It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Just to confuse things we have an Italian restaurant that sells what they call Pizza Monkey - it has banana on it.

How confusing and wrong is that!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Dang and I can't remember a Scottish cook at a Mc Donald's,how rediculous how does this even get any press,has the world gone to hell

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I hate to say it but the two best burritos I've ever had came from white guys in a food truck and also White owned business from CA that made its way to NYC. Tacos and other dishes on the other hand, are another matter and had some of the best from Mexicans, but also some good ones from white establishments. Anyway who cares who owns the restaurant.. its a ridiculous idea.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Ok in a nut shell, if you are not of the culture the food that you are cooking (a chef), then STOP.
You are stealing from said culture.

Ok so if you are an Italian chef cooking pasta then you better stop because you are not from China.
edit on 30-5-2017 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
These people complaining are correct. They should do the right thing and stop eating now.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Oh FFS this whole cultural appropriation is beyond ridiculous.

Next they'll call out people who EAT the foods of other cultures.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

How to bring a nation and a superpower, not with, wars or attacks, but from within, invade, propagate and decimate, US laws that have protected the American people for decades are now to be used to destroy our nation.

The morons and stupid people are taking over and ruling by force.

Who give a crap at whom is selling food or making it as long as the food takes good.

The vocal minority needs to be confronted once and for all by the silent majority and get them to shut the heck off.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

ok so should all these chefs who claim white people are stealing their culture , should they stop using the equipment designed and engineered by white people to cook and prepare the food in modern society like electric or gas ovens, blenders, microwaves

no well then you see how stupid this idea is !

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I see them using Igloo coolers to store their tamales while they sit outside stores selling them.

No cooler for you...

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Scotland owns everything deep fried !
accept maybe chicken i think we were beat to the punch on that one

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

exactly how stupid are these people !

this has to be the dumbest arguement ive ever heard , its on par with flat earth

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

No kidding.

Heck, I might even give the flat earth people a slight break over these people...

Anyway, how about a rule that states "No complaining about society until you have actually accomplished something that helps society". That should shut down most of these people.

Even having a job for a year or two might count toward it.

edit on 5/30/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

yeh no complaining about social justice when there exists, world hunger and poverty

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Maybe it's not "through no fault of your own." Maybe it's because they just aren't that good at it. Or maybe it's because the food they're cooking doesn't synch to the pallets of the locals.

Food, in the end, is subjective. It's about taste, and if your food does not taste as good as someone else's, then you will not win a cooking contest.

Your knee jerk is to assume that everyone thinks you can't be cooking good enough because you're brown and not white which is it's type of built in prejudice.

I like food that I like. I don't care who cooked it. If the food isn't as good to me, then I won't vote for it (or patronize that restaurant), but to attempt to eliminate entire establishments only because they are owned by the wrong people is pure fascism.

Why not just openly compare whites to Jews this time?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

One enterprising person has created a "black list" of restaurants to not visit because the people who own the restaurant are white ( I assume) and gives a suggestion of an alternate restaurant owned by a person of color. Cool huh?

Oh the irony of a SJW Foodie using a "Black-List" to go after those darn Racist Chefs. It probably goes right over their heads.
edit on 30-5-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
I hate to say it but the two best burritos I've ever had came from white guys in a food truck and also White owned business from CA that made its way to NYC. Tacos and other dishes on the other hand, are another matter and had some of the best from Mexicans, but also some good ones from white establishments. Anyway who cares who owns the restaurant.. its a ridiculous idea.

Some of the best tacos you can get in this area are from a Mexican crew who set up once a week in a German butcher shop. Who's culturally appropriating whom in that exchange?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Only Aussies know how to bbq - hehehe

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

How to bring a nation and a superpower, not with, wars or attacks, but from within, invade, propagate and decimate, US laws that have protected the American people for decades are now to be used to destroy our nation.

Repeated for truthfulness

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: Cheddarhead

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Cheddarhead

That might explain the outrage over Kooks Burritos, but it does not explain the need to create an entire spreadsheet targetting all the eating establishments that sell ethnic food that are owned and/or operated by whites instead of "authentic" POC.

docs.google.com...=0

White people are nearly 50% more likely than people of color (POC) to own a business in the state of Oregon. Ownership builds wealth in ways that employment does not. The racial wealth and small business lending gaps in the US are pronounced, which allows white folks to open new businesses more easily. These white-owned businesses hamper the ability for POC to run successful businesses of their own (cooking their own cuisines) by either consuming market share with their attempt at authenticity or by modifying foods to market to white palates. Their success further perpetuates the problems stated above. It's a cyclical pattern that will require intentional behavior change to break.

See? It's a bad thing as a white person to own an ethnic restaurant.

Your post was an eye opener.

Without being facetious, just what type of cuisine are Caucasians allowed to prepare without fear of blow back? Can a white American prepare another white culture's food, such as Irish? Or isnt that allowed either, anymore? We seem to be putting people into tinier and tinier boxes at every turn.

Nope. We are stuck with Bisquik, and hot-dogs... that's pretty much it...

I usually reflect and write more, but in this case all I can say is Mmmmmmmmm...pigs in a blanket! (for you SJWs, I'm referring to a food item, not one of your ridiculous cause chants).

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

be carefull what you " predict " - this " appropriations " idiocy has already atttacked [ sometimes literally ] people for wearing cloths and adopting hairstyles that are alledgedly the " cultural property " of an ethic group

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join