It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOW Down Over 1,000 Points, Uncertainty in the Markets

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

i'm afraid we might be headed for one. many brick and mortar stores and malls are closing or downsizing at a fast pace. amazon and automation are taking over everything, manufacturing is mostly overseas, crypto currencies gaining popularity, i am not sure how this can be spun into a positive thing. perhaps this is part of the uncertainty that is scaring the markets. one thing is for sure a lot of sharks are gonna get rich and make out like bandits through all this.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Another 10% drop would be fantastic for those of us who have additional money that we would like to invest.

I wish I had that problem...

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As I understood it after 8 years of the fed pumping money into the Stock market we are a long way away from where it should be.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Another 10% drop would be fantastic for those of us who have additional money that we would like to invest.

Just dollar cost average...basically always buy regardless of where the market is. You buy when it is high and you buy when it is low. Over time, you will always wind up ahead.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

This is a difficult situation in which our own perceptions and preconceived notions could cause needless panic. In the grand scheme of things, a 4.15% stock market drop is truly nothing remarkable. Even the nearly 1200 point drop last week was only a 4.6% drawdown. To put it into perspective fully, the market today entered correction territory on 2,800 points dropped over the past 2 weeks. In the past a 2,800 point drop in that span would have represented a stock market crash... but today's valuations are far too high to consider this with any degree of fear We'd need another 2600 points gone before it would be considered a bear market and with the job market rocking it, payrolls continuing to climb, and consumer and corporate confidence still at record highs, there's nothing here to indicate this is anything other than a correction...

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Let's go with the Fed.

I'd say their decades long easy money policy certainly has something to do with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Remember all the Trump supporters talking about its all Trumps doing how the stock market rose?

😂😂

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

1000 points today is like 200 points 10 years ago. Those in the media who are whining about points, are fairly ignorant.

Large portfolio Investors drive down the stock market and then repurchase stocks after it reaches predetermined floor levels.

Which is why MSM disingenuously leaves out the percentages vs the points. Compare the petcentage of the 2008 drop to anything over the last week...

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

1000 points today is like 200 points 10 years ago. Those in the media who are whining about points, are fairly ignorant.

Large portfolio Investors drive down the stock market and then repurchase stocks after it reaches predetermined floor levels.

Which is why MSM disingenuously leaves out the percentages vs the points. Compare the petcentage of the 2008 drop to anything over the last week...

They have most Americans brainwashed as well. For instance, if an ats thread is started every time the Dow goes up or down 2%, we're going to need a new forum to hold them all over the next few years.. The economy is growing very fast.. there will be a lot of volatility.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen we have an official correction due to an overinflated stock market and the prospect of inflation.
Now we just have to wait until the interest rate rises start and we see if there are small bulls or large bears on the horizon.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Who's fault is it today? Trump? Obama? The Russians?

Time will tell what is going to happen. Blame isn't going to fix nothing if there is anything to fix besides the over spending in government.

edit on 8-2-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: I spelled something wrong. Didnt want to get busted by grammer police.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: FamCore

"Signs of inflation"

AKA: The Federal Reserve is dicking with the American economy again.

But to be fair, the gains that the market has seen since Trump took hold have, in my relatively uneducated opinion on the stock market, been too much too fast, and the market has been primed for a "correction" for months now.

I don't think that this is anything other than that, plus the dicking with inflation that is a result of the federal reserve (or, at least, a lot of it is). All of the hype, IMO, is just that, as the signs of the actual economy are still looking good. The thing that I noticed is that it seemed that the market was being artificially inflated back when Obama was in office, where it was obviously outpacing the true betterment of the economy, yet it was being used as a metric to claim that the economy was doing much better.

Like I said, I don't think that this is anything other than a correction that will bring the market back to where it actually should be, as it has had a couple of years at least of what I feel was inaccurate gains in relation to the actual economy.

Quoted for accuracy.

While the idiots are running around trying to turn this into a Trump/Obama bash tool, the rest of us are actually listening to the market.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Everyone panicking and pulling out only makes it tank faster. The market goes up and down, but long term investors should just say in on downturns. It'll go back up.

If you're new to investing, check out these instructional audio tapes from financial expert Jim Norton.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Looks like a good time coming up to buy stocks!

Yes we buy low and let others sell low. Smart man.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Who's fault is it today? Trump? Obama? The Russians?

You forgot the guy who has been saying this for so long we ignored him lately, Alan Greenspan!!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Are we in a recession or something?

We were until Nov 2016. Things improved almost daily since then for employment.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

Buy low, and sell lower!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

me too and from your mouth to God's ears is ok too.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The market is dropping due to a lack of investment in it.

Yeah, that sounds like a "duh," but that really is the real reason. The stock market is just a wealth repository, like private businesses and bonds. It was rising because it is somewhat lucrative, easily accessed, and there was a lot of confidence in the economic future.

Now that wealth seems to be moving out. I wonder why? It's not going into bonds. As a whole, they're not changing a lot.

There are three main areas of wealth investment: bonds are the lowest yield and the safest, stocks are higher yield but a little more volatile, and business (not public; private, start-ups, and preparation for IPOs) have huge yield but very high risk. The confidence in the economy is what drives investment into which market. We were seeing a major investment in bonds before Trump, and that money moved into stocks to get a better yield. Now, some of it is being pulled out of the stock market and put into those high-risk, high-reward areas. That requires a massive amount of faith in the economy.

We're not looking at a recession... we're looking at a boon. Some of those investment businesses will become members of the NYSE soon enough. In the process, we're looking at new jobs, new opportunities, new technology, and new markets.

Money is more than looking at a number and deciding if it's high or low. It requires an understanding of economic flow to really be able to put a legitimate reason on the daily happenings, and even more familiarity to be able to take full advantage of those happenings.

This is a good sign. The market won't fall too far percentage-wise, and the rebound will set new records. That's how it works in a jump-starting economy. It will be a good time to buy if someone doesn't want more risk than the market offers.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Justoneman

Buy low, and sell lower!

Yea like the commercial that asks should i pay to get my money from and atm or not pay?

Should i let someone else make the profits by panic selling?

ETA

And all i need to know if it gets so bad like the Depression, we all are screwed anyway. That was a crap shoot on what would withstand the business of the day to be there tomorrow.
edit on 8-2-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join