It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigmatization Of The "Loner."

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Just to let it be known, for future reference - I have a friend and am sociable, my job demands it.

Thus, it's highly unlikely that if corpses begin to pop up around me at an unusually high frequency, that I'm unlikely to be the killer.

+1 more 
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

A lot of people at my work place think I'm either a loner or a snob. While everyone else habits the break room I take my breaks outside and I go home for lunch rather than eat with my co-workers. I turn down social invitations from my co-workers regularly. There is only one co-worker whom I do anything with outside of work. Does that make me a weirdo? An introvert? I think not. To me what it means is that I don't want to listen to all the gossip and pointless drama (which there is a LOT of) and certainly don't wish to be embroiled in it. I am not unfriendly but I like to live my life in peace. I keep my business life and my personal life separate. While I have worked there nearly 3 years there are very few people who know anything but the more public details of my life- and I like it that way.

link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Exactly! Tell me more about your simile "like moths to a light".

You come up with that yourself?

Or is it a cliches?

You calling me an unoriginal parasite as youre writing cliches?

I'll tell you about another literary device. Its called irony.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

A lot of people at my work place think I'm either a loner or a snob. While everyone else habits the break room I take my breaks outside and I go home for lunch rather than eat with my co-workers. I turn down social invitations from my co-workers regularly. There is only one co-worker whom I do anything with outside of work. Does that make me a weirdo? An introvert? I think not. To me what it means is that I don't want to listen to all the gossip and pointless drama (which there is a LOT of) and certainly don't wish to be embroiled in it. I am not unfriendly but I like to live my life in peace. I keep my business life and my personal life separate. While I have worked there nearly 3 years there are very few people who know anything but the more public details of my life- and I like it that way.

Actually, from the sounds of things, that would make you an introvert. Perhaps not at the full end of the spectrum, but certainly more-so than a social butterfly

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

originally posted by: c2oden

It's not difficult.
People do not trust loners.
They don't trust them because they do not know them.
If you do not know someone, it is foolish to trust them.

Sorry loners, but you will always be looked at differently because of your anti-social behavior.

Could you please elaborate on your definition of anti-social behavior?

Not being social.
Unable to associate in a normal way.

Sorry but that is pretty weak. I can be charming and nice to you and you would never suspect a thing. I literally had the ability to manipulate any person i came in personal contact with to do my biddings for years. I got so good at it i had to force myself to quit. I left nothing but destruction in my wake and it took me a good while to realize that.

By your definition i'm anti-social because i don't give a f#ck about my neighbours and i hate gossip. Desinterest does not equals anti-social.

Sounds like you may be a psychopath.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: HeathenJessie

How about Joseph jefferson? Really? Do I need to do your homework for you? That's the problem with loners, you want answers but dont want to FIND the ansewrs.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop

Exactly! Tell me more about your simile "like moths to a light".

You come up with that yourself?

Or is it a cliches?

You calling me an unoriginal parasite as youre writing cliches?

I'll tell you about another literary device. Its called irony.

You mean irony as in the guy with an eagle for an avatar poking at loners who don't assimilate into massive groups for safety. ..

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It's not difficult.
People do not trust loners.
They don't trust them because they do not know them.
If you do not know someone, it is foolish to trust them.

Sorry loners, but you will always be looked at differently because of your anti-social behavior.

Could you please elaborate on your definition of anti-social behavior?

Not being social.
Unable to associate in a normal way.

Sorry but that is pretty weak. I can be charming and nice to you and you would never suspect a thing. I literally had the ability to manipulate any person i came in personal contact with to do my biddings for years. I got so good at it i had to force myself to quit. I left nothing but destruction in my wake and it took me a good while to realize that.

By your definition i'm anti-social because i don't give a f#ck about my neighbours and i hate gossip. Desinterest does not equals anti-social.

Sounds like you may be a psychopath.

Not necessarily.

They said they 'forced themselves to quit", If the reason is because they felt empathy towards the people they were manipulating, then they wouldn't be a psychopath. If the reason is something else, such as "I was getting too close to being caught", then that would actually be a trait within Psychopathy. Of course, there is more to Psychopathy than just manipulation.

Nevertheless, Manipulation is a very prevalent trait within Anti-Social Personality Disorder.

link   

I'm not a loner. I'm a proud american. That right there suggests a solidarity does it not?

Now, quit being a loner. Join the team & come in for the big win!

We want people like you to be american with us!

Everyone is MY friend. You can be my best friend if you want.
edit on 6-5-2017 by FuggleHop because: (no reason given)

link   
I'd imagine that the most isolated person on Earth must be the most dangerous?

Good job he's isolated...but what if it's self-imposed isolation?

Let's imagine you travelled to the most remote location on Earth, there's only one human withhin a 1,000 mile radius...and you go there and find that guy.

And you ask him...tell me Mr Introvert, why do you live out here all by yourself?

And he tell you - well, I... I just want to eat people! I'm a cannibal, you see? So, to stop myself eating poor, innocent people...I came out here to live.

Is he still creepy? He's making a moral choice to remove himself from temptation...yes he's still a massive loner with no mates.

Tough one, you made this thread awesome.
edit on 6-5-2017 by HeathenJessie because: (no reason given)

link   

a reply to: HeathenJessie

How about Joseph jefferson? Really? Do I need to do your homework for you? That's the problem with loners, you want answers but dont want to FIND the ansewrs.

On the contrary. Many introverts do research on their spare time for fun.

link   
a reply to: FuggleHop

Your not better than the rest of us just because your a self proclaimed thinker.

"self proclaimed"? now I know you are a troll

You didn't design roads or buses or meals. Those people are designers.

So designers do not think...?

Do you think before you type? Well you did say the world doesn't need thinkers.

Don't think....just react to my post

You make prime Jihadist cannon fodder

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

But I'm not a loner.

I actually have more than one friend, just trying to join in the fun.

This is fun, isn't it?

link   

Everyone is MY friend. You can be my best friend if you want.

No thanks.

link   
a reply to: Ghost147

No i meant my current neigbours. I'm just not interested in meeting them that's all. Being alone is not for everyone and i don't automatically hate people who have a better social life than me. Except the obnoxious social media users who post every f#cking little thing they do. I'm not even jealous. Live and let live is my motto. Just leave me alone and everything is fine.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

a reply to: Ghost147

No i meant my current neigbours. I'm just not interested in meeting them that's all. Being alone is not for everyone and i don't automatically hate people who have a better social life than me. Except the obnoxious social media users who post every f#cking little thing they do. I'm not even jealous. Live and let live is my motto. Just leave me alone and everything is fine.

Yup, I can understand that entirely.

But I am curious about your 'manipulation fad' you went through, as that is actually an Anti-Social behavioral trait. (Again, Anti-Social from a psychologists perspective, not the common use of the term)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Actually, from the sounds of things, that would make you an introvert. Perhaps not at the full end of the spectrum, but certainly more-so than a social butterfly

Actually I can be quite social- just not with people at my current job. You'd have to experience the place to understand. Imagine a trailer park rumor mill with constant back stabbing and "mean girl" tactics. You'd think the men and women there were in various junior high school cliques- that is the overwhelming mind set . I never had to be like this at my previous jobs but with this one it's completely necessary. Extremely juvenile!

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

mmm. Makes sense I've been in similar work places before. Although I actually do dislike social environments all together.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

And guess what...Tesla was a thinker....those people that you despise

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

And guess what...Tesla was a thinker....those people that you despise

But Tesla supposedly had a lot of mates. Not at all socially awkward.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join