It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigmatization Of The "Loner."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: Nyiah

If it makes you feel better to believe there is "nothing" wrong with you, then knock yourself out.

The rest of us are flawed human beings who actually have something to contribute to society. I, for instance, am donating my time for a charitable breakfast tommorow. Maybe a loner will come in, eat a free meal, and run. Hopefully they wont eat all the butter!

If bragging fills some hole in your soul, so be it.

+20 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better to believe there is "nothing" wrong with you, then knock yourself out.

The rest of us are flawed human beings who actually have something to contribute to society. I, for instance, am donating my time for a charitable breakfast tommorow. Maybe a loner will come in, eat a free meal, and run. Hopefully they wont eat all the butter!

I suggest you don't go serve. You're not right and you ain't doing it for the right reason.

+5 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Well indeed we can wonder why it is. Upbringing mabey. Negligent parents.

If I saw a loner Id report them. Nothing screams out "suspicious" more than a loner.

You're either a troll or you're the kind of person who gets a bump in their pants when they hear Donald Trump talk. Either one is pretty pathetic.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen
a reply to: c2oden

If I try to look for housing on craigslist, then I'll lose access to the phone, I already lost access to the desktop in february.

I don't understand why you would lose access, but you can look for housing without craigslist.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FuggleHop

What? Report them to whom exactly? The police? I'm sure you won't be laughed at or yelled at for wasting their time.

edit on 6-5-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Exactly... So again, I have to wonder if it's just convenient for society to blame the "loner" to make itself feel more comfortable. It's more comforting to a lot of people to think it's the social "oddball" that do despicable things, than it is to think "normal" outgoing people would.

+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Well indeed we can wonder why it is. Upbringing mabey. Negligent parents.

If I saw a loner Id report them. Nothing screams out "suspicious" more than a loner.

Report them for... what... exactly? For not spending all their time hanging out with a myriad of people 24/7 at parties and such? For living alone? For being shy? For being anxious in social situations? For just not being a talkative person in general?

There's nothing evil or suspicious in any of the above. People are different for different reasons.

Now, if said loner was dragging large plastic and duct tape wrapped items out to their car at 3 am in the morning, you might have a point.

I just don't get anything out of prolonged interactions on a personal level. I'm ok for a while, then I just want out of there to curl up with my fuzzy blanket and read or do something else. Too much social wrangling just exhausts me.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

I am smart, but Im not a genius. I leave that status for people like Einstein and Carl sagan.

So, your a thinker huh? You contribute to society by thinking?

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I am a "loner" myself. I guess that's why I'm curious as to where the Stigmatism comes from. I have always noticed that any time someone does something despicable, the term "loner" comes up in the media.

I have been married to my wife for 8 years and they only just recently accepted that I'm just not interested in a party every dang day. I'm not a bad guy anymore... Because I always fix everyone's stuff while they're running around with their heads cut off. It dawned on them, "Maybe he's autistic?"

LOL.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

haha I think I just found the butter hog.

No seriously your welcome to eat all the butter if you want to. And all the syrup.

And you neednt even thank the chefs.

Enjoy!

+8 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I am smart, but Im not a genius. I leave that status for people like Einstein and Carl sagan.

So, your a thinker huh? You contribute to society by thinking?

Are you sure you're a thinker? You make wild assumptions that a thinker would never make. I'm not sold, friend.

link   

I suppose its pathetic if you dont have traditional, solid values as your core.

But there are lots of people I just wouldnt expect to understand.

Remember the story about the cactus and the flower? Think about it.

link   

I'm a "loner", but don't feel stigmatized. In fact, how can you be stigmatized when you only associate with a few people in life?

+3 more 
posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Absolutely. People would rather believe that quiet guy is an evil skin-head jihadist than to acknowledge the posibility that one of their golf buddies could be a child abusing muderer. They transfer the fear of the unknown from their local environment, and project it to a distant alien figure. Sadly, that is the American way of life now.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

We all know that one person. You know, the guy or gal who may only have 20 words to say to anyone in a ten hour period. The person who, if any, has only one or two associates.

Sounds quite a lot like me actually...

Although I'm self aware and have been working on my social skills. Not so much because I want to be social, more so that it's convenient to not be looked upon as a loner in a social world.

We have all heard the horror stories. Guy goes on rampage killing three or four, injuring a dozen. Afterwards, there's always a search into the person's background. What is almost always invariably said about the person? "He/she was weird. Never talked or smiled. Didn't have a companion or friends. Was a loner."

Just to clarify, I have not planned to go on a killing rampage

My question is, why is this? Is it just a convenient label to toss on people who do terrible acts, or is there relevance to the connection?

There's several reasons for this. You are absolutely correct that it's convenient to label people like that in the way they do.

It's easy to demonize a person who does 'demonic' acts. It also helps people separate themselves from an individual like that, as if that person is not of the same species, because most people cannot conceive why or how a person could do such things.

According to the article, there isn't any real significance between "loners" and violent behavior, yet, most people associate "loners" with "wickedness." Any thoughts as to why this is? Thoughts?

Actually, I've studied this precise phenomena and individuals. I've interviewed over 40 people who have Antisocial Personality Disorder (within that disorder you'll find Psychopaths and Sociopaths). Contrary to the name, these aren't necessarily individuals whom are 'antisocial' in a way that we would commonly use the term in standard conversation.

In Psychology, 'Antisocial' can describe traits other than obtaining from social activities. It has more origin within the realm of what we would see in Biology. A 'Social Species' works together, there may be a hierarchy, there's communal aid, raising of other people's young, perhaps as a group. Anti-social, in this view, goes against that; Lying, Cheating, Stealing, Violence, Narcissism, these traits only help or focus on the individual committing them or obtaining them. These things, in psychological terms are anti-social.

Now, lets look at the "loner". There can be a plethora of reasons why someone is: Shy, withdrawn, quiet, non-social (social in the common form). This trait could be caused by something as simple as a low self esteem, It could be depression, it could even be a significantly higher intelligence. Studies show that the higher your level of intelligence, the less amount of people you will want to be around, and the less friends you'll have. In all these traits we see a commonality of a personally felt separation.

Low Self Esteem: "Everyone's better than me at everything, I'll never amount to anything." "I could never be like that" "I look ugly" "Everyone else is so Beautiful/Smart/Funny/Talented/Loved"

Depression: similar to low self esteem, often driven by other events such as a recent loss of a job, a loved one. Other influences could simply be a severe lack of sleep, poor diet, and some may simply be more susceptible to depression.

Higher Intelligence: "I feel as though I don't relate to anyone else" "No one can see what I see" often very lonely.

So what leads to violent tendencies?

We see examples of people that have had a very traumatic experience when they were younger, such as being sexually abused. Mental abuse from peers could also cause this.

Personality disorders can have a very dramatic influence. A lower level of intelligence could also be present.

But to really Hate others enough, or a specific group of people (peers, a particular race, a particular religion, a particular gender), you'd likely see a history of family issues with similar problems, or an environment that drove this focus.

Then you have a persons natural neurological state. Sometimes some peoples brains simply don't produce enough feel-good chemicals, such as Dopamine or Serotonin, or specific regions in the brain that help with emotions and empathy have reduced activity.

We can also see, in males, a duplicate chromosome. Instead of XY, we would see XYY, in rare cases, and it has been linked to increased aggression in some cases.

Psychology... very interesting stuff

link   

Whats wrong with me is i dont trust people who are by themselves.

Humans are social animals. So when a drifter comes wandering into town, usually there up to no good.

Humans are absolutely NOT social animals. Territorial and Vicious in every manner of the word.

link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Yes well said!

But I think we should all share the common mission to report loners before they start dragging out the bodies at 3am.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

No. You have been hurt and you carry your scars.

But many of us just want to cook pancakes for our countrymen.

+9 more 
link   

I suppose its pathetic if you dont have traditional, solid values as your core.

But there are lots of people I just wouldnt expect to understand.

Remember the story about the cactus and the flower? Think about it.

Traditional solid values is putting down people who eat butter?

You're saying there's something wrong with us?

I'm starting to wonder if you don't have a lifetime supply of duct-tape yourself...

+2 more 
link   

haha I think I just found the butter hog.

No seriously your welcome to eat all the butter if you want to. And all the syrup.

And you neednt even thank the chefs.

Enjoy!

I would not attend such a function in the first place. Keep your butter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join