It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Historical Reason Why Calling Haiti A %-Hole Really Is Incredibly Racist.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Uhhh the real reason is because of Islamic terrorism is not gonna stop mass murdering people.....They are using poor nations to get into.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)
The Haitian government is also very corrupt like Mexico’s government.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Calling a #hole a #hole isn't racist, it's fact. You're arguing that if there are excuses outside of the #hole's control explaining *why* they are, in fact, a #hole, then they should never be called a #hole. Obviously, I disagree with that entirely. SOmetimes it takes a baseball bat upside the head to get changes rolling. If #hole countries lose the ability of their citizens to simply flee to the USA when the going gets too rough, perhaps more of their citizens will stand and fight to make their country something better than a #hole.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What I want to know is the answer to Trump’s question. Why ARE we taking so many people from these crappy countries?

Ummm because people living in non crappy countries don't want to leave?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

You have no sense of history.

Italians, Irish and Jews in the early 20th century collected into harsh ghettoes, worst than anything we got today. They were looked at as if they were dogs by the elite WASPS.

It happens every era and it will happen in the future
no strike that, I doubt we have much of a future because of people like Trump

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: YouSir

You have no sense of history.

Italians, Irish and Jews in the early 20th century collected into harsh ghettoes, worst than anything we got today. They were looked at as if they were dogs by the elite WASPS.

It happens every era and it will happen in the future
no strike that, I doubt we have much of a future because of people like Trump

You and the Country will survive 3 or 7 more years.....look how bad everything is after the first year. Stock Markets in Collapse, record high unemployment.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

haiti is poor because of rampant corruption . history is just that history. corrupt official in their land and corrupt people in our country did this . but it is a cesspool that is why they pile up on boats and rafts and what ever they can find that floats to leave.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Calling another country a shthole is by far not even remotely racist. I can't believe how sensitive people can be when they think it might further their agenda. This is no better than all the women at the Oscars wearing short skirts with tops that only cover their nipples, for years, and now being upset because men come onto them.

How is Africa or Haiti, or El Salvador NOT a sht hole?
edit on 12-1-2018 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

(post by LSU0408 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I see a lot of people saying history is history, or Haiti is sh!thole and corrupt anyway. Well, history plays a large part as to why we Americans can prosper while crime and corruption still happen in the government. A lot of ignorant comments. You guys act like Haiti was destined to be poor and corrupt with or without foreign influence. That's where the racism comes in. A country is believed to be poor by the inherint nature of their people.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well, we know who's a racist now!

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

If only more people in this world were as intellectually honest and history savvy as you, we would live in a far better, more just place.

Paraphrasing Trump, Europe was a pretty sh*thole place to live, before the American continent was "discovered". Pre-XVIth century, Europe's history is filled with plagues, wars, poverty, famine and religiously induced ignorance and peasantry. This is historical fact.

Afterwards, Europe "progressed" by sacking American (as in the continent, not the country) natural wealth, work and gold, destroying the local culture and implanting religion as a mean to keep the colonies at bay.

This is specially true for Haiti.

And then Trump and his blind cult followers have the racist gall to call the plundered nations sh*itholes??

People need to read, cultivate and develop an own critical thinking.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The reality is that it is a hole, even the Haitians want to get out. Isn't it time we called , a spade a spade, and stopped the doublespeak?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioKnecht

I don't think anyone is denying (certainly not me) there are historical and contemporary reasons for those countries being #holes-- many of which are beyond their control. Or even that #holes have existed in European cultures and countries over history.
You lose me when describing a nation state's condition becomes racist for some reason.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ironically, ask a Brit....most of them will tell you that Scotland is a #hole.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

LSU0408

How many black/brown nations are better than white nations? Honest question. Africa? No. Middle East? No. Cuba? No. South America? No. Haiti? No. Jamaica? No.

How many people from white nations leave to settle in those countries?

ATS lately has been flooded with "alt-right" (that tender euphemism you neoracists and white nationalists" like to call yourselves now) goons and to be honest, I hardly recognize ATS anymore.

But this comment, for sure takes the gold. This comment is so blatantly racist, so blatantly ignorant and so blatantly full of covert white power ideology that it makes me want to vomit.

Latin America is filled with European immigrants. Mexico has over 25,000 italians living in it, over 75,000 spanish and over 250,000 AMERICANS. Argentina has over 75,000 italians. The same goes for Brazil, Costa Rica, you name it!

Shame on you.
edit on 12-1-2018 by RadioKnecht because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: RadioRobert

originally posted by: RadioRobert

Why would you go to the very place that is systemically impoverishing you, who inherently hates you on account of your racial component and chose to depend on them for wealth or survival?

Because they don’t perceive what we see clearly. Its too abstract to them...

Wow. I think I'm seeing the real racism now...

Go ahead explain to us why my statement is racist?

Do you even understand the statement in context?

Ever hear of the Expression "bigotry of low expectation"?

That’s a bit abstract in itself

Saying one does not clearly see ones perspective is not necessarily a pejorative judgment.

Often the very tangible reality of poverty precludes people from seeing things more fully.

That’s a very human trait.

Of course not knowing my own heritage leaves the question open

That's pretty condescending. You should think about this more.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioKnecht

he did not misspeak but immigration is not the solution . but here is my idea stop giving foriegn aid to coutries like pakistan and india and instead channel that aid into making thing better in impoverished nations. do not give aid to goverments but to people

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I'm spinning this off from the thread about Trump's diatribe against Haiti and Africa because I think the historical perspective on why it really is an incredibly racist statement is long enough and complex enough and interesting enough to stand alone. I think also because it's historical, it doesn't belong in the mud-pit.

I'm seeing a lot of people defending Trump by saying what he said was not racist. But I think a lot of people don't understand the very important historical context on this one.

The first thing we have to talk about is the trans-atlantic slave trade. And the way the European and American empires built their wealth. How the wealth of the West was built on stealing other peoples stuff. This is simple historical fact.

For example. The French colony that became Haiti provided much of the wealth that fuelled the French Empire. 2/3rds of the sugar and 3/4rs of the coffee that Europe consumed came from Haiti. This was produced by slaves working the farms. So it was unbelievably profitable for the whites.

The modern country of Haiti was founded on a revolution against this system. The slaves, the poor, they said enough is enough. We are not working to make white foreign slave holders rich.

The European countries and the USA refused to recognise Haiti as a country when they declared their independence. For their temerity in daring to break free from the shackles of slavery. Europe and the USA refused to trade with them for decades.

Haiti eventually got recognition by agreeing to pay a gigantic bribe to the international world. 150 million gold francs to French landowners to 'compensate' them for the loss of their farms and slaves. Haiti paid it, but it took them almost all of the 19th century to do so.

Haiti was forced to borrow large sums of money at ruinous interest rates from American and European bankers to pay this bribe to gain their freedom. In 1914 those very banks got President Wilson of the USA to send US Marines to Haiti to empty/steal the Haitian gold reserve.

There then followed a 19 year US military occupation of Haiti. This resulted in chaos.

The 20th Century did not go much better for them. They suffered systematic theft and oppression from American and European powers. The US invaded again in 94-95, 2004. Because they did not like the governments the Haitians tried to install. They used the IMF and World Bank to impose new loans and destructive trade policies, including the infamous rice tariff that Clinton apologised for but no US president did anything to overturn.

This is why Haiti is a poor ****-hole. They are poor because rich white westerners made them poor, kept them poor, and smashed them back into the stone age every time they tried to get their heads above water.

But Trump and his supporters are assuming Haiti is just naturally poor, maybe because they think black people are lazy, or just not good at building wealth, that's why they come to America isn't it? That's why Trump held up Norway as an example of a good country, they are white, look, they can build wealth. Whites are better than Blacks. That is the message here.

But the fact is Haiti is poor because we made them poor. Poor because we kept them poor.

And this is why Trump's statements yesterday are racist. Even if you personally didn't think they were. You probably didn't consider this greater historical context.

This is virtue signaling and it's gross. The people that truly care go over to help, the people that couldn't give two #s and only care because a dude they hate is president sit behind a keyboard and stroke keys.
If a country is a sh!t hole, it's a sh!t hole. There's a reason Mexicans come to the states, because most of Mexico is a sh!t hole.
American Ghettos are sh!t holes, that created an industry of blacks rapping about violence, rape, cooking dope, and shooting at each other.

Give it a name, it is what it is.
edit on fFridayAmerica/Chicago2503699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
No offense OP, but you really didn't support the claim as to why what DT2020 said was racist. The only thing you did was list of bunch of things YOU think had to do with racism, which they didn't.

Slaves weren't slaved BECAUSE they were black. They were slaves because they were sold into bondage and couldn't defend themselves against it.

Again, I challenge ANYONE to list ONE SINGLE THING DT2020 has said that is actually racist.

racism

n.
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
n.
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join