It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Chancellor Merkel Warns; US & Britain no longer reliable partners

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I guess sensationalized news is catchy and like a disease is spreading from the US to other countries.

I can not wait to hear the fake leaks from all other countries around.

Because that seems to be the new trend this days, to undermine rightfully elected officials.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Because that seems to be the new trend this days, to undermine rightfully elected officials.

Nothing new about it.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

A misunderstanding according to Juncker, Trump said they're very bad on trade.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

This from the Chancellor of a country who is failing to meet its NATO obligations and whose military is running out of ammunition.

originally posted by: earthling42

A misunderstanding according to Juncker, Trump said they're very bad on trade.

Imagine that...
edit on 28-5-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: Groot
Dear god the arrogance and ignorance is outstanding, when the # has American done anything for Europe that wasn't to benefit itself?

Um, Guess we should have sat at home in twiddled our thumbs in WW II ?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Good. This is why I voted for Trump.

I don't want to surrender my country to the whims of an East German Communist Scum Queen.
edit on 28-5-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

This from the Chancellor of a country who is failing to meet its NATO obligations and whose military is running out of ammunition.

Not quite, In 2024 the budget for national defence should be at 2 percent of the GDP, so all members of NATO who are below that have about 6 years to raise their defence budget.
Hence, there is no question of failing NATO obligations.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

Except for the fact the 2% is built into the NATO charter. They should have been at 2% the entire time and not 7 years from now.

So I say again - This from the Chancellor of a country who is failing to meet its NATO obligations and whose military is running out of ammunition.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Just as suspected, it looks like Donald Trumps action.. or inaction on the Paris deal is rubbing foreign leaders the wrong way.

OH NO!
Globalist leaders who are part of the reason Trump got elected aren't fond of what he said he's gonna do ever since he started campaigning??? -WHAT A SHOCKER!

To hell with Merkel and the rest of her pack. They are 'leaders' like a shepherd leading a bunch of sheep into slaughter is a 'leader' too.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

The % GDP currently stands at 1.2 % approx €40 bn and will rise to 2 % approx €60 bn by 2024. If they keep paying 1.2 % until 2024 that's a shortfall of €140 bn - if phased it'll still be €70 bn. That's quite a lot of additional money to spend on defence.

If only they had 1.5 million unemployed young men of fighting age they could train and arm......

Actually maybe that's not the best idea....

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
So who are the good Europeans?

Germany who has started two world wars. Has been the only significant beneficiary of the Euro, the central bank of which is based in Germany. Germany is also reliant on everyone else to defend - well specifically the US and the UK.

Merkel is setting the scene for a German dominated EU. Pity the French seem to have accepted that.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
You know our military bases are a cold war hold over, maybe it is time to look for a new stop over point. (cause lets be honest till we stop dicking around in the ME we need something in Europe hospitals, logistics etc)

Wonder if we can close at least the non-medical ones and move the logistics and the military assets to some of the smaller nations that could use the economic boost.

Lashing out this weekend is not the best idea... kind of a faux pas to take swipes at the US on the weekend that many Americans are pausing to reflect on those that never came home from war.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Trump took a harsh stance with his European allies, but went down on his knees with Middle East leaders, countries that were involved with 9/11... unbelievable that people don't see that.

originally posted by: Willtell
Merkel aside, the best thing about NATO, and its not much good, is that at least it kept the Europeans from still having internal wars. Before NATO and the UN there was a war in Europe every few years going back centuries.

Nope, Nato had nothing to do with making Europe a peaceful place, it was the Schuman declaration that finally made Europe the peaceful place it is now. The Schuman declaration was the beginning of what we now call The European Union.

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Except for the fact the 2% is built into the NATO charter. They should have been at 2% the entire time and not 7 years from now.

Wrong, all countries have until 2024 to increase their military spending by 2% of their own GDP, which means Germany will actually pay more than other countries. NATO 2014 Summit Declaration.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Then maybe they should pay what they owe NATO/US.

LOL please read the Nato Declaration of 2014 linked above, nobody owns money to Nato, Nato is not a country club, I can’t believe people don’t understand something so simple. And definitely nobody owes money to the US, seeing as the US is the only country who has benefitted from Article V… yep, the only country.

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I mean.. then there's the fact that Germany has the highest GDP in Europe... But that's non of my business

And fastest growing economy in Europe. But all EU countries have been doing really well since 2016.

originally posted by: MysticPearl
It's somehow bad that Germany should take responsibility for their own downfall? Or is the assumption Germany can just flood their borders with whomever and the US picks up the tab?

The US picks up the tab? How? Please expand on that and back it up, because the US is not picking up tabs for anybody.

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Time to close our European military bases. Especially the ones in Germany!!! Exorbitant military base rents from the US allows the German people to have free healthcare! They are not even our allies! Time to bring the troops home!!! AMERICA FIRST!!!

Good, and while you are at it close the American military bases in Central and South America, local people are fed up of gringos increasing their military presence seeing it does not benefit them at all.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

What military bases in Central and South America?

Honest curiosity... never seen a posting listed for those land masses, after nearly 20 years of looking for places to put in for orders to.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Ms. Merkel, america can't be relied upon anymore to take care of its children, elderly, and war veterans. We are broken and the GOP has just got started. They have to find mo money for bigly tax cuts. Wish y'all luck tho.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Germany who has started two world wars. Has been the only significant beneficiary of the Euro, the central bank of which is based in Germany.

Beneficiary? Sorry to say it that harsh, are you out of your mind, do you have any clue except for what you read? Do you live here? Our buying power compared to Deutsche Mark and Euro was reduced over 50% since 2001 and you dare to say we benefit? We´re the economic motor of the EU, we make stuff and excell at it. That´s why we stay on top.

Germany is also reliant on everyone else to defend - well specifically the US and the UK.

It´s not only because of bad military decissions, it´s also because we are not allowed. Reliant? The US has so many bases in Germany and nukes stored here we are #ed if nukes ever fly because we are a prime target. We´re not even souvereign when you take a closer look. I´m not excusing Merkel, she´s the worst, and not only since the refugee crysis.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Time to close our European military bases. Especially the ones in Germany!!! Exorbitant military base rents from the US allows the German people to have free healthcare!

!STOP!

That´s so wrong and backwards. Rent for bases? It´s exactly the other way round, we pay for your bases, your infrastructure. Bring some evidence and don´t spout ignorant lies.

Here is my evidence, it´s a german source and it´s not a #ty paper. Translate it yourself.
www.sueddeutsche.de...

We pay millions to the US military!
598 million € alone were used in the last ten years for the US military and it´s only one Position, there are many others.
dip21.bundestag.de...=2

My god

edit on 29-5-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Beneficiary? Sorry to say it that harsh, are you out of your mind, do you have any clue except for what you read? Do you live here?

Well, I did spend six years in Germany and am European. The Euro has benefited Germany because it has reduced its relative labour costs, thus helped exports. This is why compared to most other countries who use the Euro, Germany has continued to benefit, while the rest have stagnated.

On Germany paying for its defence. Germany has been a free-rider and spends a derisory sum on defence as a proportion of GDP, and nowhere near the 2% NATO target level.

If Merkel wants to lead a German EU without "unreliable" friends like the US and UK, then that's fine. These unreliable friends will doubtlessly have to save you again when you f**K it all up.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Germans hove found their feet again. Let them have their zone and UK can concentrat on trade instead of defending them from Moscow. Let Russia have free reign without uk money wasted on defending the square hgeads and their subordinates in their eco zone. Germans feeling their feet again now old generation passed on, maybe let them fight it out with zrussia and we rebuild it again later, lots of jobs for our tradesman like 1990s 😊

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join