It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigmatization Of The "Loner."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
We all know that one person. You know, the guy or gal who may only have 20 words to say to anyone in a ten hour period. The person who, if any, has only one or two associates.

We have all heard the horror stories. Guy goes on rampage killing three or four, injuring a dozen. Afterwards, there's always a search into the person's background. What is almost always invariably said about the person? "He/she was weird. Never talked or smiled. Didn't have a companion or friends. Was a loner."

My question is, why is this? Is it just a convenient label to toss on people who do terrible acts, or is there relevance to the connection?

Loners

According to the article, there isn't any real significance between "loners" and violent behavior, yet, most people associate "loners" with "wickedness." Any thoughts as to why this is? Thoughts?
edit on 6-5-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Well indeed we can wonder why it is. Upbringing mabey. Negligent parents.

If I saw a loner Id report them. Nothing screams out "suspicious" more than a loner.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I was a loner growing up. I blamed it on shyness. Socially awkward. I did have some evil thoughts, but part of it was caused by my home environment. I spent time with my nerd friends.
I'm isolated now again but it's out of my hands this time.

+21 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
People are afraid of what they don't understand.

Some people don't understand that I don't always want to be around them. They can't grasp that I prefer time alone. I'm not plotting your death unless you interfere with my greater plans of world domination.

Mwahaha. Ha.

+45 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop

Well indeed we can wonder why it is. Upbringing mabey. Negligent parents.

If I saw a loner Id report them. Nothing screams out "suspicious" more than a loner.

Don't be a smug jackass thinking you got the winning know-it-all comment, the all-encompassing personality description is called Introvert, of which there are varying degrees. Even have a poster here by that handle, I'm sure you've met him. A loner is one of many flavors of introvert. Nothing is illegal or abusive about that, and personally, being an introvert myself who prefers others leave me TF alone unless something's on fire or someone's dying (in other words, a loner) I take offense to the "I'd report a loner" chest thumping.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen

I was a loner growing up. I blamed it on shyness. Socially awkward. I did have some evil thoughts, but part of it was caused by my home environment. I spent time with my nerd friends.
I'm isolated now again but it's out of my hands this time.

Why are you isolated?
Your life is not out of your hands. It's your life.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

And still, I'd report a loner if I saw one.

Nothing more suspicious then a self rightoueous loner.

+35 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

WTF is wrong with you?

+39 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I present to you the very reason why I am a loner.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Whats wrong with me is i dont trust people who are by themselves.

Humans are social animals. So when a drifter comes wandering into town, usually there up to no good.

+23 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Humans are social animals. So when a drifter comes wandering into town, usually there up to no good.

Not wanting to be BFFs with every Tom, Dick & Harry we pass by isn't a sign of the f#ing apocalypse, get a damn grip & stop being so paranoid of people not doing a damn thing to you.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Ask yourself a question: If their's nothing wrong with the loner, then why are they alone?

The proof is in the pudding. If they were normal people they wouldnt be alone.

By definition.

+22 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

... Humans aren't supposed to be animals at all.

It's those humans that think they're animals that drive me away.

Your society has an issue. If it wants me back, it needs to gain at least 20 I.Q. points.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

And that is the problem with the anti social loner: It thinks its better than society.

But its ironic, because its actually contributing nothing to society.

Society demands team players and team work.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Loners stand out. They go against the grain of social trends, so they are often subjected to bullying and demonization to the point of becoming their scapegoat.

Interestingly enough, how many socially "respectable" people have led double lives? Wasn't the BTK killer considered an "ok guy" up until they discovered his little hobby? I'm not really that sure, but the truth is that anyone is capable of evil.
edit on 6-5-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

link   

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I am a "loner" myself. I guess that's why I'm curious as to where the Stigmatism comes from. I have always noticed that any time someone does something despicable, the term "loner" comes up in the media.

link   
a reply to: c2oden

If I try to look for housing on craigslist, then I'll lose access to the phone, I already lost access to the desktop in february.

+25 more 
link   

Ask yourself a question: If their's nothing wrong with the loner, then why are they alone?

The proof is in the pudding. If they were normal people they wouldnt be alone.

By definition.

Because I and millions of others don't need to act like a lost puppy desperate for attention around others to be happy. The social butterfly goal is not on the radar for a happy life because it's not needed to achieve happiness for us. That does not mean people have something wrong with them. If you have a gnawing need for constant attention from others, I'd wage you're the one with problems, not loners or even introverts in general.
edit on 5/6/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

And that is the problem with the anti social loner: It thinks its better than society.

But its ironic, because its actually contributing nothing to society.

Society demands team players and team work.

I contribute to society more than it contributes to itself. That's how I make my money, genius.

But I'm not going to hang out with the meatheads. I have better things to do.... Like, think.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better to believe there is "nothing" wrong with you, then knock yourself out.

The rest of us are flawed human beings who actually have something to contribute to society. I, for instance, am donating my time for a charitable breakfast tommorow. Maybe a loner will come in, eat a free meal, and run. Hopefully they wont eat all the butter!
edit on 6-5-2017 by FuggleHop because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join