It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigmatization Of The "Loner."

page: 22
<< 19  20  21   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

curiousmindmagazine.com...
- also intellectual and deep thinkers.
-this content is protected so i cant cut and paste a few choice comments for you.

If you have ever read "1984" you will find that part of the method of the Party was to ensure that people were never alone with their own thoughts, that they had to think in lock step with everyone else.

I am sure that this is understood by the owners of the media sources that are stigmatising loners.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Barliman

I am sure that's a huge part of the reason, yes. I read both "1984" by Orwell and "Brave New World" by Huxley. It's really amazing how both books parallel today's society in some ways.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Haven't read all the way through yet, but my take is loners are mainly made up of people who find little value in social interaction. There are many ways to get to that point, and people may even become that way after leading a significant portion of their lives as social butterflies.

If you are a loner, would you agree with that?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Haven't read all the way through yet, but my take is loners are mainly made up of people who find little value in social interaction. There are many ways to get to that point, and people may even become that way after leading a significant portion of their lives as social butterflies.

If you are a loner, would you agree with that?

We are evolved to be social creatures and the parts of our brain that expanded most during the last phases of human evolution (esp pre-frontal cortex) are strongly involved in social cognition.

However there are a couple of traps in that situation. One is that in a strongly socially cohesive society (and especially one with limited employment niches) the drive for social cohesion tends to alienate those who are not able to fit in to the group well.

A good example is the issue of viewing sport on the TV and using that to talk about. There are many people who have quite complex minds and find that bloody boring.

In school you will find bright kids and uncoordinated kids have a bad time. Then there is the bullying and bastardry associated with certain alpha types in schools that do not control that sort of behaviour properly.

Many philosophers in the 17th century actually thought that schools were bad for children as they induced conformity.

The bottom line is that I think it is biologically abnormal to find little value in human interaction- and that many of those who profess not to have been traumatised. Those ones will make up most of the group that can evolve in to a threat.

The majority of the others defined as loners may well be introverted intellectual, or suffering one illness or another that makes getting out and about hard.

The other group that tends to be loners much of the time is called "The Highly Sensitive Person".Broadly speaking this means a high sensitivity to physical stimuli that means we cant tolerate noise levels that many others can, and have much higher than average difficulty with crowd deafness- so participating in group conversations becomes difficult- especially in restaurants.

That needs to a great deal of unwanted social isolation.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
American principles were based on 2 things:
Ownership - you worked for it you deserve to keep it, and...
Lonership - the right to be by yourself and not be condemned as a witch for it.
Yes, we had the right to be a little weird should we choose to be. Eccentrics built and invented a great many things here in the US. Coral Castle comes to mind just as Disneyland is another.
Creative people must often refrain from society just to make their ideas come together. I must've spent a good 20 years that way myself. To prove I was productive and not a failed mass murder plotter check the link in my signature. It's the only defense I have to offer.
edit on 28-5-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Yeah, I think that's the case in some instances. Some people just get tired of putting on a "show" for the masses, sort of speak. Sure, what you suggest happens.

I must follow that with, as a "loner" myself, I have always found it to be more of a personality trait. Frankly, I have little to no interest in interacting about the typical subjects people interact about. I have very limited interest in talking about the weather, television shows or what Joe Blow or Sue Pue down the street are doing with their lives. Now, if you want to talk politics, science, philosophy, et cetera, I can talk to you for hours.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: residentofearth

Thank you, Residentofearth from Poland.

Yours was a very well thought out and articulat response (unlike SOME responses here that are just trying to engaije in a shouting match because there opinions arent as thought out and reasoned as opinions by the rest of us sigh).

But I must disagree that its ones right to walk anywhere anytime. In fact, despite the fact that 8 (count them!) people starred your post, you are just wrong. No one has the right to walk anywhere anytime.

For example, lets pertend its 2am and I want to go walking but I only have a small backyard but my naybor has a large backyard. Its where he keeps his chickens. Im not allowed to walk on his property without permission. See its "Private property" and it would be an error in judgment for me to go prowling about on his property.

Or imagine that I think theres a nifty old vehicle in the stack of cars piled up in the old junk yard. It would be illegal for me to hop the fence and go pokling about in the junk yard just because i mistakenly think its my right to go anywhere anytime.

Life simply doesnt work that way in the Usa.

Hi thanks, but I think you misunderstand my post. By 'going anytime, anywhere' I didn't meant bulgary, thief or going to army base - its more about walking in a park, public places, water canals, beach, street or a just busy city downtown (In Poland you can walk till you die in public places). Anytime, anywhere in a possible borders - we are loners, we are not stupid. Its about time for yourself. To look at the people, think about them, analizing and trying to figured out, sort of meditation (for me of course). I dont need dozens of friends, I need two the best. I dont need a group of support, I cant open myself in front of group. I have my second part and she is my group of support. I dont need to be a part of a group because my mind is full of concepts and ideas that I can't be labeled in a one. And IMO people in groups are soooo dishonest - you dont want to insult anybody so you are saying only good sides of the person and after you are leaving the bar all is changing. There is nobody now in my life who can cheat me badly. Its a plus of being a loner, trust and honesty you can count anytime.
And as someone above said, we are not sheeps - WE HATE TO LIVE IN GROUP!

And I dont care about stars, maybe only 9 persons had read it? Them I am 100% right.

Greetings

edit: If You do really understood going anywhere anytime by going on others private property You really dont reading posts, you are only writing ones.

Greeting again

edit on Wed, 31 May 2017 12:56:08 -0500America/Chicago085631America/Chicago5312017f by residentofearth because: (no reason given)

edit 2:

Now, if you want to talk politics, science, philosophy, et cetera, I can talk to you for hours.

thank You SpeakerofTruth

edit on Wed, 31 May 2017 12:58:35 -0500America/Chicago355831America/Chicago5312017f by residentofearth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21   >>

join