It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Girls Can Now Join Boy Scouts?!?!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Habs2133
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Its not that this can't happen, or that it's even a big deal generally speaking. It's just that men/boys/guys in general don't always want a female around. Period. Why does that have to be an issue for women? Why can't women respect that? I don't understand...

I mean I don't think it should be forced on the boys or the girls & to my knowledge its not, I heard that the pack leaders will be able to choose if they will be a co-ed group or not- group by group.

I'd really support a Co-Ed scout program for the parents who don't care. Then they could leave BSA and GSA the way it is for people with more traditional needs. But either way the dominoes fall I don't think it's something worth getting put off over. Thanks for replying. And thanks to everyone who replied to me as well.

-Alee
edit on 10/13/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It's been like this for years in Australia.

Though like all the feel good politically correct moves, I've not yet seen boys being allowed to join the girl guides.

GG Australia's web site description:
Girl Guides Australia - For girls and young women

Looked through the site and can find no references to allowing males to join.

But you visit the boy scouts site and you find this:

Adapting to the general changes in Australian society, Scouting admitted girls and young women to its Venturer Scout and Rover Scout Sections in 1973 and its Cub Scout and Scout Sections in 1988. The Joey Scout Section commenced on 1 July 1990 and is open to boys and girls aged between six and seven-and-a-half years of age.

Now excuse me I am heading off to go join a womens only gym, because equality makes us all equal.

edit: oh you can join the UK Girl Guides if you're a boy apparently.....but you must identify as a girl...... Imagine if girls had to identify as boys to join the scouts? What a hoohaa we would see. lol
edit on 13-10-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: forgot something

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well the MODS sure have been crybabies on this thread....

Real sensitive....

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
They are the ones that have opened it up to girls, it is not girls that demanded they be admitted.

Not true. They opened it up in response to massive pressure, and girls absolutely wanted in. Sydney Ireland was the most recent poster child for the movement.

The demands had lots of media and feminist support behind them including the National Organization for Women endorsing and lobbying for the change.

originally posted by: retiredgoth
This is about parents who don't have any alternative arrangements available for their daughters, for whatever reason, while their sons are participating. For example, a single parent with a son and daughter, who has nowhere else to take the daughter.

Nonsense. Girl Scout and Brownie programs are available all across the nation, as are numerous extracurricular school activities, martial arts programs, music lessons, etc.. The list of options goes on and on.

originally posted by: retiredgoth
It is also about parents being tired of seeing their daughters exploited to sell cookies.

Completely laughable. As if being "exploited" to sell popcorn is any different than selling cookies? Programs like these all have fundraisers to keep dues reasonable, and to fund activities.
edit on 10/13/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Honestly, if they want to pull this crap, then eliminate both boys and girls scouts, cub scouts, brownies, and eagle scouts. Just create a unisex scouting program with gender neutral uniforms.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Lol at all the angst.

Girls have been able to join Scouts in Canada for quite a while. My daughetr did it for a few years until the religious aspect got to her. But while there, she won the award for best Scout two out of three years. Put most of the boys to shame at just about everything except the hiking. She just doesn't like hiking so never gave it her all. She left Scouts to join Army cadets and she excels it as well.

And guess what, the organization hasn't collapsed. The only major change was that they required an adult to never be left alone with the kids. That's boy and girls. Always needed at least two adults with the kids.

Oh and my other daughter plays hockey. Boys hockey. And she is one of the best goalies in the league and takes no # from the boys who think because shes a girl they can push her around. She got a penalty for smashing a boy in the side of his head with her blocker after he knocked her mask off and the ref didn't do anything. She was left alone pretty much after that. And the other kids on her team have her back.

But I teach my kids to be strong young girls who are capable of doing anything they put their minds too and not to be victims or let some folks like some of you in this thread tell them what they can't do.

Their answer to that...

"Really? Watch me!"

Welcome to the 21st century folks.
edit on 13-10-2017 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

This has been the case in Australia for the better part of 30 years now...I live in a small town where there is a boy scout den that has both genders, and a brownie club that is exclusive to girls. Nobody has really questioned it because it was the same fat old woman running both clubs, even since I was a boy.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
New scout badge for master of reproductive organs
edit on 14-10-2017 by everyonedies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Remember when you could be biologically and mentally different, but still be equals?
When life was stable because people had roles, and knew their place in the world.

Geez I miss those days.

No wonder so many human being are so miserable these days. They stopped doing what makes them happy, and started doing what other people told them will make them happy.
Ignoring ones natural instincts will never end well.

Men cannot be men any more, and women must be both men and women now.

Really what is so wrong and evil about men wanting to be men and do men things?
Why is it people cannot do their own thing, they have to push their way into other peoples stuff, then act all surprised when it upsets the people encroached upon?
What is so difficult to understand?

I am honestly waiting for the day it appear sin the news that some idiot is out in the wild trying to get lioness to take the role of a lion. Because that is what feelings and a human would do.

God I so want off this planet. If I was an alien I'd avoid us like the plague we are based on humanities level of LEARNED stupidity.
edit on 14-10-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: typos as usual. probably more in there lol.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Ahhh yes, the good old days... when blacks never got uppity, gays stayed in the closet, and women knew their place was in the kitchen, barefoot and constantly pregnant. (insert eye-roll emoji here)

You may not know this, but there were a lot of really unhappy women in the "good old days". Men had the choice to be adventurers. They could join the military and see foreign lands, they could sail the high seas, they could travel alone anywhere they wanted. Women didn't always have those kinds of choices. Their only option was to be stuck in the home as mothers and cooks and cleaners. Some women were quite happy with that, but others who weren't naturally so maternal longed for adventures like the men could have.

Today, it's all about choices. Men can stay home if they want, and raise the kids while their wives earn the living. Women can join the military, or travel the world on their own, if they want. Or, if they want traditional roles, both men and women can do that too.

I don't know why some men are so weird about their "boys clubs" and not wanting the cooties of girls around them. Women certainly don't mind having men join them in the cooking and cleaning and rearing of the kids.

But you go ahead, pops, and lament the good old days when men ruled the earth. Don't forget to tell those damn kids to stay off your lawn while you're at it.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

great post.

the good old days were not so good for a lot of people

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Canada has been admitting girls into Scouts since 1998. The organization is still up and running, the girls have not brought the organization to the ground. Also in 2007 in Canada the Boy Scouts of Canada changed it's name to Scouts Canada. Not every girl wants to be a Brownie or a Girl Guide. I wish when I was growing up I had had the choice to join the Scouts I would have jumped at it. Girls won't harm the program.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
*snip*

Sorry lost me at tangents. Soon as you went on about gays and blacks etc.
I'm talking about biological gender roles, not racism, or homophobia.

Of course we should avoid all the bad stuff, learn from the mistakes of history.
You're kind of missing my point, but that is to be expected and kind of my point. Whatever works for ones agenda amiright?

People really have lost the ability for context haven't they?.

Now excuse me, I am off to watch humourous cat videos, where no doubt the comments will be about how the cats are relevant to Trump/Clinton, antifa, gay rights, #BLM and other bull# that are nothing to do with cat videos.

sign of the times and all that.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yeah the good old days that were mentioned in a reply, not in the actual post the reply was to.

Because nothing good ever happened in the past did it? But hey, someone points out something from the past and it's instantly 'the good old days'

What's a text based discussion without reading between the lines, and twisting it all to be what you want it to say, not what it does say?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Just remember a cub scout can't become a boy scout until he eats a brownie.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Well said on all fronts.

Times change, we evolve.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well, some young manly dude should apply for the girl scouts membership, then sue the crap out of them when his application is rejected, since the boy scouts have set precedent...

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: retiredgoth

Boy scouts do the same thing periodically selling stuff. Its not just girl scouts.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Dunno if military was a good example....when you know, they just wanted to see the sights in Europe then they stumble upon Nazis, ect ect.

It's easy to jump on a bandwagon, as if simply doing so somehow implies superiority or intelligence. But honestly just seems like a bunch of fair weather fans by and large.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: riiver

It's the most efficient way of fixing what is broken: taking advantage of what is already established.

That's not fixing anything. It's simply...taking advantage...of the effort someone else already put into their project to do it right. Like, your strawberry pie was really crappy but my blackberry pie was good, so you dump your pie out of its pie pan and slip mine into it instead of re-making your own damn pie with better ingredients.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join