It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: seasonal

Apparently Portland is unaware many Mexicans have white skin.

I thought the left wanted to celebrate diversity and part of that being one another's culture and food. I'm sure if the opposite happened, a white chef came out and said "I'm not cooking #ing burritos, I'll stick with French cuisine thank you very much" that they'd complain he's a racist for not cooking Mexican food.

Whitey stole everything theyve ever learned from some other culture.

Whitey is the most diverse race/culture in the world.

Yet, they want to rid the earth of whitey.

Cant win!!!
edit on 5659x6756America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
Hmmm if that's a good idea why stop there? Let's segregate other things by ethnicity.

Kindof like those black college students who were demanding black-only university spaces. The same people demanding diversity are the ones who hate it the most.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

CMON! Not so long ago I spitballed that SJW's crazy cultural appropriation BS followed to its logical climax would have white people 'not allowed' to cook and enjoy and share ethnic foods they've managed to learn how to make.

I even started writing a satire piece about it havent gotten around to posting.

My whole point was meant to be sarcastically enlightening, not actual real world policy.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This is the epitome of arrogance, self-righteousness, egotistical, spoiled, entitled narcism...

The same exact things they claim to be against, ironically.

Welcome to 2017.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Death threats wow.

Be culturally sensitive or we will kill you, NICE.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
Music and food are fair game to create and recreate for everybody.
I guess I can never make Jamaican jerk chicken,lasagne,tacos etc etc ever again.
No more playing Hendrix or Chuck Berry riffs on my guitar anymore.

These people either have no life or are just brain dead...or both.

If you find a site that has a link to the spreadsheet that shows which ethnic restaurants are owned and operated by whites instead of POCs, they come out and admit that it's not about cooking and enjoying the food in your own home. For them, it's all about how it's evil for white folks to profit from ethnic cuisines not their own.

So if you are white, you better not own and operate a restaurant that sells, say, Ethiopian food that competes with one owned and operated by Ethiopians because it oppresses the Ethiopians by taking away their power and profits to enhance your own.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I might look white but I actually identify as a Velociraptor. Yeah.

Checkmate regressives.

Now I'm free to start my dinosaur-themed burrito stand in Portland, Oregon.

May I frequent your establishment?

I'm biologically a man but the pronoun by which I demand to be addressed is "XXX Swinging Sausage".

I hope I'm welcomed with open arms.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you suggesting that what you write comes true?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

CMON! Not so long ago I spitballed that SJW's crazy cultural appropriation BS followed to its logical climax would have white people 'not allowed' to cook and enjoy and share ethnic foods they've managed to learn how to make.

I even started writing a satire piece about it havent gotten around to posting.

My whole point was meant to be sarcastically enlightening, not actual real world policy.

So... you are taking the blame?

That would be a first...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

AT least it's just Portland. Let the loonies self-segregate there and maybe they will leave the rest of us alone.

I think no matter what your political persuasion, we ought to all agree that good food is good food, and I would hope almost everyone agrees they really don't care who cooks it.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I lived in Portland for seven years!
fortunately, NOT that portland.
I visited once, though, for work- about four days.

In those four days, I experienced a bunch of loudmouth self centered idiots.

In an uncivilized world, almost each and every one of them would have been considered unfit to live in a human society, and dragged out behind the woodshed and shot in the head.

I briefly met one person in that trip I didn't wish that fate on- a homeless man, begging for change at 11pm.
I gave him the leftovers of my $150 dinner.
I hope he enjoyed it.
Back home, he'd have frozen to death at that hour.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutonomousMeatPuppet
It sounds like people were upset that the two ladies were bragging about stealing the tortilla recipe in Mexico when the local women wouldn't share it.

I don't believe they hurt those Mexicans though. If anything, they promote them.

That's what I read the other day. There is an ethics issue because the women were bragging on social media that they got these authentic recipes from women in Mexico by watching and cajoling the women as they were preparing the food items. The Mexican women were quite reluctant about giving out that information, but women from Portland got it anyway.

My takeaway from the article wasn't that the controversy wasnt over white women making authentic Mexican food, it was the manner in which they obtained the recipes, then stupidly decided to put that on Twitter or Instagram.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So how many different bartenders do we need to tend a bar? Irish whiskey, single malt scotch, rum, jack, its mind boggling

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Ok I'll stick to TEX-MEX

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's not just Portland. This ridiculous crap is popping up all over the country.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

That might explain the outrage over Kooks Burritos, but it does not explain the need to create an entire spreadsheet targetting all the eating establishments that sell ethnic food that are owned and/or operated by whites instead of "authentic" POC.

docs.google.com...=0

White people are nearly 50% more likely than people of color (POC) to own a business in the state of Oregon. Ownership builds wealth in ways that employment does not. The racial wealth and small business lending gaps in the US are pronounced, which allows white folks to open new businesses more easily. These white-owned businesses hamper the ability for POC to run successful businesses of their own (cooking their own cuisines) by either consuming market share with their attempt at authenticity or by modifying foods to market to white palates. Their success further perpetuates the problems stated above. It's a cyclical pattern that will require intentional behavior change to break.

See? It's a bad thing as a white person to own an ethnic restaurant.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986
I think no matter what your political persuasion, we ought to all agree that good food is good food, and I would hope almost everyone agrees they really don't care who cooks it.

Hey, there's a great place down the road where these black girls sell some awesome Italian subs. Maybe I'll go protest in front of it so they stop culturally appropriating. I'm almost tempted to go stand in front of it with a sign and cite the Portland protesters as inspiration when the media shows up to blast me for being racist.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Well that's not exactly what I meant here, but if you want to really beg the question, the first piece I ever posted In my original IIB blog, was my way out of no where hunch that Google in their recently announced partnership with NASA< that they were hell bent on building a de facto "Skynet". This was way out in front of anybody else. And damnit was I right.

I really need to wrap up my work covering all the angles of 'state of the art' left/right insanity, and get back to focusing on my unraveling of the systems of technological totalitarianism work. But the SJW's alone are such a broad subject of never ending new materials they're just the ultimate distraction (which immediately upon realizing their spiel in the big picture one year ago it was inherent to me their socially engineered role was to be the ultimate distraction from the masses all wising up to what the technocrat's are working up against humanity).

portal 1 portal 2 portal 3
edit on 29-5-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Mexican is not a race.

There are a larger percentage of white mexicans than the percentage of black americans.

Take Pati Jinich, who has a mexican cooking show on PBS. Not only that,Jinich is the resident chef at the Mexican Cultural Institute in Washington, DC.

Her grandparents were part of a community of WWII jewish refugees that moved to Mexico to escape the nazis.

Does she have to quit cooking mexican food now?

Will PC PBS cancel her show now?

edit on 29-5-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Oh FFS..idk what to say even.Why don't these racist assholes and self loathing white sjw's just admit they would love to see all whites dead or banished from society like the leper colonies of the past? I can see a time in the future when it's going to be a crime to be white,propably punishable with steep yearly taxes,and a forced moratorium on whites procreating..

Did it not start off that way in Nazi Germany? Jews being blamed for everything,being reviled,being hated.And we all know how that ended.

As Stefan Molyneux said,whites are very nice,until they're not.I foresee a brutal backlash sometime in the future if things carry on like this.Seems there's gonna come a time when whites are going to have to fight for their right to exist.

Feel free to call my post hyperbole or whinging.I have seen where this type of constant hate mongering against and constant villification of a group of people can lead.We all have.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join