It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Words Become Violence

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sometimes it appears that you don't really understand the power of words or verbal and written communication. LOL

Hitler didn't rise to power with force, it was words.
Trump wasn't elected president with magic, it was words.
Everyday people kill themselves because of the effects of words.
We get inspired to create and succed with ...you guessed it words.
Wars have been fought over words.
People have killed because they were told to with, words.
We get hired because of our words.
Lawyers try cases using only...words.
I made this post with...words.
Religion is based on words.

And yet you create this thread with words. Interesting.
edit on 10-11-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Sometimes it appears that you don't really understand the power of words or verbal and written communication. LOL

All you can do is put the responsibility on the speakers, while taking it away from those who actually performed the action. It's not only the perpetuation of a myth, and uninteresting, it's dehumanizing.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Stress is a bodily response to threat or challenge. It's not an effect of anything but the body.

Yup. And the cause of said stress is from the mind. In the same way over studying can cause your hair to turn gray, from stress. In the same way your body can get damaged from stress, and stress is regulated via brain via mind.
Mind->Brain->Body

I was wondering the other day why philosophy and metaphysics are the same forum, just convenient.

But you can't explain the mind-spirit-body connection (metaphysical concept) to a supposed philosopher. It's just too far out of their ordinary thought.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

All you can do is put the responsibility on the speakers, while taking it away from those who actually performed the action. It's not only the perpetuation of a myth, and uninteresting, it's dehumanizing.

I'm still not sure what your saying here. It appears that you say that words have no bearing on anything, when most of our lives are based on words. You responed to my post because of my words. I made you do that. with words. It's called a conversation.

Words effect us. Sure we make the choices on how to react to those words, but every day we react to a multitude of words. We can manipulate people with words and order people that we have influece over, to commit actions based on words.

Verbal abuse can cause everything from a bad mood to suicide and murder until we learn to react properly to those words and learn to cope effectively.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Yeah. We need to dismantle the legal system. Words have zero effect on people. It's the victims' fault. Reminds me of that girl who encourage her boyfriend to commit suicide. She wasn't responsible at all.

Was it her or her boyfriend who killed the boyfriend?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I'm still not sure what your saying here. It appears that you say that words have no bearing on anything, when most of our lives are based on words. You responed to my post because of my words. I made you do that. with words.

You never made me do anything. Reading and responding was my choice, not yours or your words.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah. We need to dismantle the legal system. Words have zero effect on people. It's the victims' fault. Reminds me of that girl who encourage her boyfriend to commit suicide. She wasn't responsible at all.

You'd make a great defense lawyer for her.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I'm still not sure what your saying here. It appears that you say that words have no bearing on anything, when most of our lives are based on words. You responed to my post because of my words. I made you do that. with words.

You never made me do anything. Reading and responding was my choice, not yours or your words.

I disagree. I manipulated you into responding to me. I did that. for a brief period today, I controlled you with my words. LOL

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

You'd make a great defense lawyer for her.

Yes I would.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think I see what your saying. No one should ever be held accountable for anything they say, because everyone has a choice in how they respond or not respond.

Except what if that person is mentally impaired, doesn't know your feeding them false information or doesn't realize you are controlling them with psychological mind tricks?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

He's right and as volcano magma is spouting, it's really up to you if you gonna stand and let it seep over or actually take it like a woman

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I think I see what your saying. No one should ever be held accountable for anything they say, because everyone has a choice in how they respond or not respond.

Except what if that person is mentally impaired, doesn't know your feeding them false information or doesn't realize you are controlling them with psychological mind tricks?

I'm saying that we have power over the words and our thoughts, not the other way around. It's not as sinister as you guys make it out to be.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yeah that's his point. The question is how much of an effect do words have directly on people from us. For example spoken words have effect on eardrums, nerves and skin. That is the actual direct effect. And the nerves carry that signal, affecting the mind and body. That is the cause and effect. Also if you scream in someone's ear, do it not hurt the person? That's a physical pain. And so on.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
You can control your actions but you couldn't control how someone said something.

And saying something is enough to always change at least to comprehend

Which is enough to say that the words did affect them.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
So just by comprehending which most do unvoluntarily, it effects the person to comprehend.
Comprehending drastically changes the brain. That's what comprehending does.

So maybe you'll see that we live in a world where everything is connected. Her walking there effects him to look here and him looking hear causes them to snap their fingers over there.

We're all thrown into this world as vulnerable babies, and we aren't much different as adults.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Sure you can say the moment you comprehend, you are controlling your own thoughts and aware of yourself to not be swayed by any other way than you desire.

Well they still made you be fixated on that during those moments where if they weren't you wouldnt have been. So they affected you to maintain your thought control at that moment - oh you always are maintaining thought control and that was just the same as you were before they said anything

Well that doesn't work as children need to listen to instructions from their teacher.

You can block out people's words assuming no serious things will come like Jess mentioning there's a fire
Cause if you don't react in some way to that and remain exactly the same you likely wouldn't have the desire to leave the building, cause I think it's the worry that would propel one to leave and concern.

So assuming nothing like that then you could likely maintain control. It's kind of like a hardcore bhuddist thing that I think really only applies to you, as most get a lot of joy from being open to what others say, and allowing it to affect them is all a part of experiencing what life is. "Hey Jordan, I like your shoes" "Thanks Miss B." "You're welcome, but I wish you brought 2 apples today one for you one for Jimmy" *jordan sad now that he realizes he forgot* "You are right MIss B, I'll remember tomorrow."

Now being the OP it would be like "BLOCK OUT TEACHER--)_@-_#* LOGICALLY DOES NOT CARE. NO FEELINGS TO COMPREHEND. NO REASON TO APPLY APPLE BRINGING AS NO EMPATHY WAS THERE. *LEAVES MISS B*
edit on 10-11-2017 by makalit because: (no reason given)

You can say that then "I would choose to be receptive to feeling care and concern for Jimmy in that exact moment"
But then it was the teacher who still instilled that scenario still
So she effected it
You can't escape that things effect everything else
A little cushion being pressed to your behind will cause you to feel a certain way

Hey, if you are so right, then just block out feeling disagreement with people taking the statues down!
If you are so in control, why can't you do that?
Obviously nothing is beyond your own controlling of how you feel
So feel good about it, logically you should desire to
edit on 10-11-2017 by makalit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I'm saying that we have power over the words and our thoughts, not the other way around. It's not as sinister as you guys make it out to be.

I agree to a point. It's like listening to Fox News every day. At some point you will become brainwashed and unable to distinquish propaganda from Truth. There are also many who are in crisis, mental instability etc, those people are effected far more than a normal person by words. Children and those under 18 I would put in that group also, still developing mentally, emotionally and hormonally. Words(verbal abuse or bullying( can have a negative impact that most of us would not be bothered by.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: makalit

It doesn't work like that. No one can make you do anything. We may not be able to control ourselves as much as we'd wish, but it is still our own biology, ourselves and no one else, that decides to act. You may not be able to control your heart rate, but it is still your body, your heart, yourself that sets the pace.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The OP is saying that you can control your feelings. If you see people suffering in a crisis from a hurricane and starving, you then control the empathy to let out, and thus let the images affect you.
However if someone says "you little dirt wad" You stall for a few seconds and decide how you want to feel.
This decision process is not based on feeling but a logical-robot process.

"Search dictionary--> Dirt = Insultive
Cont----> Wad---> Collection of Paper
Sum=-=-= Collection of dirt ERRRR NO COMPREHENDING"

Most people have little bits of feeling that would decide if they want to continuing blocking out info or not.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I agree to a point. It's like listening to Fox News every day. At some point you will become brainwashed and unable to distinquish propaganda from Truth. There are also many who are in crisis, mental instability etc, those people are effected far more than a normal person by words. Children and those under 18 I would put in that group also, still developing mentally, emotionally and hormonally. Words(verbal abuse or bullying( can have a negative impact that most of us would not be bothered by.

The words do not become more or less effective as we grow older. They are still the same words, unchanged. It is us that changes.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join