It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Historical Reason Why Calling Haiti A %-Hole Really Is Incredibly Racist.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Your logic or lack there of literally hurts my brain.

You cant turn something that was never racist into being racist by creating some elaborate story about a countries history. Ridiculous...lol.

So your in Venezuela and your like "damn this place stinks"; because it literally does. Hopefully your not with this guy because he might dive deep into the history of the country and find a way to turn that very normal comment into racism. HAHAHAHAH

I honestly wish people like you did not exist.
edit on 12-1-2018 by waggz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

So it is not a #-hole?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I wonder how Americans and Trump supporters would feel if a leader from another country would call their country a S**t hole. I could just imagine the backlash from Americans!

Let's face it, we have enough tensions and divisiveness in this world than to have a leader of the U.S. or any other foreign country to call another country a s***t hole.

I think this cover on New York's Daily News pretty much summed up Trump's shoot from the hip comment. Think before you speak!

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: waggz

Your logic or lack there of literally hurts my brain.

You cant turn something that was never racist into being racist by creating some elaborate story about a countries history. Ridiculous...lol.

So your in Venezuela and your like "damn this place stinks"; because it literally does. Hopefully your not with this guy because he might dive deep into the history of the country and find a way to turn that very normal comment into racism. HAHAHAHAH

I honestly wish people like you did not exist.

As you're telling me that you wish people like me did not exist, I remind you that this is not the mud pit. This is the history forum. So with politeness, I ask you to leave this thread. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
I wonder how Americans and Trump supporters would feel if a leader from another country would call their country a S**t hole. I could just imagine the backlash from Americans!

Let's face it, we have enough tensions and divisiveness in this world than to have a leader of the U.S. or any other foreign country to call another country a s***t hole.

I think this cover on New York's Daily News pretty much summed up Trump's shoot from the hip comment. Think before you speak!

Other countries leaders do say that.

Ruissia, North korea, many EU countries when criticizing things like prison population, health care, how americans vote, etc.

So what if americans dont like it.

I dont ever recall anyone accusing those leaders criticizing america of being racist, do you?

If another countries leader would question why so many americans were immigrating to their country because america is a hole, I would say screw them, but also say hey, they have every right as to who to let into their country, and I would not think they were racsit at aall for the statement.

edit on 12-1-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
God I hate the country I live in.

It's a # hole.

For 9 GD years a certain crowd thinks running around calling their political opponents 'racist'

Is a legitimate form of debate.

It isn't.

edit on 12-1-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
Here's a story. My Cousin goes to Haiti with his Church pretty much every year to help this one community. For at least the 10 years I've know he's done this even he says they haven't accomplished much. Most of the time when they come back, they spend their efforts just repairing/rebuilding the things for the prior year that have either been not taken care of or plundered by people.

It's like they wait for them to come back and help, he's told me. The 11 months between visits, nothing gets repaired improved ect. They used to send money in the time they weren't there for projects, but when they got there that money was gone and the work wasn't done.

If that's isn't a hole, I don't know what to say. They try to help and over ten years haven't seen much in the way of improvements.

Cool story bro. Sorry your cousin had that experience.

Here's another story. Friends of mine go to Haiti quite often as part of their church work. Twice a year. The Haitians they meet are all kind and generous and hard working and eager to get their country back up on their feet, and they really appreciate the help.

So which of these two situations fairly reflects Haiti as a whole? Answer - both and neither.

In any country there are lazy people and there are hard working people.

But the problem is your cousin has met some lazy people and you and your cousin and Trump and the people defending Trump, have declared that therefore all Haitians are lazy and this is why they are poor.

This huge over-generalization of 'I met some Haitians therefore all are like this' is one of the core logical errors at the root of racism.

I am sure your cousin is not a racist. I'm sure you're not a racist. But people who aren't racist can and do sometimes think in ways that are racist. Because we're all a little bit racist sometimes.

But the important point is to recognise that just because your cousin has had negative experiences, there are lots of people who have had positive experiences.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Ruissia, North korea, many EU countries when criticizing things like prison population, health care, how americans vote, etc.

So what if americans dont like it.

I dont ever recall anyone accusing those leaders criticizing america of being racist, do you?

If another countries leader would question why so many americans were immigrating to their country because america is a hole, I would say screw them, but also say hey, they have every right as to who to let into their country, and I would not think they were racsit at aall for the statement.

Please find me a quote of world leaders calling America a *-hole or something similar please?

I cannot think of anything outside people who were at war with America.

But I await with interest your list of quotes of foreign leaders calling America a *-hole.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Racism is all opinion anyway and frankly the charges of it are getting really boring. What I want to know is the answer to Trump’s question. Why ARE we taking so many people from these crappy countries?

The man hit the nail on the head. Let’s stop talking about semantics and answer the question. I want to know.

Didn’t you see the leaked e-mail? Dems are counting on these folks (immigrants from underdeveloped nations) to keep them in office and increase their pieces of Congress. If the US only allowed highly educated productive folks to immigrate, the Dems would never win another election in this country.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

They may not have used the same term but the have criticized the country saying its bad in many ways.

The point is their criticisms does not mean they are racist.

Nether would it mean that if they used the term s***hole.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Clintons really phucked over Haiti bad. REAL BAD. Do a Clinton Haiti search and prepare to be shocked.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: pavil
Here's a story. My Cousin goes to Haiti with his Church pretty much every year to help this one community. For at least the 10 years I've know he's done this even he says they haven't accomplished much. Most of the time when they come back, they spend their efforts just repairing/rebuilding the things for the prior year that have either been not taken care of or plundered by people.

It's like they wait for them to come back and help, he's told me. The 11 months between visits, nothing gets repaired improved ect. They used to send money in the time they weren't there for projects, but when they got there that money was gone and the work wasn't done.

If that's isn't a hole, I don't know what to say. They try to help and over ten years haven't seen much in the way of improvements.

Cool story bro. Sorry your cousin had that experience.

Here's another story. Friends of mine go to Haiti quite often as part of their church work. Twice a year. The Haitians they meet are all kind and generous and hard working and eager to get their country back up on their feet, and they really appreciate the help.

So which of these two situations fairly reflects Haiti as a whole? Answer - both and neither.

In any country there are lazy people and there are hard working people.

But the problem is your cousin has met some lazy people and you and your cousin and Trump and the people defending Trump, have declared that therefore all Haitians are lazy and this is why they are poor.

This huge over-generalization of 'I met some Haitians therefore all are like this' is one of the core logical errors at the root of racism.

I am sure your cousin is not a racist. I'm sure you're not a racist. But people who aren't racist can and do sometimes think in ways that are racist. Because we're all a little bit racist sometimes.

But the important point is to recognise that just because your cousin has had negative experiences, there are lots of people who have had positive experiences.

You’re really missing the point. The Haitian people are fine...the country of Haiti is an unadulterated disaster. Sometimes the simplist explanation is just that. Doesn’t matter how they got there, the fact is that currently the “country” of Haiti is exactly how it was described.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Haiti is not a safe place for its own citizens, let alone foreigners. Lately, Haitian news media have been reporting an average of 40 murders everyday throughout the small nation of 10 million, a high number never registered before even during serious political disturbances and the worse economic recessions. In the metropolitan area of Port-au-Prince, the nation’s capital city, at least one police officer is killed every single day on average, a crime phenomenon never seen before in a country where police officers are respected, if not feared. Often, to commit their crimes, the murderers ride a motorcycle that helps them maneuver around high volume of traffic, to extract themselves quickly from the crime scene. Members of the Haitian diaspora visiting their homeland are often assaulted, kidnapped or killed increasingly these days, oftentimes during their transportation from the national airport to their short term housing accommodation, a hotel or a private home. And it has become common place for such visitors to be stalked later for an attack in which they may lose more than the money and other valuables they happen to carry. Local recipients of remittances from Haitians working abroad, are very often assaulted or killed as soon as they collect their funds from financial or money transfers institutions. Even a visit to one’s local bank, for routine transactions, carries now a significant probability of becoming an end of life event. How about the frequent kidnappings of business entrepreneurs, their children or other family members?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I would imagine he brought the US into it because, according to your own source, They did everything claimed: Occupation, extortion, robbery, pro US constitution, government overthrow, screwing the people over, etc......

He pretty much hit the nail on the head.

For the record, I still don't see how it's racist in anyway.... That's like stating that someone lives in a beautiful home is a white supremacist statement, and a further perpetuation of the white male patriarchy.

It just doesn't add up.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Great thread. I knew that there was an undercurrent of exploitation of Haiti's resources. I didn't know that it was, in fact, not an undercurrent but rather a system of exploitation of it's wealth. All this being said, I don't think Trump's statement was racist but rather elitist...and coming from someone who has very little knowledge about what he speaks, as well as no filter on what he says.

I do agree that it is important to make the distinction between racism and elitism, especially in this case. While Haiti may have a history of being exploited from racist governments/officials and such in the past, I don't believe that Trump meant his comment in a racist way, but rather in his typical elitist, ignorant way of making comments.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Nothing like side stepping the issue and ignoring the basic Sh*t hole comment. Criticizing government programs doesn't even compare to calling a country and it's people a sh*t hole. It's an insult, simple as that!

My family are a product of Italian immigrants. In fact many of us have immigrant backgrounds. Organized crime slipped in with that huge immigration. So did the Irish, Asian and Russian organized crime syndicates. We also have street gangs made up of white, African Americans and Hispanics. All of this was home grown or the criminal element slipped through due to poor immigration background checks. It's just plain ignorant to paint all immigrants with a broad brush! Many of these immigrants bring with them their hard work ethic, technical skills, a desire to be educated and a culture that has helped make America's economy strong and our population diverse. We've all enjoyed their music, food, and cultural traditions. So how can you condone Trump labeling an entire country and it's people a sh*t hole??

I present these comments to you from countries that say it like it is. No word twisting, excuses, just expressing basic outrage at the ignorance of Trump's words and reminding us of the strong history of America and immigration.

KENYA
"How America elected a narcissist, racist, white supremacist to be their president defies logic. Africa sends love and light to America. ##holeTrump," he said.

SOUTH AFRICA
The Daily Maverick, a South African media outlet, wrote: "Casual Friday at the White House is soon to include hoods and tiki torches at this rate."

BOTSWANA
"Highly irresponsible, reprehensible and racist," the country's foreign ministry said. "The Government of Botswana is wondering why President Trump must use this descriptor and derogatory word, when talking about countries with whom the U.S. has had cordial and mutually beneficial bilateral relations for so many years."

MEXICO
Vincente Fox, Mexico's former president…

"Your mouth is the foulest # hole in the world. With what authority do you proclaim who’s welcome in America and who’s not. America’s greatness is built on diversity, or have you forgotten your immigrant background, Donald?" he said.

UNITED NATIONS
"You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘# holes,’ whose entire populations, who are not white, are therefore not welcome," he said in Geneva.

HAITI
"SHAME ON TRUMP!," said former president Laurent Lamothe on Twitter. "The world is witnessing a new low today with this ## hole Nations remark! totally unacceptable! uncalled for moreover it shows a lack a respect and IGNORANCE never seen before in the recent history of the US by any President! Enough is enough!!

Country Comments USA TODAY

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Good luck trying to tell the truth here. They are inimical to facts and truth

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So called christians of the republican party, supporters of the Trump mentality, and how they treat the poor is noted by the universe.

They'll come a time they'll be called to question

1 John 3:17 But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him--how can God's love be within him

John 3:18 Little children, let us stop just saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.

1 Sam. 2:8 He lifts the poor from the dust-- Yes, from a pile of ashes-- And treats them as princes sitting in the seats of honor. For all the earth is the Lord's And he has set the world in order.
Prov. 19:17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord--and he pays wonderful interest on your loan!

edit on 12-1-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Given how evil and racist the United States apparently is, it is startling that the amount of people from diverse races who are willing to risk everything to move here legally or illegally exist in the first place.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Given how evil and racist the United States apparently is, it is startling that the amount of people from diverse races who are willing to risk everything to move here legally or illegally exist in the first place.

They come here form poor third world countries and some richer third world countries pursuing wealth and some come here for survival.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join