It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: seasonal

Lightweights.

We had an actual Slave Day at my high school where the seniors, to help raise money, would be auctioned off to the under classmen to be their literal slaves for a day.

We did that for FFA... I pulled a Nat Turner and left 14 Freshmen seriously maimed.

link   
I bet the teachers stood out in the hall jawing or went to the teachers' lounge during the duration of this "re-enactment", making an appearance every now and then to yell at them.

This is the way some teachers teach now....put a damn movie on while they go bull**it out in the hallway or play on their phone.

Hahaha....while they watched the movie "Roots"...Yeah...edumacating your kids alright....the Hollyweird way. Sounds like a real "Bad Teacher" scenario.

link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: ScepticScot

Well hell, let's have the rape, torture, murder and degradation of slavery all under the watchful caring eye of a public school teacher. Lets go full boat, after all the only way to learn something is to be exposed. Right?

Only none of those things did happen at the school did they? Instead they had a very brief experience of what it's like to lose some freedom.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

No none of that did happen, and that means the students did not get a for real idea of what a slave went through.

The school 1/2 assed it.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I bet the teachers stood out in the hall jawing or went to the teachers' lounge during the duration of this "re-enactment", making an appearance every now and then to yell at them.

This is the way some teachers teach now....put a damn movie on while they go bull**it out in the hallway or play on their phone.

Hahaha....while they watched the movie "Roots"...Yeah...edumacating your kids alright....the Hollyweird way. Sounds like a real "Bad Teacher" scenario.

I'm cracking up about you focusing on the "lazy teacher with a video" trope as your main complaint with this.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I can't decide which this is. More stupid or sick.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

No none of that did happen, and that means the students did not get a for real idea of what a slave went through.

The school 1/2 assed it.

When I was at school I did a roleplay about the cold war

Didn't really need the ability to nuke Moscow to get the point.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Then they shouldn't have bound 8th graders hand, have them lay down on the floor in a dark room. If you think that is OK then we will agree to dis.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Aazadan
What's the problem with this?

I'm seriously not understanding the outrage here.

You're OK with binding 13/14 year olds who have done nothing wrong, then?
SMH
The problem with this is, frankly, you and anyone who thinks like you on this sort of topic.

Yes. I'm fine with it. They're not being abused, they're under supervision, and they get to understand a bit of the experience.

What's the problem?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
Mostly because it is binding children in a school.

There are other ways to drive home the atrocities of slavery. All this teaches children is that the slaves had fun role-playing while watching a movie.

The outrage isn't that it's ineffective. The outrage is that it's somehow abusive. I'm just not seeing that.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Perhaps its a lesson in empathy. Some people must learn that, it doesn't always come naturally, and not all kids are taught these things at home.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

What does the expierence solve? Slavery ended in the 1880's.

How about we get the US educational systems STEM scores above the country of Columbia's then the liberal wet dreams of showing some kids the horror of something no one alive lived through can be on the agenda.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

There are more controversial methods, believe me.

I used to go to religious classes in high school to escape math (didn't like math) and holy cannoli the videos that were shown should be rated R. We watched an African woman being stoned to death, that infamous test to prove how long a human brain can stay conscious after death-in a religion class?

It's safe to say the teacher was unconventional and there is no way that should have been curriculum. I don't mind an unconventional teacher which is why I like Brain Greene but sometimes borders are crossed, and this definitely crosses the border. Why not just say 'imagine being bound in a dark room...' and take it from there without the unneeded PTSD fuel.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
We did that for FFA... I pulled a Nat Turner and left 14 Freshmen seriously maimed.

I got bought by a cute sophomore. She wanted me to unchain Django.

My jazz albums, before you get any ideas.

edit on 19-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Mostly because it is binding children in a school.

There are other ways to drive home the atrocities of slavery. All this teaches children is that the slaves had fun role-playing while watching a movie.

The outrage isn't that it's ineffective. The outrage is that it's somehow abusive. I'm just not seeing that.

I see what you're saying. I think my distaste for this exercise it rooted in it just simply being a bad teaching method. Why not have an exercise showing what would have happened if slavery never existed and the people from Africa were simply immigrants like the rest of them?

The "outrage" only makes sense because most here won't dig deeper to see how benign this actually was. My outrage is just that it's dumb, lol.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

What does the expierence solve? Slavery ended in the 1880's.

How about we get the US educational systems STEM scores above the country of Columbia's then the liberal wet dreams of showing some kids the horror of something no one alive lived through can be on the agenda.

Like the holocaust, it's something we must never forget. Forgive? Yes, but forgiveness of this magnitude can take many generations. Sorry you might not like that. It's just a simple reality.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The slave ship captains are lucky this is as far as the mutiny has gone, so far.

link   
I would have used my white privilege to get out of this.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I'm cracking up about you focusing on the "lazy teacher with a video" trope as your main complaint with this.

You're right....but, I have seen this with my own two eyes on so many occasions. Teachers put a movie in, call it educational, then go out in the hallway and jaw with a fellow teacher.

I can just envision the teacher taping the pile of kids together so they can't leave, making them lie down, turning on the stupid movie "Roots" of all things, then head to the teachers' lounge or the hallway to BS for an hour or three.

link   
a reply to: Abysha

True. I've seen guided imagery used successfully in emotionally upsetting exercises. It's not for everybody, but there are certain situations where a person needs to completely *understand*.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join