It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Historical Reason Why Calling Haiti A %-Hole Really Is Incredibly Racist.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
"#hole countries" in itself is not racists. And ironically, assuming that it is racists IS RACISTS!!

And that is the left for you, so damn dumb they don't get it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Great idea to educate the stupid with context, theoretically.

And there is more:

...By 1803, France had lost tens of thousands of soldiers and was dangerously low on cash. So Napoleon offered Jefferson, then president, the deal of a lifetime: France would sell all of French Louisiana to the U.S. for just $15 million. This, as you recall from fifth-grade history, was the Louisiana Purchase.

Just a glance at a map shows why this made America the country it is now. It’s not simply that the U.S. acquired 828,000 square miles, which instantly doubled the size of the country (and still represents one-quarter of the U.S. land mass). Just as significantly, our new territory ran from Canada down to New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico, opening the way for our further expansion westward to the Pacific Ocean.

So no Haitian rebellion, no Louisiana Purchase; no Louisiana Purchase, and the U.S. would have been cooped up east of the Mississippi River, perhaps forever.

But don’t take my word for it. Here’s what Alexander Hamilton wrote just after the deal was concluded:

To the deadly climate of St. Domingo, and to the courage and obstinate resistance made by its black inhabitants are we indebted.

The Intercept

That #hole with deadly climate and the Louisiana Purchase. Wow, 828K square miles... freedom fries for everyone!

edit on 13-1-2018 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Your link won't work for me. Not to belittle the Haitian component, but I think the neverending saga between France and England, naval blockade of the holdings in the Americas, Napoleon's invasion plans for England, the US threatening alliance with the UK, the subsequent vulnerability of New Orleans, the fact Spain was still administering Louisiana despite the treaty handing it to France, and the French debtload (including to America) were probably much bigger factors to the Purchase than the Haitian rebellion.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

There's a #hole in the headline (lol), ATS seems to censor the link. Go to the mainpage and scroll a tad down.

"Donald Trump’s Vile Words Should Remind Us That America Owes Everything to Haitians" (Jon Schwarz - Jan 12)

theintercept.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
I wonder how Americans and Trump supporters would feel if a leader from another country would call their country a S**t hole. I could just imagine the backlash from Americans!

Let's face it, we have enough tensions and divisiveness in this world than to have a leader of the U.S. or any other foreign country to call another country a s***t hole.

I think this cover on New York's Daily News pretty much summed up Trump's shoot from the hip comment. Think before you speak!

In our case we can laugh in their faces very loudly and maybe have tears from laughing so hard as it is NOT true at all!

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
So called christians of the republican party, supporters of the Trump mentality, and how they treat the poor is noted by the universe.

They'll come a time they'll be called to question

1 John 3:17 But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him--how can God's love be within him

John 3:18 Little children, let us stop just saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.

1 Sam. 2:8 He lifts the poor from the dust-- Yes, from a pile of ashes-- And treats them as princes sitting in the seats of honor. For all the earth is the Lord's And he has set the world in order.
Prov. 19:17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord--and he pays wonderful interest on your loan!

The bible shows us that no one knows the scriptures as well as the deceiver.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: craterman
"#hole countries" in itself is not racists. And ironically, assuming that it is racists IS RACISTS!!

And that is the left for you, so damn dumb they don't get it.

Polite reminder that this is not the mudpit, so kindly take your insults elsewhere. Thank you.

This is about the historical reasons why a world leader calling a country like Haiti a *hole is racist. Your facile statement that '#hole countries' is not itself racist can be true in some contexts. If you and I were down the pub and called a country a #hole, it wouldn't necessarily be a racist thing to say. It is different when it is the leader of a nation saying it. And that is why I wrote this post to describe the historical context that turns the potentially non-racist statement of '#hole country' into a genuinely racist statement, by virtue of the context.

Context is everything.

Please read my original post and think about that.

And you can't be racist against racists. I know poor ickle racists like to cry into their porridge about how unfair it is that people hate them so much, but that's not racism.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Unsurprisingly, the writer hacked up Hamilton's quote turning a one-liner about Haiti into the object of the next paragraph which he omits completely to push that narrative.
Which, again, isn't to say the Haitian-St.Domingo revolt had no effect on setting up the circumstances that followed, only that issues far heavier were in play to the cessation of Lousiana .

Compare:

To the deadly climate of St. Domingo, and to the courage and obstinate resistance made by its black inhabitants are we indebted. …

Bonaparte found himself absolutely compelled by situation, to relinquish his darling plan of colonising the banks of the Mississippi: and thus have the Government of the United States, by the unforseen operation of events, gained. … Let us then, with all due humility, acknowledge this as another of those signal instances of the kind interpositions of an over-ruling Providence …

To real context:

To the deadly climate of St. Domingo, and to the courage and obstinate resistance made by its black inhabitants are we indebted for the obstacles which delayed the colonization of Louisiana, till the auspicious moment, when a rupture between England and France gave a new turn to the projects of the latter, and destroyed at once all her schemes as to this favourite object of her ambition.

It was made known to Bonaparte, that among the first objects of England would be the seizure of New-Orleans, and that preparations were even then in a state of forwardness for that purpose. The First Consul could not doubt, that if an English fleet was sent thither, the place must fall without resistance; it was obvious, therefore, that it would be in every shape preferable that it should be placed in the possession of a neutral power; and when, besides, some millions of money, of which he was extremely in want, were offered him, to part with what he could no longer hold it affords a moral certainty, that it was to an accidental state of circumstances, and not to wise plans, that this cession, at this time, has been owing. We shall venture to add, that neither of the ministers through whose instrumentality it was effected, will ever deny this, or even pretend that previous to the time when a rupture was believed to be inevitable, there was the smallest chance of inducing the First Consul, with his ambitious and aggrandizing views, to commute the territory for any sum of money in their power to offer. The real truth is, Bonaparte found himself absolutely compelled by situation, to relinquish his darling plan of colonising the banks of the Mississippi: and thus have the Government of the United States, by the unforseen operation of events, gained what the feebleness and pusillanimity of its miserable system of measures could never have acquired. Let us then, with all due humility, acknowledge this as another of those signal instances of the kind interpositions of an over-ruling Providence, which we more especially experienced during our revolutionary war, & by which we have more than once, been saved from the consequences of our errors and perverseness.

I think I can rest comfortably on my stance:

I think the neverending saga between France and England, naval blockade of the holdings in the Americas, Napoleon's invasion plans for England, the US threatening alliance with the UK, the subsequent vulnerability of New Orleans, the fact Spain was still administering Louisiana despite the treaty handing it to France, and the French debtload (including to America) were probably much bigger factors to the Purchase than the Haitian rebellion.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

A lot of ignorant comments. You guys act like Haiti was destined to be poor and corrupt with or without foreign influence. That's where the racism comes in. A country is believed to be poor by the inherint nature of their people.

That is the narrative of the Dem's actually when you use "destined to be poor".

To treat them collectively as pawns is what Progressive/Dems do.

These people need to go after the money Clinton's stole for one. So I see it as ignorance that is doubled down on a roulette type table where you guys are almost guaranteed to not be happy with the results. Wake up is what the left is yet to do....................
edit on 13-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Ironically, ask a Brit....most of them will tell you that Scotland is a #hole.

Yeah, we just hate having our free prescriptions and free further education and higher standards of education and shorter waiting lists and oh, did I mention that I can call my GP surgery and get an appointment same or next day? We have more personal freedoms. Better access to contraception. Higher standards of living. Less racism. Greater tolerance of homosexuality. Less of a gender cap in pay. Some of the most spectacular countryside in the world.

And we invented a square sausage that fits perfectly on a roll.

Yeah, it's a #hole up here. Y'all English had better stay down south.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

As a decendent of the Welsh I think they were in the same boat as Scotland with England before they were defeated.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Still a s#hole though. Right?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

The problem is this insult effects relationships with other countries. The United States and it's allies need other countries to trust them. If we have a president who says that about other 3rd world countries, do you think they'll look favorably toward the U.S. when we need them to cooperate to fight terrorism or other world issues?

Trump and anyone else who becomes president can easily create enemies for the United States if they offend them with insults. Trump has the responsibility to choose his words wisely and act professionally when he's speaking in public and addressing other countries on the world stage.

The entire world is condemning his insult. Just like he's done in the past, he's not taking responsibility for his actions! Anyone in his position would have apologized for their insult by now. Yet now he's denying he even said it! Just like when he denied what he said about women on the bus, and Billy Bush called him out on it! How can anyone justify the way Trump denies what comes out of his mouth, when he's been caught on video several times saying outrageous remarks, or had people around him witness him saying it?

How many times is his base going to give this president a free pass? There's something morally wrong in America when we can continue to ignore this president's poor character and incompetency. He's been given a double standard which is not only dangerous for our country but it will ultimately set a dangerous precedent for future presidents.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Willtell

The way the Europeans left many of those countries after colonialism is the reason for their backwardness.

The darker the race, were left the worst

Racism, past and present is still a pernicious poison.

Spain and Portugal imposed hardships on their colonies and yet never grew rich, while other European countries that never had colonies grew affluent.

There are parts of the world that have been completely untouched by Western civilization that face the direst misery.

Do you believe, for instance, that colonialism is responsible for the continued AIDS epidemic in African countries, or the recent Ebola outbreak?

Uh, I'm sorry, that's just completely historically wrong. Spain and Portugal did grow rich. Did you miss how much South American gold the Spanish empire extracted from the continent?

From 1500 to 1650 Spain is said to have brought 180 tons of gold, and a staggering 16 000 tons of silver. This was triple the current European silver reserves at the time.

So yes, Spain grew fabulously wealthy off their Empire. Of course they chucked most of it away on an Armada that was supposed to invade England but wound up at the bottom of the sea. But hey.

And Portugal was the worlds main economic power during the Renaissance. They were leaders during the age of discovery. They extracted huge wealth from their main colony of Brazil. They were one of the biggest Empire holders, and a major world leader in social and cultural power.

As for Ebola and AIDs, I put it to you this way. If Africa had been able to keep their own wealth instead of the colonial powers extracting that wealth, then there would have been a lot more wealth for them to have built more infrastructure. More hospitals. More schools. More universities. So yeah, it's entirely possible if not for the age of European Empires, then there might well have been less disease in Africa.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Still a s#hole though. Right?

The weather is pretty bloody awful for most of the year, aye.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

Yeah, it's a #hole up here. Y'all English had better stay down south.

Hear hear!!

I see you Scot's still have a bit of bite to ya'.
edit on 13-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This has absolutely nothing to do with race. I absolutely laugh my a$$ off every time I read dribble like this.

I honestly think that Haiti is a crap hole. I blame the local government. As you have stated, there are agriculture products that they sell, and it's up to the local/country government to create the conditions where companies and employers start hiring the residents and get them working and then paid. With that money, they can get a better life started.

So, Haiti, what do you plan to do to NOT BE A CRAP HOLE!!??? The Clinton Foundation has made plenty of money off of them, with very little to show for it. Throw more money at it!! Umm, yeah that will get siphoned off just like all the other money that has flowed into there.

The problem with liberals is that they love to call people names. It makes them feel superior. Reality check. It makes you look DUMB. Crap hole has no race to it, I don't care if they are smurfs, that place needs a reboot, and it needs to be the local government that makes the changes.

Fred..

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It isn't racist. It's a fact. I judge things by reality, not social constructs and feelings. So does Trump. Deal with it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If Haiti was a heaven on earth. An almost perfect place to live and raise your kids in, then it would be racist to call it a hole based on the ethnic makeup.

It is however a hell hole of a place. Calling it that does not make someone a racist, despite how broad a brush the term paints now.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: RadioRobert

There's a #hole in the headline (lol), ATS seems to censor the link. Go to the mainpage and scroll a tad down.

"Donald Trump’s Vile Words Should Remind Us That America Owes Everything to Haitians" (Jon Schwarz - Jan 12)

theintercept.com...

Ok. We owe everything to Hatians...ancestors.

Still a s# hole.

We should probably be friendlier toward them. I dont know why the Clintons hate them so much, but that rice tax should definitely be reversed and their children returned to them post haste.

There are many Actual things that should be acknowledged and fixed...why? Because it is a s# hole. Calling a s# hole a s# hole especially during a private meeting is not what needs to be so desperately fixed. The world, including Haiti, would not be a magically better place if Trump had used a different term or phrase...

Its like people are complaining, "No! Dont bring this s# hole to my attention! Then we might have to actually Do something about it! Do like the leftys and call it something happier like "a proud nation with a rich cultural heritage" so i can have nice dreams about it at night! Dont ruin that with your stupid reality! I was doing just fine and I was planning a trip to IKEA and maybe Bed Bath & Beyond if there was enough time, but now I am gonna be thinking about these poor people and their s# hole all day, my whole shopping trip is RUINED, I may as well not even go now!!!! God Donald Trump is Such an A#hole!!

In typical leftist fashion.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join