It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant, Mysterious Hole Has Opened Up in Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Antarctica is a wild and strange place. It is remote, cold, there are unexplored regions under miles of ice, penguins, research stations, and rumors galore!

ATS, Sept. 2017 - The Nazis' Yeti army in Antarctica.

Being the latest fun idea to ponder. Here are two of about 4 returns on a search of ATS for: polynyas

ATS, 2003 - coverup in antarctica?.
ATS, 2010 - Giant iceberg could change weather patterns.

After reading the responses, I did not see a use of the term.

A polynya /pəˈlɪnjə/ is an area of open water surrounded by sea ice. It is now used as geographical term for an area of unfrozen sea within the ice pack.

Source: Wikipedia.

Since One of the biggest icebergs in recorded history just broke loose from Antarctica, earlier this year (July), there is almost frantic desire to get down there and see what is under the ice as Scientists to visit hidden Antarctic ecosystem (Oct. 2017). But not just in the sea: Researchers find secret, warm oasis beneath Antarctica's ice, which is on land.

Dangit if the place doesn't get curioser and curioser!

A hole as large as Lake Superior or the state of Maine has opened up in Antarctica, and scientists aren't sure why it's there.

The gigantic, mysterious hole "is quite remarkable," atmospheric physicist Kent Moore, a professor at the University of Toronto's Mississauga campus, told me over the phone. "It looks like you just punched a hole in the ice."

"This is hundreds of kilometres from the ice edge. If we didn't have a satellite, we wouldn't know it was there."

A polynia [sic] was observed in the same location, in Antarctica's Weddell Sea, in the 1970s, according to Moore, who's been working with the Southern Ocean Carbon and Climate Observations and Modelling (SOCCOM) group, based at Princeton University, to analyze what's going on. Back then, scientists' observation tools weren't nearly as good, so that hole remained largely unstudied. Then it went away for four decades, until last year, when it reopened for a few weeks. Now it's back again.

motherboard.vice.com, Oct. 10, 2017 - A Giant, Mysterious Hole Has Opened Up in Antarctica.

The fact that it had appeared before make the scientist believe that convection currents are involved as warm and cold water mix at a previous weak spot in the ice sheet. I think that is a good explanation for one near the edge but hundreds of kilometers away and however thick it is (not mentioned in this article)??

There have been reports of UFOs, ray guns shooting... something... out of the ice, and plenty here on ATS for alien bases and portals.

Natural phenomena or not, add one more item to the strangeness in Antarctica!!

Myself? I will keep an open mind on something that might punch a hole through a sheet of ice the size of Lake Superior!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Oh CERN what have you done now?

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

Oh CERN what have you done now?

Could be a queen Alien about to escape.

I say nuke it and call it a day.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Just a hot spring on top of a volcano.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I just have to drop this vid into the mx

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Whatever it is I hope we find out what it is soon.

Some say it's the portal to hell... Would pretty much fit with what all else is going on in the world right now.

Ugh.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Does not seem frightful since it seems to be occurring cyclically. I do wonder how deep it is? Anybody know if there has been any seismic or volcanic activity in this area? I have seen some awesome underwater footage of volcanic activity slowly trying to create new islands. Isn't it possible that this is simply that?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Hehe. At this point, on this planet, an AVP battle royale would be most welcome!

a reply to: ni91ck

80,000 square km wide?

a reply to: the2ofusr1

Yeah, forget HAARP. The water swirling around Antarctica shoot threads of cold water out that affect the oceans they trail out into. Which in turn does heat exchange with surface water feeding storms and winds.

Agree, it all starts at the South Pole!

a reply to: silo13

See first reply!

a reply to: CynConcepts

It seems pretty thick as it drills down to open water from the surface. It is basically hundreds of km from the ice's edge. The ice tends to push outwards from land. I don't think a volcano or something would follow along.

Weddell Sea has it's own gyre too (a circular region where the center stays put and currents flow around that. The gyres in other oceans are where the plastic islands are). So, if there is circulation already in the area why would there be even more where the polynya is? Seems they would all collide and make a "big slushy" instead of an iceberg with a hole in the middle.

Honestly, IDK. Just an observation.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
GAH! Network issues... again.

One day is fine. I get it, the network guys have a maintenance window. But two?

If I don't reply, I'm probably restarting my browser!

to everybody's response so far!

-TEOT

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

(HEAVY SIGH)...I'll get my rifle.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

We've been having some unusual solar activity lately (along with all the natrual disasters). Maybe the hole was created by Berkland currents between the earth and sun???

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

There you go!

I like the "outside the box" type thinking.

Besides heat, what else would eat through ice? Plasma? Magnetic current over a diffuse area? There were a couple instances recently of holes in the magnetic fields and some increase in radiation detected (it was on spaceweather.com one day, forget which kind but it was not normal sunlight).

A natural source. Not quite the Nazi Base but is a possibility!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Well, our atmosphere is "zebra striped" with alternately rotating concentric rings of air. Those rings are more tightly packed at the poles, and less consentrated near the equator. The EU theory thinks that each ring is driven by a plasma column/filament connected to the sun. I think thats what drives tornadoes, hurricanes, and other storm systems. The plasma would have a thermal effect. With that in mind, if you think about the poles, the plasma would be much more concentrated, so possibly much hotter.

I'm just speculating. I'm sure someone like Phage will be around soon enough to tell me how terribly ignorant I sound.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Could be a giant beaver.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree with a couple of you. The Predators are coming to fight the Xenomorph Queen...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I'm not an EU fan but hey, that is what a theory is for: observe, test. process data, repeat.

The scientists only think it is "convection currents" that explain this. They are not certain either. It does sound good but that is a pretty huge hole that looks like it was pressed out with a cutter like a biscuit.

If it is a natural phenomena then it has pretty huge effects and should be an item of study.

PS - I always say, "If you say his name three times, he will appear"!

a reply to: gimcrackery

Space Beaver! That is a good comic book! Followed for a bit but... you know how it goes.

a reply to: HomerinNC

Speaking of aliens... the Weddell Sea is the area that the secret Nazi base is supposed to be located. Just sayin'!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Well, our atmosphere is "zebra striped" with alternately rotating concentric rings of air. Those rings are more tightly packed at the poles, and less consentrated near the equator. The EU theory thinks that each ring is driven by a plasma column/filament connected to the sun. I think thats what drives tornadoes, hurricanes, and other storm systems. The plasma would have a thermal effect. With that in mind, if you think about the poles, the plasma would be much more concentrated, so possibly much hotter.

I'm just speculating. I'm sure someone like Phage will be around soon enough to tell me how terribly ignorant I sound.

Is what you are talking about related to the plasma tubes first viewed with radio telescopes recently?

Australian Student Confirms That Giant Plasma Tubes Are Floating Above Earth

They respond to the magnetosphere being pushed on by the solar wind. And they are closer to the ground at the poles. They alternate plasma no plasma no plasma like stripes around the earth following the field lines.. they also rotate around the earth..

When I heard the strange sky sounds those tubes would have been pushed a lot closer to the ground because the sun was going nutty..

When the magnetosphere was most stressed was when I heard the sounds..

I don't exactly think it could melt a giant piece of ice. I imagine something very hot is down there.

Or maybe that's a test spot for the giant laser beam in soace!! Kind of like hey Russia you see that hole??

I want Someone to find something out of this world in antarctica.. it's like the last candidate for my childhood dreams of finding something super secret.. Black triangle ufo was cool, but no one to really share in it..

I want something so big the whole world watches.

"Mr president... We've located the aliens."

What if aliens and demons are the same dudes and hell is really a hole in antarctica?? And hells army of flying saucers comes to get us after...
"Hell unfreezes over?"

Something..

By the way my autocorrect changed hell to He'll then bell and hello after.. the #??
edit on 11-10-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I dunno what this is all about but it would be great to see a thread on it if there's not one already.

Hint Hint...

As for the hole in the Arctic? If I remember right there is a scripture saying how hell will be 'loosed' on earth. I'll have to go find it.

peace

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ooo.. .Antarctica, the weirdo's goto geography...thanks to Lovecraft and inaccessibility.

A hole of such size does make one wonder. I've heard climate scientists saying the exponential nature of warming will make the "end" portion very rapid. Maybe it's methane unfreezing and punching holes? If so, I give us a year or three ... max (kidding as I'm basically clueless, but actually having a climate scientist cry as he tells you about their 'extinction hypothesis' makes an impression).

Oh well, maybe ancient tech has 'woken up'...or something even cooler, like a 2000 km wide leviathan, will waddle out and give us something to talk about for a few weeks.

Those possibilities are better than projected runaway warming acidifying the oceans and suffocating us all. Skoal to frozen mysteries!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join