It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Bluntone22

How about lines created by SJW's who need to take a shower, have skinny jeans on and wear huge black rimmed glasses.

But Hipsters love, and others too nationally, being pretty popular, love Voodoo Doughnut! How is this going to work?!

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JJRichey

Me too.

If this is the biggest problem in Portland then these idiots got it soft.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Is it possible to dumb yourself to death? Because I think the SJW movement is doing just that..

The good news is they increasingly grow dumber by the day.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Bluntone22

How about lines created by SJW's who need to take a shower, have skinny jeans on and wear huge black rimmed glasses.

But Hipsters love, and others too nationally, being pretty popular, love Voodoo Doughnut! How is this going to work?!

The logical extension of all of this SJW nonsense is that inevitably they devour one another. The highest virtue one can achieve in their world is victimhood.

So when a person or group parlays their victimhood into power, it leads to them creating other victims, and so on over and over again.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Social Cannibalism.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I live in the Austin area. Not quite as bad as Portland, but I have plans to move. It gets pretty damned stupid here sometimes. And the overall culture has taken a big nosedive. I was ok with the old kind of liberalism and kookiness that was Austin. I cant stomach this new sjw bs though. Most of it arrived from non texas places and infected the local culture like a virus.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Social Marxism. It doesn't have to make sense, it is simply the antithesis of freedom.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You ain't gonna get real authentico tacos unless you're friends with the right Mexicans.
Seriously...you have to earn that honour.
Querida Abuela suffers no fools.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Eveyone is seeking self segregation

No, not everyone. Not most people. Not a majority of people. Not even a substantial percentage of people in a given race/ethnic group.

What is happening is that some deluded folks have the idea that harping on "cultural appropriation" is going to somehow lead to socioeconomic equality. The concept isn't that difficult to understand and if you can stop your knee jerk reflex, you can probably even appreciate the underlying premise.

It boils down to inequity between groups in a society and the way the group with the most power takes what it wants from the groups with less. Think of at a different scale.

Imagine you've been trying to get into a cooking contest but you keep getting denied entry through no fault of your own. That's bad enough but making it that much worse, the people who are getting into the contest are all using your recipes.

Simple.

The problem is that the reflex from members of the majority is simply to be offended. Because human psychology. Perhaps more importantly, "cultural appropriation" isn't really the issue — it's just a symptom. In other words:

Inequality is not the result of cultural appropriation — cultural appropriation is the result of inequality.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This really reminds me of the SoJu groups blowing a gasket over Jared Leto playing a tranny in "Dallas Buyers Club".
Leto is an amazingly talented guy, and the outrage made my head hurt.
If you want to say only GLBT can play those parts in a movie, then get ready for turn about fair play! I think Neil Patrick Harris would side with me on this one. He is gay, but has made a fortune pretending (acting) to be a straight guy.
Be careful what you wish for, cuz you just might get it!!

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

edit on 29-5-2017 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: seasonal
Houston, we have a problem

The aliens are fattening the Earthings.
Bucket of Humans...199.95!

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
If there's ever a great time to borrow that fabulous line of Betty White's from Lake Placid, it's for stupid people barking up this particular tree.

It's food, you idiots. Literally ANYONE can do it. Like a hair style, ANYONE can don a 'do of any origin & rock it, and the same goes double for cooking.

Allow me, as inept as I am in the kitchen, to share one of my favorite "appropriated recipes", because it's damn good & gives our pasta meals an oomph:

Algerian Kefta, the meatball you didn't know you needed.

I don't care who TF makes it, if you've got it, I'm buying. Algerian meatballs are awesome. If that makes a SJW mad, they can go sit in the corner with a plate of Useless Life Pie and cry over it for all I care.
edit on 5/29/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Really frikkin' hilarious. The disconnect with these SJW's is over the top.

There is not a single, solitary culture out there that has not undergone great evolution and change by building on the cultures of others. It's how we advance as people. It's how ideas, music, crafts and history are passed down over time.

If people stop building on the things around them, then culture stagnates and stops advancing.

Surely these mental giants picked up this information in their liberal arts/social studies classes they so love at their chosen institutes of study? I mean, honestly. They teach the basics of this stuff all the way back in Elementary school.

This BS segregation nonsense is doing nothing but building us up for an eventual new civil war. Is that *really* what these whackos want? I don't want that. I don't want any of this garbage. What a mess this country is in.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

*Applause*

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It's common throughout the culinary industry for chefs to learn from chefs in other countries and cultures, and to reflect what they learned with the communities they set up their restaurants. What isn't common is the outrage over it.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I saw this article the other week on the BBC:-

www.google.co.uk...

Seriously people offended by a pair of chopsticks sticking out, lucky they didn't serve it in a Spode Bone China dish.

I've grown up on a diet of TV chefs travelling the world exploring and presenting cuisines as they find it. Keith Floyd was one of the pioneers (albeit a bit of a tool) but inspired others such as my personal favourite Rick Stein. The man is a genius and provides a blend of history, culture and cooking.

What about Ken Hom - his recipe for Thai chicken noodle soup is one of my all time faves. But he's not Thai and made money out of my buying his cook book. The dastardly swine.

Food culture has changed beyond all recognition here in the U.K. over the last 25 years. The problem is it can be tricky to find some of the more exotic (Sorry culturally appropriate) ingredients. As such you have to leave out or substitute ingredients - hence interpretation. Big deal.

Whilst certain foods are identified with certain cultures they are not always unique and have subtle variations. Take noodles for example, ramen, udon, soba, Chinese egg, glass etc. All regionally specific but in a world where I can pretty much only get crappy Sharwoods medium egg noodles what am I going to do?

The issue in Portland seems crazy, it's a pop up burrito stall not a Michelin starred restaurant!

At least it's not a Chanel Boomerang

www.chanel.com...#

edit on 30-5-2017 by DrBobH because: Link fixed

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
a reply to: DBCowboy

I live in the Austin area. Not quite as bad as Portland, but I have plans to move. It gets pretty damned stupid here sometimes. And the overall culture has taken a big nosedive. I was ok with the old kind of liberalism and kookiness that was Austin. I cant stomach
this new sjw bs though. Most of it arrived from non texas places and infected the local culture like a virus.

Yeah I tend to gravitate towards hip communities. I love the food culture art and music I have lived in a few cities with a happening scene but this new generation of SJWs are like a plague.........skrew them.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

LOL - looks like the Chinese can now call out the rest of the planet too for selling Chinese food when one is not Chinese.

Also, who owns the apple and banana? I just want to know what limits are being placed on the Nazi-whiteys?

Also, who owns BBQ?

ALL
VERY
IMPORTANT
QUESTIONS.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Obviously the Aussies own BBQ and we Brits own Granny Smith apples & Cox's as for bananas I'm guessing Jamaicans
The French own garlic the Greeks Olives the Italians Lemons & Pasta and the Germans can keep their Sauerkraut lol
edit on 30-5-2017 by PhyllidaDavenport because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join