It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant, Mysterious Hole Has Opened Up in Antarctica

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Whatever it is I hope we find out what it is soon.

Some say it's the portal to hell... Would pretty much fit with what all else is going on in the world right now.

Ugh.

Funny you mention that. There are hundreds of conspiracy videos and posts showing weird things going on in Antarctica.

Remember when John Kerry made a last minute trip down to Antarctica on the day of the election? Who do you think he went down there to talk to on Nov 12th, the day the USA voted on the President? Coincidence?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Surely the most convincing argument for the flat earth theory so far.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Add to that. What was Buzz Aldrin doing down there too when he was medevaced out?

a reply to: CrapAsUsual

Let's see. You poke a hole in the earth and it is flat, why didn't all the water drain out?

Maybe it was supposed to fall up but like, the atmosphere's density... OK, I give up! From now on, I will just smile, and nod, and say, "Yes. The earth is flat", then be on my way as fast as I can.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Good to see ATS is staying on topic as usual.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Wasn't entirely off topic or it would be gone by now. Meant as a little joke anyway.
Seems like you could probably loosen up a little.

If you're too butthurt, it's easier to hit report rather than a response that adds even less to this OP's good thread. Or better yet, brush it off and move along.

Good day to you.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Remember when John Kerry made a last minute trip down to Antarctica on the day of the election? Who do you think he went down there to talk to on Nov 12th, the day the USA voted on the President? Coincidence?

I'd forgotten all about that - how bizarre! I'm going to have to go check that out more now. Woohoo! This could get good.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

And let's not forget :

What U S Gov found in ANTARCTICA But Covered Up "Operation Highjump".

peace
edit on 1510Thursday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

I'd forgotten all about that - how bizarre! I'm going to have to go check that out more now. Woohoo! This could get good.
You might want to start by checking the actual date of the election.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Admiral Richard E. Byrd warned today that the United States should adopt measures of protection against the possibility of an invasion of the country by hostile planes coming from the polar regions. The admiral explained that he was not trying to scare anyone, but the cruel reality is that in case of a new war, the United States could be attacked by planes flying over one or both poles. This statement was made as part of a recapitulation of his own polar experience, in an exclusive interview with International News Service. Talking about the recently completed expedition, Byrd said that the most important result of his observations and discoveries is the potential effect that they have in relation to the security of the United States. The fantastic speed with which the world is shrinking – recalled the admiral – is one of the most important lessons learned during his recent Antarctic exploration. I have to warn my compatriots that the time has ended when we were able to take refuge in our isolation and rely on the certainty that the distances, the oceans, and the poles were a guarantee of safety.

-Admiral Richard E. Byrd, March 5, 1947

Wikipedia: Operation Highjump.

Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies when I read it. Makes you wonder, who's planes, huh?

At the Nazi Yeti thread, they claim several nuclear bombs were set off. Presumably, the US was looking for the Nazi base.

Now a polynya away from shore and the ice's edge.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ni91ck
Just a hot spring on top of a volcano.

Now now you're spoiling the party. I know I know it would be useful if folks actually read the reports about Antartica's active volcanoes under a mile of ice but hey ho Nazis are more exciting.......come to think of it : A hot hollow cavern under a mile of ice is way more interesting than a bunch of Nazi extras from a bad 1950's B movie!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

For a long time I thought the weird conspiracy buzzing about Antarctica was tabloid disinfo, and Byrd's quote meant airforces going the "short way" over the poles. I still do.

But all the constant noise is breaking me down and that Delonge book (and other documents and researchers) saying Nazis really were there, with their "Di Glock" hovering gun platforms (or however it's spelt) makes me waiver a teensy bit.

But I wouldn't be too floored if old nazis and way older ruins showed up... though the legit scientific discoveries there are pretty wild.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

It would be great if people actually looked at the photo of where the hole was located and it size before making a simplistic comment (with emoji).

a reply to: Baddogma

It does not have to be Nazis and their vile henchmen. But that would be conspirator-y!

Thinking about it a bit more. There was record low ice last year (or so). Maybe the ice punched a hole downwards into something like a spring. Then the ice grows during winder, the new stream of water causes circulation with the layers creating the well document polynyas (but not well known word, at least by me!)

Thins is, they do not know what is going on down there that made this happen, pause for 40 years, then start back up over the past two years.

The Nazi stuff was just to be inclusive with "alternative theories" which ask interesting questions. The Operation Highjump had a good treatment at the OP's Nazi Yeti thread. Anyway, the non-militarization of Antarctica has pretty much superseded that threat.

And we all know that the Nazi went to Argentina anyways!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

It would be great if people actually looked at the photo of where the hole was located and it size before making a simplistic comment (with emoji).
Indeed. And a quick look at Google Earth indicates that the sea floor is about 16,000 feet below the hole. So...probably doesn't have much do do with that.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

My all time favorite alien movie, but took me a very very long time to watch it again....

Don't even start with that!! LoL 😁😁😁😎

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I just have to drop this vid into the mx

πŸ˜²πŸ˜²πŸ˜²πŸ˜²πŸ˜²πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

If this doesn't stop..... we're looking at Fallout 3 !! Just without the radiation...?

Yeah, I remember when aerosols were banned if they had Boron (?) In them.... because it was punching a hole in the ozone....

..... πŸ™

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It is probably a volcanic vent or hot spring that went dead for a while and fired back up.

From what I understand of Antarctica, a lot of it that is covered under the ice sheet is volcanic and active,
kind of like the ring of fire. I don't remember where I read that, but I read it somewhere within the last year or two.

So that is just my guess,
A lake/hole heated by volcanic activity

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Looking closer at Google Earth; here's something interesting. Near as I can tell, the hole is located near (within 100 miles or so) of the Maud Rise seamount.

Now check this out:

A distinctive halo of sea ice deformation was observed above the Maud Rise seamount in the eastern Weddell Sea in the winter of 2005.

Though this paper is not specifically about a hole in the ice, it does say this:

Several authors hypothesize how environmental features may interact to cause ice thinning and polynya formation. Holland [2001a, 2001b] uses an isopycnal model to demonstrate how Ekman effects, induced by ocean circulation (in particular, cyclonic eddy shedding) can lead to ice thinning and polynya formation around an idealized seamount. He shows that transients in the mean oceanic flow toward the seamount produce polynya positioned on the flank of the seamount and located about 90 degrees to the left of the direction of the oncoming flow transient.

The central idea being that the sea mount causes mixing with a deeper layer of warmer, saltier water by spinning off vortices. Similar to the way a mountain on land influences the weather around it by deflecting the wind. So, a periodic change in deep sea currents in the area?

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
edit on 10/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Mr. Phage, you are a scholar and a gentleman!!

The depth of the ice is interesting! The timing too.

I just want to keep an eye on this for everyone's awareness.

It is... different!
edit on 12-10-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Stupid autocorrect

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The same spot had opened 40 years ago and filled itself and is back again. Just thought I would add this as some headlines read as if it's nothing before seen.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

It is probably a volcanic vent or hot spring that went dead for a while and fired back up.

From what I understand of Antarctica, a lot of it that is covered under the ice sheet is volcanic and active,

Nope. It's sea ice. With 16,000 feet of sea water under it.

edit on 10/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join