things like that.

$13 an hour doesn't cover that anymore.

Where I live, you can get by on $850/month (including food stamps or any other assistance). That's rent, car, food, etc... it's not particularly comfortable but it's doable. I live in a 1500 sqft apartment that has all utilities included and costs me $450/month. It even has a yard that others mow, I don't even have to deal with that.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Dude no one has a 1500 sq ft anything with all utilities included for for 4t0 a month I can never believe anything you say

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

no he's saying you qualify for food stamps at $13 an hour

That's a problem with food stamps, not an employer.

How do you figure ?

Because the S in SNAP is for Supplemental. At $13 an hour you don't need to be supplemented. Learn to budget.

I'm sure you could list us a simple budget on how to make $13 an hour based off a 40 hour week work .....

One should spend 10% of income on food, so $13/hour means $52/week. $208/month without assistance. Seems doable if you're single.

edit on 10-2-2018 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItsNotIronic

Someone said cell phone is $40 minimum. I said try FreedomPop, it's free.

Low cost cell phones are available, what will get you though is a data plan. You can get around that by using free wifi, and purchasing your own home internet service. Never use data. I pay about $10/month for my phone, it was a $40 phone 4 years ago when I bought it in cash. It's junk, but it makes calls and can use the web if I have to.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Dude no one has a 1500 sq ft anything with all utilities included for for 4t0 a month I can never believe anything you say

I live in small town Ohio. That's what housing prices are still like here.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

no he's saying you qualify for food stamps at $13 an hour

That's a problem with food stamps, not an employer.

How do you figure ?

Because the S in SNAP is for Supplemental. At $13 an hour you don't need to be supplemented. Learn to budget.

I'm sure you could list us a simple budget on how to make $13 an hour based off a 40 hour week work .....

One should spend 10% of income on food, so $13/hour means $52/week. $208/month without assistance. Seems doable if you're single.

$50 a week you have got be kidding, so could you break down how one should spend that 7 dollars a day and how it will impact their health, I'm assuming you budgeted for medical needs when you crunched those numbers...

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I live in small town Ohio. That's what housing prices are still like here.

How do landlords make money and pay for repairs if they only charge 450 a month inc bills for an apartment that size, that's like 400m2 that's massive.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It’s happening across N.America, blue collar middle class jobs are disappearing and have disappeared since the 80’s

My work has hired 200 full time employees in the last 2 years at 25/hour, full benefits including 100 percent dental even for things like porcelain veneers, as well as a match pension, 3% of your pay and they match 3% with a bonus 1%

The work is out there but far and few between and there will be a lot more losers than winners...I feel sorry if you were born later than 95

Also to note, we get double time for overtime and get payed every week

I haven’t taken home less than 1400 a week since the new year but I am working 60 hours
edit on 10-2-2018 by ADUB77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

What state is this. Cost of living adjustment could make that $13 an hour closer to $18 an hour in your state.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join