It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a snapshot of what's wrong with the economy.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I had to take a smaller picture and couldn't include all of the information to protect the identity of this poster from a jobs group I've been to lazy to take myself out of and my own of course.

Ok, now $13.00 an hour to me is nothing I wouldn't work for that for longer than a few weeks in between large gaps in commercial construction projects so I don't have to dip into my savings during slow periods like winter. Like 2 weeks and I would want to quit and probably would. My point though here is that these positions are lead positions (not technically supervisors but it's like a junior supervisory position). You would think typically that someone performing a leadership roll as a QA inspector or in the receiving department carry a small amount of responsibility and are important to the over all mission of the company.

The QA inspector typically ensures that the end user experience is a positive one which is hugely important to the brand of the company. I would consider this mission critical.

The same thing with receiving. They have to inspect merchandise and verify it's authenticity, inventory the product and make sure it gets to the right destination. Also a mission critical job and very important the continuity of business.

The fact that these positions now only demand $13 an hour should clue you in to where the economy is at and is headed into the future.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

So then the problem is cost of living, not the $13/hour lead position. Simple fix. Dismantle draconian federal/state regulations, snip the red tape, and reform taxes to a flat rate consumer tax, and you pocket more money while the cost of rent, groceries, and utilities drops.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I think this issue more relates to the value of the dollar and the printing of money and low interest rates causing high inflation than anything.

Also, real estate is way over valued and rental cost is as well but that probably has more to do with what your talking about.

edit on 9-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Some context would help. $13 an hour in Topeka is decent money. Not so much in San Francisco. That aside, QA techs are not as mission critical as you think. They follow a script and check a box. Almost anyone can do it without education or skills. The pay reflects that. I'm surprised they have to throw in the benefits.
edit on 9-2-2018 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I take quality control is not all that quality...

This stinks, like the food industry, if you pay people peanuts for which are vital roles in a functioning society it is little wonder people are getting sick , I guess though looking at it from a business perspective it's a win win, lack of hygiene and quality control leads to illness which leads to prescriptions, which makes $.
edit on 9-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

I don't know anywhere in the country where 13 dollars can pay all of yours bills and I'm not even talking $130 a month cellphone bills either because Millennial's blah blah blah right wing rhetoric.

I'm talking, car (and a little extra because cars do need to get fixed and get brakes and have things like flat tires) to even get back and forth to work and I'm not including car payment in this I'm assuming you can't afford a brand new car with this kind of money so you have an old beater. I'm talking electricity in the winter costing over $300 a month, rent, water, garbage, gas for the car you have to have a phone of some sort and basic things like food and shoes or boots for work and things like that.

$13 an hour doesn't cover that anymore.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Young folks just out of college jump at a chance like that. Companies go for that type of employee as they work cheap and they can always get shed of em later. Never mind a keyword "experience" .They got rid of their experienced veteran employee cause they made too much money..
Wonder why they didnt resource offshore ?

Yes , that is what is wrong with the US today.

edit on 2/9/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

if you pay people peanuts for which are vital roles in a functioning society

Good point. People tend to devalue other humans working in this position because they don't value the over all contribution they make to having a decent society to live in. This is actually causing our society to crumble as people no longer feel valuable unless they have a high paying job and turn to alchohol, drugs and gambling.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Yeah, that's a significant factor too. It drags on the economy, which makes businesses try to look for the best labor at the lowest possible cost. Add corporate tax in the mix, and you have corporations hiking up the price of goods/services to cover the illegitimate tax, thus transfering the tax to the consumer. So really, the problem is intrusive federal government.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Young folks just out of college jump at a chance like that. Companies go for that type of employee as they work cheap and they can always get shed of em later. Never mind a keyword "experience" .They got rid of their experienced veteran employee cause they made too much money..

Back when I worked in a warehouse in California I was working alongside people with Bachelor's from Berkeley. This was years ago. We made nearly the same amount of money, a lot more than 13 but less than 20. These same jobs used to average 18+ an hour before the crash in 08. Most of them paid 20+.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I agree with your point of view I just wanted to point out another casual factor.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Not only that but it lowers the quality of life for everyone, including those in high paying jobs.

Sadly though this is not the case and as we see even on these boards how little respect people who perform these roles get, the cabbie story from the other day is a good example.
edit on 9-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: lisdexia rules ko

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Not just San Fran but all of California. In order to live in California, you have to have a corporate career, work in Hollyweird, the tech industry, academia or be a politician.

If your a blue collar worker, your s**** outta luck. Not even trades can save you.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I generally get disgusted by some of the post I read and wonder how can people be so fricken selfish.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I generally get disgusted by some of the post I read and wonder how can people be so fricken selfish.

So do I, it's sickening.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Not just San Fran but all of California. In order to live in California, you have to have a corporate career, work in Hollyweird, the tech industry, academia or be a politician.

If your a blue collar worker, your s**** outta luck. Not even trades can save you.

Trades in California are some of the worst places to be.

You can't compete with companies willing to us illegal labor. They can outbid you and have better margins. Purchase the materials up front because they have lower overhead and you can never find work.

People think illegal work low skill jobs but I have news for you, illegals are very skilled tradesmen. Especially Mexican's and they take pride in it.
edit on 9-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Sorry, but your taking one position at one firm and then make a blanket statement about the whole economy.

While there is validity to it, supply and demand will address it in the long run.

Besides, if that job say doubles in salary, guess what your inflation is going to look like....

edit on 9-2-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Gothmog

Back when I worked in a warehouse in California I was working alongside people with Bachelor's from Berkeley. This was years ago. We made nearly the same amount of money, a lot more than 13 but less than 20. These same jobs used to average 18+ an hour before the crash in 08. Most of them paid 20+.

When I started at one of the largest tech companies in the known universe , a piece of "paper" and 50 cents would get you a cup of coffee out of the vending machine. Companies wanted talent and experience no matter what they had to pay. I am living proof.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

In California, people are encouraging their kids to get a white collar job and look down on blue collar workers. They see that blue collar work is beneath them. This is one of the reasons why a lot of white collar Californians s**** on white working class people.

Perhaps in the future when I get out of California, I'll learn a trade. Right now I have to get a white collar job somehow and survive.
edit on 2/9/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

While there is validity to it, supply and demand will address it in the long run.

You're wrong and in your own post you list exactly why.

Supply and demand.

This wage signifies a larger trend in the market where there is a massive abundance of supply in the labor pool driving down wages.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join