It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey has announced that the Kurdish genocide is about to begin.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ever since the civil war in Syria started, Turkey has been increasingly unhappy that the Kurds have de-facto Independence. For months now, they've been building up troops along their border with the Kurdish areas, including in Rebel-held areas in northern Syria. Now there's this:

Turkey Notifies NATO Of Imminent Massive Invasion Of Syria To Fight Kurds

Turkey is poised for an imminent massive ground invasion of Northern Syria to quash Kurdish militia groups currently holding Afrin near the Turkish border. Multiple regional outlets have reported a build-up of forces that could constitute the largest external intervening force thus far in the entirety of the Syrian war.

According to Middle East based Al-Sura News, Turkey's military build-up currently underway includes special forces troops, Army units, Turkish-backed Syrian Rebels and Turkey's air force. The Kurdish YPG/J (People's Protection Units) has held Afrin since the Syrian government withdrew from the area in 2012, which constitutes the western-most part of the self-declared Rojava autonomous Kurdish zone.

Of course the US has bases scattered around the Kurdish region. Still, I wonder if we're going to suddenly see the Kurds suddenly seek reconciliation with the Syrian government, followed by Syrian troops rushing in to keep the Turkish forces out.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The Kurds are one tough nut to crack....Good Luck Turkey.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well as long as no one is sensationalizing headlines it should be fine.

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Just give Kurds their own country you greedy bastards! These middle easterners shed so much blood over the greed and religious zealotry of their leaders.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

The Kurds are one tough nut to crack....Good Luck Turkey.

My worry is the USA, France and UK will turn on the Kurds to placate there NATO buddy, turkey. Especially since Turkey been buddy up to Russia.

Geopoliticaly Turkeys is vastly more important than the kurds...... which leads be to believe the kurds are going to get screwed over.....big time.
edit on 16-1-2018 by Theprodicalson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Ummm...it makes me wonder who in the Trump administration sanctioned this...

That caliphate seeking fool running turkey couldn't have come up with this all on his own...

...Here's to the Kurds uniting and carving out their own country out of turkey's flank...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sucks for the kurds, when all there allies will just step back and let turkey kill them.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Sucks for the kurds, when all there allies will just step back and let turkey kill them.

Or worse...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Yep...the world falls over backward for the rohingyas, yet has ignored the Kurds for years...

Hypocrites.
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

edit on 16-1-2018 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2018 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I thought it was the kurds that help fight isis ?
Turkey must be stopped at all cost, its only going downhill in that country

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How does Syria feel about all of this?

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Wouldn't be the first genocide at the hands of the Turks...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Well this is going to turn into a crap storm. I fell bad for both sides, much unneeded deaths will happen.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Pretty sick of the Turkish government playing subversive terrorist.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Theprodicalson

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Or worse...

Christ, it's not even the first time we've betrayed them. Back in the 1980's the US government convinced the Kurds in Iraq to attempt secession, promising them that we'd support them against Saddam Hussein's regime. Of course we didn't, and Saddam ended up launching a nerve gas attack against the Kurds in vengeance.

Watch something similar happen again. There is no chance at all that US troops are going to fight Turkey. They'll run for the choppers the moment fighting gets close.

I blame Obama for this. The Syrian Civil War is an extension of the "Arab spring" which destabilized pretty much the entire Middle East & Northern Africa.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

It's way beyond Obama and Bush...it's the policy of the ME since ww1.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

It's way beyond Obama and Bush...it's the policy of the ME since ww1.

I was afraid Syria was going to be the next major conflict for the U.S.. Trump and others seem to have avoided that trap.

Now it's the Kurds. Opens a new door to another trap for the U.S..

This is where Trump needs to step in and convince the Turks to forget it. On this issue, at least, Putin also needs to support Trump on this. I believe the next little while will tell us both Trump's and Putin's real intentions are. If that relationship is to grow, this move needs to be sopped in it's tracks.
edit on 16-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Possibly. The kurds are an important ally we can't keep throwing under the bus and using them to wipe out our enemies. I actually agree with trump standing up for them as he has..

Erdogan keeps threatening the US. Big time after trump made the decision to move the Israeli embassy. I imagine he is putting in some safety nets.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

This is where Trump needs to step in and convince the Turks to forget it. On this issue, at least, Putin also needs to support Trump on this. I believe the next little while will tell us both Trump's and Putin's real intentions are. If that relationship is to grow, this move needs to be sopped in it's tracks.

The best solution might be if the US and Russia get the Kurds to reconcile with the Syrian government. Turkey doesn't want war with Syria; they want to make sure the Kurds don't get an independent state. The Kurds and the Syrian troops have mostly avoided fighting each other, aside from a few minor skirmishes.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Just give Kurds their own country you greedy bastards!
Which Kurds and which parts ? ...tough nut to crack as has been said .

edit on 16-1-2018 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join