It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigmatization Of The "Loner."

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite

I'd say that's most people.
I will tell you, the life of a loner, given that I am one, at least by most people's standards, isn't for everyone. I sometimes think it's a learned behavior. I think my propensity to lean in the direction of the "loner," stems from being raised around people who were two and three times my senior. While most kids were outside playing with other children their own age, I was discussing politics and world events with people who were 30 and 40 years older than I was.
I never did relate well to people in my age group and I think that contributed to my "loner" mentality. After all, what could I really discuss with them? I was interested in things that they had no concept of, much less shared interest.
edit on 7-5-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

I know that you think your bad - probably bad as in dangerous not innept. I know that you think your a wolf.

So, you regard yourself as a dangerous predator.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

You seriously think those people are loners? Suffice to say, um, no. Those people might want time alone, but none of them are loners.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

Your life is not out of your hands. It's your life.

Are you sure? The poster may be in jail, or work as a lighthouse keeper.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: c2oden

Your life is not out of your hands. It's your life.

Are you sure? The poster may be in jail, or work as a lighthouse keeper.

No not sure. I considered the incarceration possibility.
Didn't consider lighthouse keeper .
edit on 2017-05-07T01:01:20-05:002201707America/Chicago5 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
i'm quite sure it is a genetic defect that affects the brain and causes excess emotions to overwhelm the person as a child, they feel too much and can't handle it so they shut off their feelings and suppress them when any emotional trauma occurs, over time when more emotional traumas occur it furthers the damage and just builds up until they either lose it in anger, suicide or hide from people like a hermit.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

The social norm is to be social, I suppose. I have a theory...most people are of average intelligence, and anything outside of their mindset, they simply cannot understand. They have no problem being social, due to the fact that they don't over-think things. They just "do" things. Emotion ruling over logic.

I would think that, to them, an introvert is someone to be suspicious of, simply because they are different.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: Nyiah

Whats wrong with me is i dont trust people who are by themselves.

Humans are social animals. So when a drifter comes wandering into town, usually there up to no good.

You are indeed very misguided - a lot of people prefer to be alone because humans suck. It's that simple, really.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: FuggleHop

HI again ,I enjoy solitude rather than people.
AND yes weird I suppose being a sci fi artist is a factor.
BUT REPORT them...interesting...sounds a tad off.
BUT in MY case I don't like violence unless touched in anger and then I like it very much.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

As if to prove my point.

I apologize, I don't mean to insult you personally, but your grammar is atrocious, you use the wrong choice of words (there, they're, their) and you show a general distrust of anyone "other" than yourself.

You have lent credence to my theory.

Again, sorry to use you as a subject, no offense intended.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Humans rule. They especially rule the planet. Were doing a pretty good job whipping mother nature into shape, i'd say. Bending the planet to do are bidding.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAllTheSame

If you hung out with me down at the diamond youd probably find we get on very well. BUt you got to come out of your turtle shell first.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Lol, I'd report you if I ever saw you. Nothing more dangerous than a crazy person.

Just curious, what would you report the loner for? Not having a gaggle of friends? Last I checked that's not illegal.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

a reply to: SR1TX

No, that chip is staying there. I can cradle my phone against it when I phone in to report the suspicious loner I see skulking around after dark.

Id be careful if I were you.

The police can and will tell said "loner" who you are if your report is determined to be unfounded.

They may even arrest you in some places.

It is illegal to lie to a police officer in my state.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Just curious, what would you report the loner for? Not having a gaggle of friends? Last I checked that's not illegal.

Those dirty Hippies with the devil's cabbage.

edit on 7-5-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   

a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Well indeed we can wonder why it is. Upbringing mabey. Negligent parents.

If I saw a loner Id report them. Nothing screams out "suspicious" more than a loner.

What exactly would you say when you reported them?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I'd tell them the truth. I'd tell the sergeant about the shady prowler going through my nieghbor's garbadge.

+8 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Nyiah

Ask yourself a question: If their's nothing wrong with the loner, then why are they alone?

The proof is in the pudding. If they were normal people they wouldnt be alone.

By definition.

Because I and millions of others don't need to act like a lost puppy desperate for attention around others to be happy. The social butterfly goal is not on the radar for a happy life because it's not needed to achieve happiness for us. That does not mean people have something wrong with them. If you have a gnawing need for constant attention from others, I'd wage you're the one with problems, not loners or even introverts in general.

I agree 100%.

Most loners are intelligent people who are able to think for themselves, not stupid lemmings that follow the rest over the cliff. Rarely do they blindly accuse anyone NOT like them of being suspicious. They leave that activity to the stupid people.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Uberdoubter

Agreed.

In fact, I'd say that people that view themselves as part of a group have a lower average IQ than an introvert.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join