It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: seasonal

Lightweights.

We had an actual Slave Day at my high school where the seniors, to help raise money, would be auctioned off to the under classmen to be their literal slaves for a day. Drive them to school? Check. Carry their stuff? Check. Fetch their lunch? Check. 'Entertain' your female slave owner if requested? Double check.

Kids these days are such wimps.

LOL. Also the days of kids driving their truck to school with a loaded gun on the gunrack. No one ever even cared. No one got shot either.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

This was not as long ago as you may think.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Lightweights.

We had an actual Slave Day at my high school where the seniors, to help raise money, would be auctioned off to the under classmen to be their literal slaves for a day. Drive them to school? Check. Carry their stuff? Check. Fetch their lunch? Check. 'Entertain' your female slave owner if requested? Double check.

Kids these days are such wimps.

So , you went to school in Nigeria ?
Thats the way they roll
The seniors OWN the underclassmen. The seniors pick a few and basically they are slaves until the senior graduates...
If they do not do what is asked , you dont wanna know what happens...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Let's all say it together. LAW SUIT.

CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT, going back ten years. you may receive a large cash reward.
i'm a non attorney spokesmen....oops spokesperson.

edit on 19-9-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I am both suspicious and surprised that some sort of action has not been taken against this stupidity.

The school should have had some one with 1/2 a brain to rub together think about possible litigation from teachers doing this.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
So , you went to school in Nigeria ?

New Jersey, where this isn't even close to the worst fundraiser there's been.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

i wondered that as soon as i read it, first thought was ten years? how could there not be some parent bitchin about it.
but i betcha that if there was a class action suit brought, there would be hundreds of parents lining up for free money.

what would be even sadder, lawyers would get a third.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
WTH is this John Wayne Gacy High or what?

Maybe instead of lining kids up/taping their wrists teachers should show instructional videos on how to escape zip ties/duct tape. You know just in case someone kidnaps them to supply the present day sex slave industry. That's far more likely to impact kids today than black slavery of old. Just saying.

I can't think of a good reason for allowing anyone to bind my wrists. Can't think of a single one and unless you're my husband don't even try. I certainly wouldn't give anyone permission to do that to my child. It's not something that should ever be normalized and by giving my approval, it could send a dangerous or confusing message.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Yes. I'm fine with it. They're not being abused, they're under supervision, and they get to understand a bit of the experience.

Have you ever experienced anything like this?

Come on... you can tell us.

As someone who's actually been through some horrible crap because of my skin color, I'm deeply offended that anyone would even attempt to make a child feel what I felt as I went through it.

edit on 19-9-2017 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morningglory
WTH is this John Wayne Gacy High or what?

Maybe instead of lining kids up/taping their wrists teachers should show instructional videos on how to escape zip ties/duct tape. You know just in case someone kidnaps them to supply the present day sex slave industry. That's far more likely to impact kids today than black slavery of old. Just saying.

I can't think of a good reason for allowing anyone to bind my wrists. Can't think of a single one and unless you're my husband don't even try. I certainly wouldn't give anyone permission to do that to my child. It's not something that should ever be normalized and by giving my approval, it could send a dangerous or confusing message.

Excellent suggestion!

I also don't understand why parents would allow this. Teaching children to stand quietly and be restrained....just makes my skin crawl to think of it.

What next? Putting them in jail cells for a day to teach them about being a convict? I can't even begin to imagine my parents' reaction if one of us came home and told them we'd been treated this way.

edit on 19-9-2017 by diggindirt because: correction

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

The story said that there was a permission slip, but do we really believe this to be true. Who would sign this? In fact who wouldn't at least call and ream the principal's butt?

Something does not pass the smell test.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Aazadan

The same thing you are.

We're clearly basing our opinions on different criteria since we're getting opposite results.

The law seems like a grey area here, it doesn't fall under the laws of corporal punishment, and it was clearly in the context of it being educational.

These kids were never endangered during the activity so I don't see how it's wrong. As to the effectiveness, different teaching styles are a good thing, sometimes people only develop empathy through a similar experience. But even then... this wasn't a traumatic experience for the kids.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: diggindirt

The story said that there was a permission slip, but do we really believe this to be true. Who would sign this? In fact who wouldn't at least call and ream the principal's butt?

Something does not pass the smell test.

The newscasters in the OP said that an email was sent out and that one of the parents complained about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Are you a teacher? This sounds like the elitist BS that I dealt with with my kids when they were younger. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. The only difference here is that you can hide behind internet anonymity.

I'm not a teacher. I don't hide this opinion behind anonymity either. I've written several papers on the subject, and will talk to anyone about it. It applies to much more than just teaching kids. During the 2016 election, I expressed the same opinion towards voting. Members of the populace are unqualified to vote, we have a very low understanding of each subject, and therefore can't give an informed opinion on a representatives stances when we vote them into office. Therefore, none of us can say with any honesty that it's correct to vote for a candidate based on any set or specific policy.

The same is true of parenting. It's also true of running your own life.

You can make the best decisions you're able to make, and you can have the best of intentions while doing so, but you can still be lead to the wrong conclusion, and in all likelyhood you will be lead to the wrong conclusion the vast majority of the time.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this applies to me too. Thus, I can't be sure when I say that I don't see anything wrong with this classroom activity that there isn't anything wrong with it. I just haven't heard a compelling argument in that direction so far.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
But overall, allowing parents and individuals control over there own life is the best possible system, as anything else has extreme negative possibilities.

So even if a person may make a bad choice for themselves, it beats the alternative.

Is it? That creates a lot of failures and mistakes. It seems to me that the best possible system would promote only success. Then again, what is success if you can't compare and contrast it with the lack of success?

I remain unconvinced in either direction.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

my my....you are really off the rails my friend. If you think a scientist detached from familial bonds knows better than a parent who has created, nurtured, birthed and raised another human being 24 hours a day for years you might look into getting some common sense of your own.

But those bonds can also bias you by creating emotional attachment in the same way that people will often back up their friends who are in the wrong in an argument, just because the person is their friend.

You can only make an unbiased decision if you have no attachments to the situation.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Public schools can't handle redneck children anymore.

You might be a redneck if...
A policeman asks for your ID, and you answer, "About what?"
Your neighbor spits grass when he talks.
In the delivery room, your husband says, "That's worse than skinning a deer!"
You refer to your cousin as "my girlfriend".
You wake up the day after your wedding to find your sister next to you.
Your lips move while reading a stop sign.

Couldn't hep it.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
Who is most qualified to make "optimal" decisions for us if not us?

It depends on how you define optimal.

Do you base it on who has the most complete information? On statistics? What's your measurement? Happiness? Fewest negative outcomes? Outcomes you agree with? The highest monetary outcome?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Aazadan
What's the problem with this?

I'm seriously not understanding the outrage here.

You're OK with binding 13/14 year olds who have done nothing wrong, then?
SMH
The problem with this is, frankly, you and anyone who thinks like you on this sort of topic.

you're ok with preserving and idolize as heroes the statues of the people who wanted to keep these conditions alive and civil

erasing history and all that bullocks

Yes, yes I am. Inanimate objects commemorating history is not the same as tying a 13 year old's hands and walking them through a play acting session of a slave ship experience. As is usually the case, your perspective is sorely lacking.

As is yours.

"Commemorating" history, eh? Celebrating and showing respect for the South's treason?

Strange that so many of these monuments 'to history' appeared 50 years or more after the South lost. Why do you suppose that is?

E: Honestly, the most telling thing should be the sheer number of Confederate monuments compared to the relatively few number of Union monuments. Curiously, soldiers the same age as those 8th graders (and younger) during the Civil War could be found on the battlefield.
edit on 22Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:26:48 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago9 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Im failing to see how any Psychologist would find this even remotely appropriate to do to Children. This is yet another case of white guilt done in public schools. So that's what all the tax dollars are going towards. To further the dumbing down of Americas Children along with Common Core.
edit on 19-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join