It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a snapshot of what's wrong with the economy.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Right, and those corporation's run to 3rd world, because taxes and regs increase the cost of running a business. As a business man, what would you do? Bankrupt your business manufacturing within the States (over taxed and regulated) or go where the labor is cheaper? Soon enough you'll get a taste for the cheap labor. Again, the culprit is government standing in the way, not capitalism.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: nwtrucker

While there is validity to it, supply and demand will address it in the long run.

You're wrong and in your own post you list exactly why.

Supply and demand.

This wage signifies a larger trend in the market where there is a massive abundance of supply in the labor pool driving down wages.

In some areas, yes. In others no. California is a lousy example to measure the overall U.S. economy as the continuing and increasing departure of corporations from the granola state is a major contributor to the situation...so is 9 million or so illegals and to suggest that here's a high percentage of 'skilled' labor in that crowd is beyond laughable.

I'd go as far to say California AND Californians deserve the current situation. They elected them, they created the environment where the jobs are leaving and the unskilled are arriving and it has NOTHING to do with economy and everything to do with politics.

The jobs are going to Arizona and Texas. Want higher wages? Move to where the wages are higher.

link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Numbers and sources please.

The list of companies that increasing wages, benefits, paid family and sick leave is going up fast, especially since the tax cut.

You must be from 2012 because I rarely see people verifying there perspective anymore everyone just wants sexy sounding rhetoric with no substance nowadays.

It was verified by the TV where the information came from, no need for fact checking.

link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

$13 an hour for the responsibilities of lead inspection of quality control already means that wages have been reduced, with out the correlating cost of living coming down.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The list of companies that increasing wages, benefits, paid family and sick leave is going up fast, especially since the tax cut.

You must be from 2012 because I rarely see people verifying there perspective anymore everyone just wants sexy sounding rhetoric with no substance nowadays.

It was verified by the TV where the information came from, no need for fact checking.

That made me chuckle, my cat Cooper looked at me....

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Ok so a baseless feeling. Got it.

I mean I verify my perspective in every thread with legitimate sources and supporting evidence yet the people who argue against it never do the same.

Makes ya wonder why doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

No it doesn't make me wonder.

The cost of living has been increasing since the mid to late 1970's without correlating raises in pay. The small scraps given to workers over the last month is nice, but putting tires on the car with a one time bonus solves nothing.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

$13 an hour for the responsibilities of lead inspection of quality control already means that wages have been reduced, with out the correlating cost of living coming down.

I coulda swore QA used to be a 50k a year job and thought of as respectable.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Don't even go there tires are expensive. Fricken hassle actually.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I know. My company did the same thing to us. A $20/hr position reduced down to $13. Thankfully, I was grandfathered in, but a few years later, the work environment became so overwhelming and unpleasant that everyone pretty much quit and customers left. When I left, they begged me to stay because they couldn't find anyone who would fill the position for such a low wage. It won't be long before they're bought out. They already told us that (along with how expendable we where to them). So what goes around really does come around, but it usually works better and faster when government isn't trying to play righteous judge.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

so is 9 million or so illegals and to suggest that here's a high percentage of 'skilled' labor in that crowd is beyond laughable.

Oh the right wing propaganda has you hook line and sinker.

Hate to break it to you but a lot of illegals have trade skills including machine operating, machining, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, masonry, automotive.

You just have no idea.

link   

I can recall at a very large manufacturing plant I worked for that QA had veteran employees that were very good at doing their jobs. As they retired the corp hired temps to do the job. They also allowed supply companies to self QA product-yes self QA.
Needless to say we had a few fires in processes that required certain ingredients very low moisture or poof fires- all caused by self inspect ingredients that passed self QA with flying colors. But......

The US has a labor snob problem. Everyone thinks this job or that job is for idiots. But if that janitor doesn't clean that toilet correctly you are sitting in someone else's sh-t.

edit on 9-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

link   

Ah, your joking. You haven't been following the Corporations in creasing wages? The ones increasing benefits?

I"ll see if I can find a list and you can take it from there...

P.S. This is a little one just from yesterday. While I'm looking for a list
edit on 9-2-2018 by nwtrucker because: P.S.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I know. My company did the same thing to us. A $20/hr position reduced down to $13. Thankfully, I was grandfathered in, but a few years later, the work environment became so overwhelming and unpleasant that everyone pretty much quit and customers left. When I left, they begged me to stay because they couldn't find anyone who would fill the position for such a low wage. It won't be long before they're bought out. They already told us that (along with how expendable we where to them). So what goes around really does come around, but it usually works better and faster when government isn't trying to play righteous judge.

Remember when Lowe's and Home Depot used to pay people 18-20 an hour then when they IPO'd dropped all the wages down to 8 an hour??

My uncle worked there for years as a former tradesmen making 20 an hour. Not now!! The sales team used to get commission too.

They even gave their employees stock options and made a bunch of millionaires back then as well.
edit on 9-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I have heard a huge # of corps giving one time bonuses based on years in.
I have heard a few raising wages and benefits.

The idea of cutting corp taxes was to make US corps more competitive. "Giving" the tax saving away makes no sense.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Here we go. This one only goes into Jan. there's been numerous more since this.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If we had a true free market without redundant regulations bottle necking growth, employees would be more free to seek out more honest employers, and big shots like Lowe's and Home Depot would come crumbling down.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

This is a symptom of the real problem. That government is addicted to money and thus must fight deflation with everything they have. As a result, everything got more expensive. Automation is eliminating jobs, and salaries have been rising slower than costs of living. Unless you believe the Feds CPI. Or how I call it, CP LIE.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

15 companies giving one time bonuses is nice. And I wonder if the bonuses are structured to increase as years of service increase?

What really needs to happen is pay increases.

NOTES BB&T also raised minimum hourly pay rate from $12 to $15, effective Jan. 1, 2018; Fifth Third Bank also boosted minimum wage to $15 per hour for all employees; PNC Financial also will raise minimum pay rate to $15 an hour by the end of 2018.
www.usatoday.com...

Hardly a huge number of corps.

Are you trying to say that the average US worker is being compensated well?
edit on 9-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Fine the situation is there. I'm no longer a Republican and haven't been a Democrat for decades.

The point is it is turning around. It's not an overnight thing and I believe....well, hope we've seen the worst of it.

JMO, though.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join