It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

Portland Burrito Cart Closes After Owners Are Accused Of Cultural Appropriation
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

No one better even try to explain the concept of Rick Bayless to these people.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead

originally posted by: AutonomousMeatPuppet
It sounds like people were upset that the two ladies were bragging about stealing the tortilla recipe in Mexico when the local women wouldn't share it.

I don't believe they hurt those Mexicans though. If anything, they promote them.

That's what I read the other day. There is an ethics issue because the women were bragging on social media that they got these authentic recipes from women in Mexico by watching and cajoling the women as they were preparing the food items. The Mexican women were quite reluctant about giving out that information, but women from Portland got it anyway.

My takeaway from the article wasn't that the controversy wasnt over white women making authentic Mexican food, it was the manner in which they obtained the recipes, then stupidly decided to put that on Twitter or Instagram.

If it was just about those women, then why the list of all white owned businesses to avoid?

And how about the author agonizing over the dominated world by white males, and making it clear that although he is a white male, he is cool with minorities (liberal whites can't help but appropriating minority causes to boost their liberal cred).

And yes, those horrible white women who were "shamed into shutting down their pop-up burrito cart" because they said they picked the brain of authentic Mexican women. What a horrible crime! I mean, we wouldn't want cultures learning from other cultures to improve themselves would we.

I can't wait for all of the protests of non white people learning at universities that were traditionally anglo saxon! How dare they learn from white cultures!

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So Tex-Mex is like a major faux paux now especially since I am from neither Texas or Mexico.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
So Tex-Mex is like a major faux paux now especially since I am from neither Texas or Mexico.

Shhh, no one say anything, but I've got illicit appropriated homemade carnitas in my fridge.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
So then non white chefs shouldn't be able to use refrigerators?
Or does race only count while inventing something with food?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Portland Burrito Cart Closes After Owners Are Accused Of Cultural Appropriation
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Aren't liberals just great for small business. Really helping out the working man.

These idiots can't see anything beyond their idiotic emotions. Ruined this business over a bunch of nonsense.
edit on 29-5-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Are these minorities culturally appropriateing the internet!!??!!?? The nerve!

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That slope is slippery, but you are being racist if you think that.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What a bunch of BS. I make my living cooking for others. There's very little cuisine out there that comes from one, specific culture. Everyone borrows from everyone else. It's like language like that. It's always evolving.
In other news, nothing will ever come of this anyways, so there is that.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That might explain the outrage over Kooks Burritos, but it does not explain the need to create an entire spreadsheet targetting all the eating establishments that sell ethnic food that are owned and/or operated by whites instead of "authentic" POC.

docs.google.com...=0

White people are nearly 50% more likely than people of color (POC) to own a business in the state of Oregon. Ownership builds wealth in ways that employment does not. The racial wealth and small business lending gaps in the US are pronounced, which allows white folks to open new businesses more easily. These white-owned businesses hamper the ability for POC to run successful businesses of their own (cooking their own cuisines) by either consuming market share with their attempt at authenticity or by modifying foods to market to white palates. Their success further perpetuates the problems stated above. It's a cyclical pattern that will require intentional behavior change to break.

See? It's a bad thing as a white person to own an ethnic restaurant.

Your post was an eye opener.

Without being facetious, just what type of cuisine are Caucasians allowed to prepare without fear of blow back? Can a white American prepare another white culture's food, such as Irish? Or isnt that allowed either, anymore? We seem to be putting people into tinier and tinier boxes at every turn.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JJRichey

I think you are wrong and the SJW's are correct.

It is A-OK to attach Burritos to Mexican people----right?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So I read that garbage article and I notice two things.

One, no comments.

Two, an ad at the bottom for 21 foods Mexico has given us. So white people making burritos is racist and they run an ad promoting all the Mexican foods white people enjoy at the bottom of that article.

Beyond stupid.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead

originally posted by: ketsuko

That might explain the outrage over Kooks Burritos, but it does not explain the need to create an entire spreadsheet targetting all the eating establishments that sell ethnic food that are owned and/or operated by whites instead of "authentic" POC.

docs.google.com...=0

White people are nearly 50% more likely than people of color (POC) to own a business in the state of Oregon. Ownership builds wealth in ways that employment does not. The racial wealth and small business lending gaps in the US are pronounced, which allows white folks to open new businesses more easily. These white-owned businesses hamper the ability for POC to run successful businesses of their own (cooking their own cuisines) by either consuming market share with their attempt at authenticity or by modifying foods to market to white palates. Their success further perpetuates the problems stated above. It's a cyclical pattern that will require intentional behavior change to break.

See? It's a bad thing as a white person to own an ethnic restaurant.

Your post was an eye opener.

Without being facetious, just what type of cuisine are Caucasians allowed to prepare without fear of blow back? Can a white American prepare another white culture's food, such as Irish? Or isnt that allowed either, anymore? We seem to be putting people into tinier and tinier boxes at every turn.

Nope. We are stuck with Bisquik, and hot-dogs... that's pretty much it...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I really hate the invisible lines that man creates.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Once ate at a small family owned restaurant once where they were kind enough to take the eyeballs out of the soup before serving it to my poor stupid little white butt. That's being culturally considerate. It was absolutely wonderful soup though and I'm glad they were nice enough to omit the "seasonings". I guess they liked me or something. Some cultures will give the guest of honor the whole goat head as a treat if you order the enough of the soup for the whole family, but I don't think the Suburban Soccer Mom on the Gluten Free Diet would want to get vomit on her brand new LuLu Lemons.

America.
Gotta love it.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

There are 250 comments.
Here are some

Darby Chid
10:20 PM EST
I live in Los Angeles where white Americans of European descent are now an 'oppressed & marginalized' minority. We are and faced with horrible cultural appropriation by the Hispanic majority population on a daily basis.

All over the city you see Hispanics selling hot dogs off of carts. Most of the hamburger places employ predominantly Hispanic people and as an Italian American I'm particularly offended & traumatized by all the non-Italian Latinos working in almost every pizza place.

Who can I call to report this injustice? I called LAPD and asked for the Cultural Appropriation Dept; they hung up on me. Racists!
LikeReplyShare
alakshak
9:45 PM EST [Edited]
I think a Vietnames restaurant there was selling some Thai food.
Call the law!
Demand birth certificates all around!
LikeReplyShare
alakshak
9:43 PM EST
Sheeeesh.
And here I thought equality meant that anyone was free to start a business, and anyone was free to make the choice to do trade with it.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
LikeReplyShare
Sneeral
9:10 PM EST [Edited]
When I was in college in the 1970s I had a truly magnificent Afro. I guess somewhat later it would be called a Jewfro. But it was like my lions mane and I got compliments from white and black students.
I wasn't "appropriating" anything. I just let my hair grow long and do what it did naturally.

I see these idiots talking about cultural appropriation today and I feel nothing but contempt for these pathetic bigots.

I guess we'd better replace 80% of the athletes in the NBA because basketball was invented by James Naismith, a white man.
LikeReplyShare
mocommonsense
9:03 PM EST
The article was sheer lunacy, but the comments section gives me hope. If even WaPo readers are starting to see the lunacy of the SJW/PC crowd, then there's a chance that America can come to its senses.
LikeReplyShare
lpberkoff
8:58 PM EST
Surely you jest! What stops anyone from selling any food made anywhere in the world. Whinnnnnnnn
LikeReplyShare
ZZammit
8:48 PM EST
So should we kick that Japanese guy out of NASCAR for appropriating redneck culture and profiting off of it?

Seems fair.
LikeReplyShare
cjbarrett1
7:53 PM EST
Complicated? Monsanto? Man is that a stretch.
Nonsense. Total nonsense.
Leave the women alone.
LikeReplyShare
jmburca
7:52 PM EST
Wow, keep it up WaPo ithbthe posting of one of the more embarrassing columns I've ever read..., but, the it's from Tim Carman who's made his reputation as a self-loathing jerk, who seeks to briing everyone down to his depths of stupidity.

This whole appropriation trend as a apology for white guilt is nothing more than self-flagilation by hypocrite liberals seeking to futher ennamor themselves in the latest trends.

Or, is losers like Tim Carmen attcaking successsful people becaus he is a loser and has to somehow compensate for his lack success or having a penis...figure that?
LikeReplyShare
DeeJay Gude
7:49 PM EST
Talk about twisting yourself into a (gluten-free locally sourced organic) pretzel trying to be politically correct and failing miserably. This was one of the more tortured pieces I've read on this subject, and that's saying something. I tend to believe that white people who jump on this bandwagon are the real racists. "Look at me! See me liking the dark people? See me not being a racist?? Wanna see pics of my dark skinned friends?" Good grief.
LikeReplyShare
WWWYYY
7:28 PM EST
I think this is a complicated debate, with extremes on both sides. But is it any more crazy than Monsanto saying that they can patent and own the rights to living organisms so they can sue farmers who through no fault of their own end up with Monsanto DNA in their crops because of cross-pollination? Yet it is legal for Monsanto to lay claim to the very stuff of life. I don't think Monsanto should be able to do that, just like I believe that foods and other aspects of culture have always spread and mixed as groups of people mix together. Just like DNA it is part of social life. Still when you denigrate or subjugate the culture that you are borrowing from, like we seem to be doing in this nation with many immigrants that is not okay.
LikeReplyShare
jmburca
7:53 PM EST
No, it's not complicated at all...it's idiocy to highest level and a deep sickness among self loathing liberals...like you.
LikeReply
lpberkoff
9:00 PM EST
It ain't not nuttin to do with liberals. You must me really weak and silly...
Julian Lippi
7:08 PM EST
This is getting crazy. Should non-English speakers culturally appropriate speaking English? And what about all those Latinos playing baseball? And what should happen with all those skin whitening lotions and potions??? And no one has raised the issue of whether people should eat cross culturally. So Mexican food for Mexicans. Pies for white folk. You get the idea.
LikeReplyShare
aloysius1
6:57 PM EST
Mexicans should not sell flour tortillas. They were an invention of Sephardic Jews who needed unleavened bread and we concerned about corn tortillas.
LikeReplyShare
Jake44106
6:01 PM EST
So, Christians shouldn't sell bagels or bialys; Jew, pizza or gelato; etc, etc?
LikeReplyShare
dj-MD
5:59 PM EST
I'm sorry; this is simply not an issue. It's part of the massively over-the-top surge of PC "thinking" (really just knee-jerk reactions). No one is taking anyone's culture from them. Their cultures still exist. And, if the people whose brains are picked want to open a food stand, they should. I don't particularly care what culture or color my chef is; I care if his/her food is good. What the well-intentioned scolds of Portland did is to take away the living of these women and rob Portlanders of some good food.
LikeReplyShare
More
Most Read

George Takei shuts down racist criticism of new ‘Star Trek’ series
Perspective Carolyn Hax: A mother with active little ones wants to know when it gets better
Perspective Gregg Allman’s Southern rock odyssey spanned worlds within worlds
Can a faded fashion house reclaim its 1970s glory? Inside the effort to save Anne Klein.
Review Shonda Rhimes plus Shakespeare? It’s a no-brainer.

subscribe
The story must be told.
Subscribe to The Washington Post.
Subscribe

Recipes newsletter

Weekly recipes and more from our Food team.
Our Online Games

Play right from this page
Mahjongg Dimensions
Strategy game
Mahjongg Candy
Strategy game
Word Wipe
Word game

washingtonpost.com
© 1996-2017 The Washington Post

Help and Contact Us
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Print Products Terms of Sale
Digital Products Terms of Sale
Submissions and Discussion Policy
RSS Terms of Service
Ad Choices

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

How about lines created by SJW's who need to take a shower, have skinny jeans on and wear huge black rimmed glasses.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Well you gotta draw the line somewhere....lol

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Ha, perhaps. I find it funny that 90% of "Authentic Mexican Cuisine" sold by actual Mexicans in US-based restaurants wasn't created, in Mexico. And the stuff that was, was created in the early to mid 20th century. Even the Churro, what many people think of as a traditional Mexican treat, has it's roots in China. I guess all the Mexicans better stops making them (/sarcasm).

In all honestly, this is pretty insane and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join