It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Like the holocaust, it's something we must never forget. Forgive? Yes, but forgiveness of this magnitude can take many generations. Sorry you might not like that. It's just a simple reality.

Who are we forgiving? They are all dead, everyone one of them. And binding kids in school only whipps up people who had nothing happen to them in reference to slavery into a lather. None of the kids had anything to do with slavery, nothing.

This is divisive and not healing and smells of dividing kids into slave/master paradigm that does not apply.

edit on 19-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I linked to an article last page that was about this. The reason it became publicly discussed is because a black mom brought it to everyone's attention. It was her son's class, and the discussion from the principal indicates that it is a majority white, upper middle class school. Classic suburban California, really.

Maybe there's something to it. Isn't the usual complaints that teachers just teach to the test, and that schools in good neighborhoods do much better on tests? Here's a school doing something interactive, and more than just reading from a book and everyone gets upset.

Just "doing something interactive" different from the norm doesn't automatically make it a good thing, though.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Go to your room!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
They might as well mimic something more contemporary like forced child marriages, sex slavery, debt bondage, like found in India, Pakistan, China, Bangladesh and Mauritania. But no, instead of learning, we'd rather self-flagellate in a fit of repentance.
edit on 19-9-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Just "doing something interactive" different from the norm doesn't automatically make it a good thing, though.

Maybe, but what are your qualifications to say it's bad? The students were supervised the whole time, they were never put in danger, they weren't abused. It was a learning exercise.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Maybe, but what are your qualifications to say it's bad?

I won't speak for Burd but me? I'm their god damn parent. That's enough qualification.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I can't see how this is not illegal. How is this not false arrest or false imprisonment?

And why wouldn't they let the kids themselves know ... I'm sorry, this is bat-$#!% crazy.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I would like to know who the person was that came up with this piece of curriculum, and what exactly his/her reasoning or motivation was for designing the re-enactment in the way it was designed. Or, was it left up to each individual teaher as to how they would choreograph the "Slavery Project".

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Maybe, but what are your qualifications to say it's bad? The students were supervised the whole time, they were never put in danger, they weren't abused. It was a learning exercise.

Binding a child's hands is illegal. In fact teachers touching a child is illegal. Not me the law.

edit on 19-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I found a kindergarten teacher one time laying on her stomach in the classroom and making her students walk on her back! Her excuse was that she had a sore back and the pressure felt good.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
That school needs to be shut down and bulldozed after the entire school board is fired.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

My qualifications are common effing sense. It isn't necessary to put someone through even a mockery experience of barbarism to educate them that barbarism is bad. In fact, it's probably disadvantageous to the lesson intended... most of those kids likely already knew that slaves went through hell, what was served by tying them up, making them lay on the floor, and then... watch a theatrical movie scene? Seriously?

Whatever though. As I said earlier, your position identifies you as part of the problem. You are one of the reasons my kids are taught in our home, by my wife and I, rather than continuing to attend one of America's multitude of grist mill institutions of "pass the test" and indoctrination in BS.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Maybe, but what are your qualifications to say it's bad?

I won't speak for Burd but me? I'm their god damn parent. That's enough qualification.

Absolutely correct!

My children...not theirs.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: seasonal

I found a kindergarten teacher one time laying on her stomach in the classroom and making her students walk on her back! Her excuse was that she had a sore back and the pressure felt good.

Wow. The US really, really needs to break the teacher union so that the positions are entirely qualification and merit based, making it a simple process to separate the wheat from the chaff and cut that chaff loose so it is no longer serving as the reason our schools are nearly broke and have no improvement in educational success to show for all they've spent.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, as did I... but there was a point to it. This? Not so much.

And there's a purpose to what they're doing too. Whether or not it's actually effective is another question altogether. But the absurd, hysterical consternation on display in this thread isn't about how effective it is or isn't.

Your comment wasn't "oh this is just silly an won't teach anything" it was "they're binding 13/14 year olds who did nothing wrong." As if these kids were being subjected to truly harsh treatment or potentially injurious circumstances. We regularly expose children to harsh treatment, the very real possibility of injury, sometimes serious — and even death — in the name of sport.

And I'm all for sports in school. I personally learned a lot from the experience.

But what we have here is a complete lack of perspective and I think it's more about the fact that this is supposed to be an exercise that teaches something about slavery than the actual exercise itself.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

But what we have here is a complete lack of perspective and I think it's more about the fact that this is supposed to be an exercise that teaches something about slavery than the actual exercise itself.

Wrong. It's the exercise itself. Teach about slavery. History repeats if it's forgotten BUT do it without physical content. Sport is different. It's a voluntary activity.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Parents can have good intentions for their children while being incapable of making the best decision for them. Just being their parent doesn't give you the right to make a wrong choice.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Required reading for my son last year: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.

He was visibly shaken after reading the chapter in which Douglass went into detail of the whipping of his aunt. He had a hard time getting to sleep that night.

After finishing the book, he was appalled that people were treated that way.

That's all it took for him. No one had to bind his hands or treat him like a slave.

Ask him what he thinks of slavery and you'll get an earful about how messed up and bad it was.

Of course I'd expect no less of him as a Boy Scout who's almost made Eagle.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Binding a child's hands is illegal. In fact teachers touching a child is illegal. Not me the law.

It was done with parental permission wasn't it?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
we talking roots 1977 or roots 2016?
makes a difference

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join