It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe should have never discarded its Christian identity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I think my point is made. Everything Christianity did is evil.

Again no mention nor acknowledgment of the good. What about abolitionism? What about the Magna Carta? What about the art and culture? What about human rights? What about the civil rights movement? What about science? The laws, the principles, the politics, and the values we adhere to in the west were made mostly from the minds that held the Christian worldview, and this is true well into the 20th century and beyond. Look at all the nobel laureates, the writers, the composers, the polymaths, the philosophers of the enlightenment—most adhered to the Christian worldview and the values it prescribed.

What do the anti-christians have? Soviet Russia? Maoism? North Korea? Nazism?

Mostly it was the advance in technology, mercantilism and industrialization that spurred colonialism and imperialism, with only a few arguing for the aim of civilizing the rest of the world with Christianity.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Nobody is denying that they did good things. Muslims did do good things as well. Nothing to do with people themselves.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Nobody is denying that they did good things. Muslims did do good things as well. Nothing to do with people themselves.

But no one will talk about them. No one will defend the roots of their own culture. They'll just dismiss them, and wish for their demise.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

You mean the demise of Christianity and Islam? I hope so. Otherwise it seems that you are accusing us of wanting the demise of religious people.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

You mean the demise of Christianity and Islam? I hope so. Otherwise it seems that you are accusing us of wanting the demise of religious people.

I'm speaking of the roots of western culture. Of course you'll hope so, and this thread attests to that.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Hang on a minute.

America CELEBRATES getting away from their roots. It's called Independence Day.

Countries move on from what was to what is and then what will be. I don't see how that's any different from getting away from their religious roots.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

LOL you are too literal. The "I hope so" was in reference to the first sentence. As in I hope you are not accusing us of wanting the demise of religious people. And no I do not want to dismiss the roots and history. The point is people keep ignoring the "bad" parts of Christianity. And I hope that people will shake off Christianity and Islam. Do we dismiss the history and roots of gods in ancient Rome and Greece? No.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Hang on a minute.

Countries move on from what was to what is and then what will be. I don't see how that's any different from getting away from their religious roots.

That's quite a reductionist view of American independence. It's completely different.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

LOL you are too literal. The "I hope so" was in reference to the first sentence. As in I hope you are not accusing us of wanting the demise of religious people. And no I do not want to dismiss the roots and history. The point is people keep ignoring the "bad" parts of Christianity. And I hope that people will shake off Christianity and Islam. Do we dismiss the history and roots of gods in ancient Rome and Greece? No.

And you're too figurative.

Because people ignore the "bad parts" of christianity is no excuse to ignore the good parts. I dare you or anyone in this thread to acknowledge the good, but I doubt they'll do so.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Did anyone acknowledge the good parts of Islam?

edit on 5/14/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Hang on a minute.

That's quite a reductionist view of American independence. It's completely different.

No it isn't. It's exactly the same.

American roots aren't what America is today because they chose for it to not be (with a bit of a war and killing and such).

Just like how religion is the roots for most European countries, but they're now moving on as it's no longer relevant.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Did anyone acknowledge the good parts about Islam?

I can tell you really want to, in a thread about Christianity no less. Go ahead, say some good things about Submission, the fastest growing religion in Europe and the world, because soon you'll have no choice to do otherwise.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

American roots aren't what America is today because they chose for it to not be (with a bit of a war and killing and such).

Just like how religion is the roots for most European countries, but they're now moving on as it's no longer relevant.

It is not the same. What does this have to do with anything?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Submission? Like what Catholic church did? Oh and I replied to your question asking us to name Christians who persecute others in last page. I said Uganda and Pat Robertson.
Anyway Muslims have made advances in medicine and science. Same as Christians. Same as Hindus.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

It is not the same. What does this have to do with anything?

It's exactly the same.

The roots for America are no longer relevant in today's America, just like countries who were "founded" by religion are starting to no longer need religion as it is no longer relevant.

The roots of a country hundreds years ago (and thousands in some cases) aren't relevant today. It's that simple.
edit on 1452017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Submission? Like what Catholic church did? Oh and I replied to your question asking us to name Christians who persecute others in last page. I said Uganda and Pat Robertson.

Anyway Muslims have made advances in medicine and science. Same as Christians. Same as Hindus.

Yes, Islam is Submission in English.

Submission really appreciates your support.

Will you share with us the good that Christianity has done?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

It's exactly the same.

The roots for America are no longer relevant in today's America, just like countries who were "founded" by religion are starting to no longer need religion as it is no longer relevant.

The roots of a country hundreds years ago (and thousands in some cases) aren't relevant today. It's that simple.

It's not the same. We're talking about a religion.

Are you going to have an independence party to celebrate your leaving the church?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

You must be nuts if you think I support Islam

Anyway you have already listed the good things Christianity has done so why repeat?

And besides it's the PEOPLE themselves who do good things, not religions. Religions might influence them but the decision is ultimately on people.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

It's exactly the same.

It's not the same. We're talking about a religion.

Are you going to have an independence party to celebrate your leaving the church?

We're on about the roots of a country. Not a celebration.

BTW, I'm from the UK. Our roots aren't from religion. It goes back a lot further than Christianity. So which roots should I follow?

Saxons?
Romans?
Vikings?
Neanderthal?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

You must be nuts if you think I support Islam

Anyway you have already listed the good things Christianity has done so why repeat?

And besides it's the PEOPLE themselves who do good things, not religions. Religions might influence them but the decision is ultimately on people.

Do you think Christianity is better than Islam?

No one is arguing that it isn't humans doing good things. This might be the most ridiculous point I've seen in the whole thread, and it has been made a few times already. People are led by the contents of their beliefs.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join