It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Girls Can Now Join Boy Scouts?!?!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

I hear you and the conduct has been disgraceful. However, the times have forced a change it has been slow and ongoing but it is changing. As far as the abuse goes, they have taken steps like an adult is not allowed to be alone with a kid. There has to be others etc. As with everything its a start. Many of us in Scouting have been fighting to end the discrimination and exclusion for the LGBT community and this is an important change IMHO.

i hear you man and i agree with you.
maybe i am being hard but so far there have been lots of people in this thread talking about the ideals taught and how to become a man but you are the first 1 to address the issues that are going on or have gone on with it.

imo on one hand a person cant argue for this great organization and the ideals it teaches when on the other hand that organization has to take steps such as not letting an adult be alone with a kid.
to me it sounds like a very serious problem that not a single person before you has mentioned save for me and my smart ass comments.

an organization can have all the ideals in the world but when you have kid diddlers floating around the troops that kind of nullifies all that imo

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
Wow, this is nuts IMO. Now, I guess any club or organization is now fair game in becoming all inclusive.

The organization announced on Wednesday that families can sign up their sons and daughters for Cub Scouts starting in the 2018 program year. Another program, scheduled to begin in 2019, will allow older girls the opportunity to earn the coveted Eagle Scout rank.

The organization said Wednesday's decision brings the Boy Scouts closer to "the values of Scouting — trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent," said Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh.

www.cnbc.com...

Well, I think it's time to shut down both the Girl Scout and Boy Scout Organizations and form the "Gender Neutral Scouts Of America."

Slippery slope. They will have to let in old dudes that identify as young girls.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

but can those girls learn those skills from men because apparently boys cant learn those skills from women. at least according to some in this thread.
according to some the scouts are where a boy goes to learn to be a man but i read and linked what they are about and what they teach and i did not see where it said boys learn to be men. i guess i could have missed it

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Still waiting for the positive mommas boy statistics. Been waiting what a couple hours now have yet to see even one....

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I'm wondering if you might be able to speak to any integrations with / weighing influences from Americorps on the Boy Scouts?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Sheye

but can those girls learn those skills from men because apparently boys cant learn those skills from women. at least according to some in this thread.
according to some the scouts are where a boy goes to learn to be a man but i read and linked what they are about and what they teach and i did not see where it said boys learn to be men. i guess i could have missed it

I've always understood it to be about learning survival skills , and achieving merits and badges for it as well as for honourable behaviour. Something both sexes could learn ,side by side.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Half of our Troop leadership was women. I got my Eagle in 1984. Yes we learned sewing from the female leadership (it was a Troop requirement that you sew your own badges on. But we also learned wilderness medicine, Citizenship, knife skills, from women. My mother taught sewing and was the prime merit badge counselor for the 'Rifle and Shotgun Shooting".

That was in the 80's when gender roles were starting to migrate and were nowhere near inclusive as they are today. Can you imagine all that could be learned TODAY by having a diverse group of parent instructors!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'm wondering if you might be able to speak to any integrations with / weighing influences from Americorps on the Boy Scouts?

Its an interesting question. I view Americorps as more of a modern WPA and its geared for adults. Scouting by its nature is looking at making a change during the more formative years.

However, there does seem to be alot of synergy and it seem like a reasonable continuation of sorts. But I would have to do alot more research to give an informed opinion

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

This story reminded me of the work I did a year ago on the Americrops playing into Hillary's National Service dreams of regimented civilian soft paramilitarism.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And in that kit are their youth outreach designs, and it all dripping in Diversity identity politics and giving back slaps to BLM and their sorts. Note part of the array was founded and still has the blessing of the Bush family.

Doing the piece it reminded me of the Boy Scouts Explorer's program geared towards pushing Scouts towards Homeland Security jobs. So seeing Americorps for adults reaching down into the realm of minors make sense, in a Hitler's Youth bound in electrical tape with rainbow lightbulbs as a Christmas tree ornament (the one that goes up on the top tip of the tree) sort of way.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: shawmanfromny

why not create a new scout club that includes both sexes?
keep the girl scouts
keep the boy scouts
add the all inclusive scouts

We have mixed groups since the sixties. Nothing new, in fact most countries have:

Bizarre non-discussion.

edit on 11/10/17 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

i dont understand what you are getting at

why cant a girl be an eagle scout?
whats wrong with that

Why can't a girl be a GIRL Scout? That's why there are Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. Now, if Boy Scouts were the only scouting organization and there was no option for girls, I could see pushing for BS to become coed. But it's not.

What's wrong with boys being Boy Scouts and girls being Girl Scouts? Serious question.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

Cub Scouts are the very youngest group, the little boys in 1st to...I think 3rd grade. It's divided into different animal names for different ages.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

Yes, because who better to teach a boy how to be a man than... err... a woman?

Things Cub Scouts Do. Some of the best things about Cub Scouting are the activities you get to do: camping, hiking, racing model cars, going on field trips, or doing projects that help your hometown and the people who live there

girls can do those things. girls can teach those things.
are they teaching boys to piss standing up or are they teaching them how to start a fire?

Boy Scouting is a membership level of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) for boys and young men. It provides youth training in character, citizenship, and mental and personal fitness. Boy Scouts are expected to develop personal religious values, learn the principles of American heritage and government, and acquire skills to become successful adults.

holy # women can teach that stuff too

Right. And that's why we have GIRL SCOUTS. You know, for girls.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Moderator Apologies I went to reply and hit edit by mistake.
edit on 10/11/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

And to people on both sides of the issue: you do realize that BSA and GSA are not the only scouting organizations out there, right? There are others, and many of them are already co-ed. If you want a co-ed environment, sign you kids up for one of them.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
a reply to: NerdGoddess

And to people on both sides of the issue: you do realize that BSA and GSA are not the only scouting organizations out there, right? There are others, and many of them are already co-ed. If you want a co-ed environment, sign you kids up for one of them.

Fair enough.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

(Robotic voice) We Are All The Same. We Must Not Be Different. We Are All The Same. (/Robotic voice)

This is just idiotic. Girls have their version of the Boy Scouts, if not I'd totally agree. It seems to me that it boils down to certain groups forcing others to do what they want as a sign of power.

@TinySickTears, perhaps because it has something to do with the bigger picture?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Assuming activists were involved here, perhaps the Girl Scouts should have been innovated from within. That they'd go after the BOY Scouts, instead, is the issue that is the Big Story in all of this. That is, it's not as much as the apparent implications of the switch but the WHO & WHY behind it and how it came about.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
There is already a branch of the BSA that has boys and girls in it. It's called: Venturing

Venturing is an inclusive program through the Boy Scouts of America for males and females aged 14-21 (or 13 and completed the 8th grade). It's operated through Venturing Crews, units of youth and advisors that meet on set schedules and plan activities and events for youth like you! To find a crew near you and join the fun, visit "Be A Scout"!

We have Venture Scouts in my areas, and the senior scouts help with summer camps. They spend a lot of time out doors and do a lot of what is called High Adventure. This includes going scuba diving, very long hikes in rough areas, mountain climbing and survival training both on land and on the water.

They even have the same oath and law as the BSA.

Uniforms look just like the BSA, except the shirts are dark green.

Girls normally enter the program from the GSA.

This branch has been around since 1998....so for almost 20 years, girls have been part of the Boy Scouts of America already.

Why are so many of you freaking out?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I too still do not see the issue all I see here is blatant sexism.

So every day every hr has to be coed?
edit on 11-10-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join