It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant, Mysterious Hole Has Opened Up in Antarctica

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
They're a normal part of the ecosystem.
Just because it's the Southern Pole it shouldn't warrant people being so flummoxed. It's a relatively common term if you read about circumpolar coastal peoples hunting techniques.

nsidc.org...

Polynyas are areas of persistent open water where we would expect to find sea ice. For the most part, they tend to be roughly oval or circular in shape, but they can be irregularly shaped, too. The water remains open because of processes that prevent sea ice from forming or that quickly move sea ice out of the region. There are two types of polynyas (described below), differentiated by the mechanism of ice removal. One process often dominates in a given polynya, but both can occur.

www.arctic-council.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

EU is "electric universe".

Not certain if they are the same thing but that is a very interesting item you've bought to the table.

I wonder if we can connect it to "Steve" (the purple plasma arc that is not part of the aurora)?

Did you see my thread about missing matter being found in plasma arches between galaxies?

Ah, fun with plasma!

('sup?)

a reply to: silo13

I was looking for a few items myself (particle count increase on those solar flares) but couldn't find anything. Strange.

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I knew the other poster said electric universe, I do have a super basic idea of what that means but I've never looked into it.. reminds me of how hard it is to get electromagnetism and gravity into a unified field theory

No!! I definitely missed that thread.
Sounds yummy

My life has gotten stressful again and no magic this time so it's just bleh..

But yea I'll definitely be checking it out..

edit on 11-10-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

OK.

This is on the flip side of the globe. The one in OP is not "persistent" but went away for 40 years. And it is huge.

he Weddell Polynya is reasonably well understood. "The Southern Ocean is strongly stratified. A very cold but relatively fresh water layer covers a much warmer and saltier water mass, thus acting as an insulating layer," explains Prof. Dr. Mojib Latif, head of the Research Division at GEOMAR.

Under certain conditions, the warm water of the lower layer can reach the surface and melt the ice. "This is like opening a pressure relief valve - the ocean then releases a surplus of heat to the atmosphere for several consecutive winters until the heat reservoir is exhausted," adds Professor Latif.

Yet two major questions remain: how often does the polynya occur and does climate change influence this process?

spacedaily.com - Return of the Weddell polynya supports Kiel climate model.

Like the polar one, it ebbs and grows. And it is hundreds of kilometers from the edge of the ice and ocean (the ice shelf continuing out to sea). It seems natural but scientists are at a loss as to why it would pick back up again after such a long silence; hence the term "mysterious" in the title (I think).

Dumb real world! I know what you mean about stress. Been rather busy myself the last few weeks.

Nice to see you! I'm sure you'll be around when the time is right!

edit on 11-10-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tag on message

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

They are saying it's the same thing but this one can't be formed the same way..

What's strange here, though, is that this polynia is "deep in the ice pack," he said, and must have formed through other processes that aren't understood

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

That video details a much more localized version of what I'm talking about, but there are also currents connecting the planet to the sun. Its trickle-down effect of plasma.

Here's a better explanation of what I mean.

I wouldn't expect intense heat to be a common occurrence, but very recently, our sun blasted an X-class flare. It was strong enough to cause communication interference in the Caribbean, while simultaneously causing auroras at the poles. So maybe it was enough to cause extremely localized intense heat, like a MEGA lightning bolt or something. It would depend on the coherency of the plasma reaching us.

But again, I'm just speculating. I love electromagnetism, so I tend to see it in everything.
edit on 11-10-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Wasn't being a smart-@$$.

If you've been paying attention to the concern about changes in ocean currents it would seem to be a normal thing. Granted I know a little bit more about the Arctic, but dumps of fresh water from under the Antarctic Ice would account for the changes in local currents and result in a Polynya.

The first link I provided covered both types.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Interesting. Guess between you and TEOTT I have my next rabbit hole

Hehe.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

It is a most promising rabbit hole to follow. BTW, I think the difference between gravity and magnetism is the difference between light from a light bulb vs light from a laser. Its coherency vs incoherency.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
OK backtracking Kent Moore's original statements cause every blog and news outlet is running with the same thing.

Scientists believe the polynya is formed because of the deep water in the Southern Ocean being warmer and saltier than the surface water. Ocean convection occurs in the polynya by bringing warmer water to the surface, which then melts the sea ice and prevents new ice from forming.

www.utoronto.ca...

It was smaller and discovered last winter, so they looked again this year.

The harsh winter in Antarctica makes it hard to find holes like this one, so it can be difficult to study them. This is the second year that a polynya formed, though last year’s hole was not as big. Scientists knew to monitor the area for polynyas this year because of last year’s discovery.

The deep water in that part of the Southern Ocean is warmer and saltier than the surface water. Ocean currents bring the warmer water upwards, where it melts the blankets of ice that had formed on the ocean’s surface. That melting created the polynya.

Since the hole continually exposes the water to the atmosphere above, it is difficult for new ice layers to form. When the warmer water cools, on contact with the frigid temperatures in the atmosphere, it sinks. Then it reheats in deeper areas, allowing the cycle to continue.

Moore says they are working to understand what is triggering the formation of these holes again after so many years. He thinks it is likely that marine mammals could be using this new opening to breathe.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

While I love me some weirdness, this looks more like some scientific clickbait boiled down to make getting funding easier.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The same "hole" appears in the same spot over and over over time: reason unknown.

Source was I believe an article in Science Digest or some other regarding "Hole the size of Maine opens up in Antartica"...or close to that.

It was searchable either early today or yesterday. Interesting

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Book of Enoch. Azazel and Semyaza locked up in Dudael and whatnot. It was a desert after all.
edit on 11/10/17 by Sump3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
OH CRAPppppp*tosses glasses aside* SIgh...
WHat is it now? Spaceballs....
Well crap..there goes th eplanet.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

Whatever it is I hope we find out what it is soon.

Some say it's the portal to hell... Would pretty much fit with what all else is going on in the world right now.

Ugh.

Portal to hell?

In my mind that means a portal back to earth.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I kid you not the rabbit hole just grabbed me by the ankles and dragged me right in! What the actual...

I was finishing watching CNN faking news stories video, and my hand slipped and now I'm watching a video by accident michiu kaku talking about climate change and using lasers to control hurricanes.. lasers dislodge electrons basically which makes ions.. lightning and rain..

It's this conspiracy video, so loud music random voiceovers inspired of course, but I'm like whatever it's only 5 minutes long, and ...

And then airforce guy talking about why the airforce discontinued their testing at HAARP saying it worked.. we dont need to test anymore. It controls the ionosphere..

And guess who comes in next?? Electric universe theory guy talking about plasma and arcs auroras and I'm just like wtf??

I didn't even start yet I was watching fake news gawd lol.. give me half a second to put some tinfoil on first geez.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Godzilla may be down there. Maybe he is going to come out and go after kim.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thank you for the video. Very informative. I didn't know about most of that.

It did however take some self control to not laugh at the accent.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
sink holes happen?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

You got me..

And now I'm hearing way more about Antarctica than before and I'm perplexed..

There are these oasis areas in many locations very close to the Southpole that have warm air circulating .. Russia and us put lots of equipment in these areas..

Scientist named Behrendt came across a lake with pinkish flowers growing in it..

I'm seeing at least 3 probably many mire of these about 200 square like areas of warm weather.. soil getting up to 77 degrees..

It's from this video.. would be weird if the warm areas are are related to the sea ice hole..

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Wow, over the last couple of months my fascination with ancient Eygpt and the Sumerians has slowly diminished and has been replaced with a new thirst for knowledge on all things Antartic for some reason and now you have started this thread.

2 days ago i was reading this thread from 10 years ago which i think you may find interesting,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What with the supposed pyramids of Antartic and now the information in your op, this is a rabbit hole am really looking forward to going down.

s&f

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join