It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a snapshot of what's wrong with the economy.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I would say there are too many regs to enforce, and the ones we do enforce tend to be innocuous, redundant, and costly for the smaller businesses.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Starts at $13 per hour, it doesn't top out. 13 is for people will minimal experience, which is pretty good.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

The way I see it is they are lucky they even get paid at all.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Starts at $13 per hour, it doesn't top out. 13 is for people will minimal experience, which is pretty good.

QA inspector lead does not sound like the bottom of the barrel or no experience.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: toysforadults

So then the problem is cost of living, not the $13/hour lead position. Simple fix. Dismantle draconian federal/state regulations, snip the red tape, and reform taxes to a flat rate consumer tax, and you pocket more money while the cost of rent, groceries, and utilities drops.

Your "fixes" wouldn't lower the cost of living, though. Utilities & other service providers would charge far more without regulations, especially in price fixing arrangements w/their "competitors" and when dealing with monopolies. Landlords & grocery stores would have no incentive to start charging less. If anything, fewer regulations would make it easier for landlords to increase prices whenever they wanted to and make it easier for them to evict tenants, both of which would hurt wage earning tenants. And without regulations, we wouldn't have nifty things like warranties or labor laws, which would definitely make things worse for the wage earner.

I've actually been to places that aren't required to pay overtime or give workers benefits. Those places are far worse for workers. Regulations also help reduce things like "wage theft" and refusing to pay employees for months on end, like they do in many poor countries. Add in the effects of getting rid of federal and State minimum wage laws and the situation would get even worse.

If you want to guarantee a decrease in the cost of living, it would require more price controls. But price controls include more regulations instead of fewer regulations.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Depends on the product being inspected, as well as the 'benefits and perks' they offer.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I don't think all regulations are worthless, but we can definitely benefit by getting rid of some building codes, certain restrictive zoning codes, EPA codes (for example, pharmacies have to dispose of empty warfarin and synthroid bottles in separate bins), some license requirements (like cosmetology and hair cutting). Most of these are examples of local regs (EPA is federal), but my point is, regulations cost citizens money, and should be kept to an absolute minimum.

The most important would be tax reform. Abolish income and corporate taxes, and replace it with flat rate consumer tax. Income tax disproportionately burdens the workers, while corporate tax is worked back into consumer costs. That alone would help so many smaller businesses and bring down the cost of living.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Umm there are plenty of out QA positions that pay more. Mtg QA get at least 22 per hour. IT QA gets 40 bucks an hour. U should be going for the bigger companies . The small companies have no money.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

uhhh, I'm not looking for a QA job

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Depends on the product being inspected, as well as the 'benefits and perks' they offer.

Hmm benefits Like you've got a job, perks like you still qualify for food stamps.....

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Then what's your solution?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I agree with the flat tax. Do you think we are going to see prices drop on the consumer level because of the corp tax cuts?

The most important would be tax reform. Abolish income and corporate taxes, and replace it with flat rate consumer tax. Income tax disproportionately burdens the workers, while corporate tax is worked back into consumer costs. That alone would help so many smaller businesses and bring down the cost of living.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

no because the dollar is losing value

they have less purchasing power meaning they have to raise prices in order to stay afloat

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

It depends on the company. Maybe not from the Walmarts and Targets, but the smaller chains may use the extra financial space to save their customers some money. That's what I would do if I was trying to compete with a formidable opponent.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You mean a 10% cut in taxes will be gobbled up immediately by inflation?

Simple answers make for simple problems.

I think we will not see a prices change, and a small % of employees will see the small one time bonus, and corporate profits will increase by the cut in taxes.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

welp with the value of the dollar plummeting a tax break is essentially going to be meaningless as prices start skyrocketing yet AGAIN

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

It depends on the company. Maybe not from the Walmarts and Targets, but the smaller chains may use the extra financial space to save their customers some money. That's what I would do if I was trying to compete with a formidable opponent.

I think we are in a market where the smaller chains already can't afford to drop their prices any lower and are in fact already unable to compete

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I think we are in a market where the smaller chains already can't afford to drop their prices any lower and are in fact already unable to compete

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hmm benefits Like you've got a job, perks like you still qualify for food stamps.....

If you wanna go flip burgers, be my guest.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

no he's saying you qualify for food stamps at $13 an hour

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join