It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Girls Can Now Join Boy Scouts?!?!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Just the chocolate covered minty ones

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
oh and idk even care who joins what my friend Jamie back then wanted to be a boyscout, and just a boy because she thought all the girl # sucked, she would've been a great scout.

just keep those snacks rolling out

boy scout should start selling some out of this world beef jerky hell make it out of all animals.

Poodle you say?

AMAZEBALLS

link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

why not create a new scout club that includes both sexes?
keep the girl scouts
keep the boy scouts
add the all inclusive scouts

link   
As a person who was a Boy Scout, I don't see an issue with it.

Spoils the fun a bit though. Where I lived the Boy Scout and Girl Scout camps were about a half mile apart and on camp outs it was traditional for us to raid the girls camp and pull out all their tent stakes. Camp outs might be an issue with girls and boys tents together.

I see a war is brewing. From August 23rd-

The Boy Scouts of America are conducting a “covert campaign” to get girls into their programs, according to a stern letter the Girl Scouts of the USA sent the Boy Scouts board on Monday. The letter, obtained by BuzzFeed, says that the BSA’s plan would "result in fundamentally undercutting [the] Girl Scouts.” A BSA spokeswoman confirmed that the organization has been “exploring the benefits of bringing Scouting to every member of the family—boys and girls,” though no final decisions have been made.

The War of the Girl Scout Cookies

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Just the chocolate covered minty ones

What no S'mores?

NO DO SI DOS?@!!

CARAMEL DELIGHTS?!

(strokes out)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

awkward boys cant be around girls.... well how about in teaching those boys how to be men they teach them how to be around girls? lets toss that into the mix along with whiddling some # and fly fishing.

Not that you dont have an argument, but the eventual diddlings wont be on my conscious.

edit on 11-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Pretty sure they got some crap called Campfire or something I know because thats where my friend Jamie went, apparently it wasnt all that back in the 80s. :p

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I don't see this as a problem at all. It seems to me that it should have been simply "Scouts" from the start. Let the natural instincts of peoples interests decide their involvement. Why separate such things by a persons sex anyway??? What's the point in doing so other than to empower one group over another???

If those lessons interest you, whether you're a girl or boy, shouldn't matter and you shouldn't be excluded based on something beyond your control.

It shouldn't even be thought of as "A girl wants to join the Boy Scouts." Why not just a girl wants to join the Scouts just like a boy wants to join the Scouts???

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Because compromises that that arent what these group supremacist initiatives are about.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
There sure are a lot of tears and tiny sick zombies with no conscious polluting this thread.
This isn't an issue of gender he quality. It's an issue of traditional American values in organizations having hit jobs performed on them. I can guarantee the vast majority he of the organization known as the Boy Scouts which includes all the troops, scoutmasters and the actual scouts had no say in this matter. There was no vote it wasn't a democratic decision it was a very top down decision. Also so there is already a co-ed version of the Boy Scout and they operate along side the BSA at higher age groups called venture Scouts or venture crews.

link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

yeah but do you worry about the boy diddles or is it only a worry with the girls?

dude nobody is wrong for how they feel about what situations they put their kids into.

do you feel like a boy is less likely to get the diddle?
any reason?

maybe i am a hypocrite because while i argue that i think it should be co ed i wouldnt put my daughter in it but to be fair i wouldnt put my son in it either and it has nothing to do with co ed. its because people are #ing creepers and my younglings are not going to be in the woods with them. i have no way of knowing who they are.
i just get a vibe from it.

having said that at the moment my daughter does not want to start jiu jitsu class but if and when she does i have no problem with her grappling with boys. none at all.
just vibes i get and as a parent that is my luxury.

in the end i think a lot of these arguments against this are stupid and have no merit but that is all for the sake of tis conversation. if a person feels like they should not put their boy in a co ed venture like this then they shouldnt. i think it is stupid and i dont get it but they shouldnt.

just like i am sure people would not let their daughter grapple around on the ground with boys. im sure some probably can not wrap their head around it and think people are stupid for letting their kids do it and for them they are not wrong.

link   

S'mores? Caramel Delights?, damn..we getting shortchanged in Canada.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RogueWaterC1
There sure are a lot of tears and tiny sick zombies with no conscious polluting this thread.
i see what you did there
It's an issue of traditional American values in organizations having hit jobs performed on them. .

nothing like a religious organization started in 1910 with multiple abuse scandals and million dollar pay outs to teach those ole american values....

hell yea

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well its about time.......... Full disclosure: I'm an Eagle Scout myself (Troop and Post 153)

Scouting is facing alot of challenges. The previous decades spent fighting the tide of change (and lets face it they really lacked the moral highground in many a battle) has resulted in decreased relevance and declining enrollment.

This is a step forward and If any of you have spent time dealing with the Girl Scouts organization you will understand the appeal they Boy Scouts presents. When my son was a cub scout, we were overwhelmed by the number of sisters of scouts that wanted to get in on the activities and fun. Girl Scouts in my experience exists to sell cookies and other products that benefit the national organization. If the goal (and it may have been back at the start) is to raise an ideal 'Stepford" lady, then the GS hit their mark. The Boy Scouts for all their faults do help instill leadership, mentoring, self reliance, team reliance, skills that may seem archaic but also have a place in the modern world. etc etc. NONE of that was evident at GS.

Welcome ladies and may you get as much out of scouting as I have.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: RogueWaterC1

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

nothing like a religious organization started in 1910 with multiple abuse scandals and million dollar pay outs to teach those ole american values....

hell yea

I hear you and the conduct has been disgraceful. However, the times have forced a change it has been slow and ongoing but it is changing. As far as the abuse goes, they have taken steps like an adult is not allowed to be alone with a kid. As with everything its a start. Many of us in Scouting have been fighting to end the discrimination and exclusion for the LGBT community and this is an important change IMHO. A group of concerned parents penned this open letter a few years back and we basically rebelled against the council and the national organization.

In the end we had to pull our kids as we would not send them a mixed message. It is to late for my son, but for the next generation of men and now women, scouting presents a real opportunity to learn leadership and skills.

Scouting, above all, is about our children. It is about learning teamwork, camaraderie and self-worth. Scouting transcends the Norman Rockwell image of mastering camping skills and helping elderly people safely cross a street. Scouting teaches the importance of respect for one's self, for one's family and for one's community.

But when it comes to the matter of discrimination, Scouting falls short.

We are dismayed and appalled by the blatant discrimination displayed by the leadership of Troop 212 in Moraga, who have denied an openly gay Scout his Eagle rank, and by the leadership of the Mount Diablo Silverado Council, who revoked the Scout's membership altogether. Citing official policy, the council stated:

"Recently, a Scout proactively notified his unit leadership and Eagle Scout counselor that he does not agree to Scouting's principle of 'duty to God,' and does not meet Scouting's membership standard on sexual orientation ... he is being informed that he is no longer eligible for membership in Scouting."

Discrimination is the very antithesis of the values we seek to teach through Scouting. Scouting, and the many positive values it nurtures that aren't learned in school, should be open to all regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. We know that in diversity lies our strength. We reject the discrimination displayed by the Mt. Diablo Silverado Council and the national Scouting organization.

We call upon the Boy Scouts of America to reinstate Ryan Andresen's membership, grant him his Eagle rank and to embrace our nation's deep-rooted diversity. And in doing so, fulfill Ryan's dream and restore the self- respect of many Scouts who are now questioning their involvement with your organization.

We call upon each and every Cub Scout pack and every Boy Scout troop, post and council to resist becoming the unwilling tools of a policy rooted in the previous century and, rather, to join us in the new millennium.

Allen Bush, Eric Bloom and Fred Taleghani are the parents of boys in Cub Scouts in Palo Alto. www.sfgate.com...

edit on 10/11/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Hell yea...and add to that list this tidbit: the Boy Scouts caved into the political correctness agenda of the Left. First they allow Transgender boys in January, now this. Even the Girl Scout organization is not OK with this move smh:

"I formally request that your organisation stay focused on serving the 90 percent of American boys not currently participating in Boy Scouts... and not consider expanding to recruit girls," Mrs Hannah wrote to Boy Scouts president Randall Stephenson in August.

Over the summer, Girl Scout president Kathy Hopinkah Hannah wrote an open letter to Boy Scouts officials accusing them of a "covert campaign" to recruit girls into the organisation, which she said is confronting "well-documented" declining membershi

www.bbc.com...

This was foreseen back in August!

The Girl Scouts of the USA have accused Boy Scouts of America of carrying out a "covert campaign to recruit girls into programs run by the Boy Scouts" in hopes of appealing to millennial parents and bolstering their declining membership, according to a letter they sent the Boy Scouts board on Monday.

www.buzzfeed.com...

Damn Millennials!

edit on 10/11/2017 by shawmanfromny because: added info

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

When does a Cub Scout become a Boy Scout? When he eats his first brownie.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

didnt even take a whole page for people to start in with transgenders and showering.

totally not the topic at all

why are you all so afraid?

I have to agree with this. Girls can learn valuable skills alongside the boys, and as far as camping together, it's no different than a grade six class going on a camping trip together. Boys sleep with boys and the girls in same tents as well.

Personally, I don't see the big deal in combining the two... scouts and brownies , that is.🤷🏻‍♀️
edit on 11-10-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
Hell yea...and add to that list this tidbit: the Boy Scouts caved into the political correctness agenda of the Left. First they allow Transgender boys in January, now this. Even the Girl Scout organization is not OK with this move smh:

Well the GS are totally not okay with this because alot of our young ladies want to do more than sell cookies and see the Boy Scouts as a different path. Many obviously want to switch. Scouting offers unique opportunities and there is no reason other than a century old mentality to keep things separated. Are you saying counteracting outright sexism is a leftist PC ploy?

To quote Baden-Powell "Erudition - that is, reading, writing, and arithmetic - is taught in the schools; but where is the more important quality, character, taught? Nowhere in particular. There is no authorized training for children in character."

GS is not filling this need it seems.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join