It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the source of cold in the universe?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
1 would think that since the many Created materials here seemed to of started from a highly charged-energized and heated process that the Created medium or Abyss of which the many galaxy, nebula, star systems and their many islands/planets & moons formed in would be of opposite temperature overall to help sustain the Created materials as they would naturally cool after said heated processes over time.

Outta box, in reverse if a universe was Created by similar highly charged-energized and cooling processes the medium or Abyss used to sustain that system would be created as a heated medium to help sustain the created materials as they warm, over time...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Antigravity is the source of cold. And to static machines, the most envied power of heat dissipation.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Cold and hot are just differences in energy levels in matter relative to the observer. To a virtual particle living above the zero point looks mighty inviting and toasty. It wishes it were as warm as -270whatever.

The vacuum of space is cold because it has low energy levels.

The source of cold is having low energy.

Or you can look at it in a biblical sense. God in the first testament is pretty cold. Smite this, burn that, sacrifice your kids. Thats pretty damned cold. And god is everywhere so there you have it. God is on cold mofo and therefor so is the universe. Thats why its hip to be coooool. Closer to god n all that.

edit on 7-5-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I always understood it like this. Heat is energy, so lack of energy is cold. The void of space is almost devoid of energy (besides quantum fluctuations, which generate a tiny amount of energy) so it is devoid of heat which makes it very cold. The closer You get to something that is producing energy, like a star the hotter it will get.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

You’re describing what it is or how it gets to what it is, NOT its source of existence.

OK

the source of its existence is the human mind, it created a term to describe a sensation.

The human mind is the source of the cold.

Why is space default cold?

its not.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Thill

Yeah i was going to get into virtual particles. Zero point and quantum fluctuations but figured thats for the next class.

Glad you brought it up though. If the op looks into that hell find a better answer as yo why space is the temp it is.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

You’re describing what it is or how it gets to what it is, NOT its source of existence.

OK

the source of its existence is the human mind, it created a term to describe a sensation.

The human mind is the source of the cold.

Why is space default cold?

its not.

That’s good, very good, I was thinking along those lines myself

That goes somewhat into metaphysics which is my main field of study, how all this is somehow is interconnected.

Were finding that out the hard way

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Maybe the question should be changed to

Why is cold the default field in the universe

This question might be better inside the philosophy and metaphysics forum

I look at it as a fundamental observation of reality or God itself because we are witnessing something very very basic and fundamental, the default state of the universal field of being in the physical universe.

I got a great pm from, I don’t know if he or she wants to be known so I wont say, at this time who it is or what it says until I get permission to publish it.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Why is cold the default field in the universe

Calling "cold" a field and a default one, doesn't seem realistic.

It seems you are picking a level of energy and believing it should be a different level, or something along that thought.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Cold is just lack of heat energy. It's not its own thing and doesn't need a source. It's the default condition.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Cold, as you put it, is the lack (relative) of vibration of particles in atoms. It isn't generated anywhere.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Cold, as you put it, is the lack (relative) of vibration of particles in atoms. It isn't generated anywhere.

Science knows that everything has a source then what you say is unscientific.

Or more interestingly, the consequence of your statement is that cold is God

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I always assumed cold was just the absence of heat, so why do you need a source that exists to be a negative? Without heat, the universe would just be one temperature. Absolute zero.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: SirHardHarry

Then heat is a lack of cold

Fine

The mystery though is we know the source of one side of the equation, that is the source of heat

But we know not the physical source of cold...
Just saying its a lack of heat doesn't answer the question, I'm afraid

Yes, it does actually. Do you understand basic physics?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
No, cold is the absence of heat.

Just like darkness is the absence of light. Neither cold nor darkness truly exist.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Cold is only a subjective term - I feel cold, This feels cold to me... - Even when comparing two things it would not be accurate to say this is colder than that...

What is really going on is - what we see as cold is really (as others have said) A lack of energy or movement (Which amount to the same thing)

When I say movement I really mean it like this - When you Boil a pot of water you are imparting energy into the water atoms which now vibrate and move around much more until eventually they escape as a gas...

If you do not boil the water it will remain less energetic forever until something puts that extra energy into it.

You need a source for the energy (An energy source) - You do not however need a source of lack of energy (that doesn't even make sense to say - say it out loud - it really doesn't)

I imagine this is where most of the confusion comes from - This is one thing that unforgettably really is lop-sided - as you only need a source for energy - and not a source for the lack of energy (that is just what it has as default) - if you want it to get more energy then you MUST put that energy into it otherwise nothing else will happen.

At absolute zero - any atoms are not moving because they now have what we would consider no movement. - and therefore class it as zero energy - or zero heat.

It is the temp it is - because that was what was measured on the scale when all movement stopped in the atoms.

Also to us cold feels like a physical thing like heat does - however this is just an illusion - Heat (or energy) Will want to even itself out (Just like high and low pressures do - when you are feeling something "cold" - you really feel the heat energy your skin has transferring to the "colder" object - the "colder" it is - the faster this transfer and so you feel it as a sharp coldness. (Again all subjective what you feel in this situation)

When you feel something "hotter" than you - you are again feeling the heat energy transferring from the object to your "colder" skin - the exact same thing happens as with "cold" but with one very important thing going on....

"heat" only travels one way - it always goes from "Hotter" to "Colder" - And never from "Colder to Hotter" - what you feel is the heat energy transferring to you - this at least feels like whats happening subjectively - unlike when you feel a cold object (subjectively)

as a side note - there is also no source of low pressure either - it is a lack of matter this time as compared to the alternative high pressure - the high pressure will want to push out - filling the low pressure environment until it is in equilibrium and now does not have high pressure compared to any low pressure - the whole environment is now at the same pressure)

(Also there is no source of dark as again many have said - this is again an illusion - dark is just the default state of the universe without light energy this time - what about a blind person also - they could be in the brightest room ever made - and would still see only dark - this is the case because their eyes are not registering the light energy - so again even the human minds default is dark - without the extra light energy - where is the source of the dark for a blind person? - there is none - it is again a lack of energy)

Also - if there had been a source of cold - we would have a perpetual motion machine - as that source would never run out - alas - it is not that simple.

Lightspeeders.
edit on 4-6-2017 by lightspeeders because: Added extra information

edit on 4-6-2017 by lightspeeders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I love this OP.

And idk if anyone also pointed out the direction that energy naturally travels in, which is always from hot to cold.

Or how the cold always takes from heat and not the other way around.

Like, hot air doesn't attack an ice cube like we all might imagine... it's actually the opposite. The ice cube attacks the heat and greedily eats it up (changing itself)... like a parasite greedily taking from it's host.

And it's all about energy distribution, cold and heat, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I always envisaged heat as energy (vibration) and cold as lack of energy (stillness). So Absolute Zero is the temperature when molecules stop vibrating even though quantum mechanics states that even at absolute zero the molecule does not achieve zero energy.
edit on 4-6-2017 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: SirHardHarry

Then heat is a lack of cold

Fine

The mystery though is we know the source of one side of the equation, that is the source of heat

But we know not the physical source of cold...
Just saying its a lack of heat doesn't answer the question, I'm afraid

That's like asking (as someone else mentioned above) "We know where light comes from, but what is the source of dark".

Darkness is the absence of light; darkness is the "default state" of the universe. The only reason for there sometimes not being any darkness is because there is light.

Similarly, cold is the default state of the universe. The only reason why there is sometimes "not cold" is because of heat.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I'll give you your answer:

The source of cold is expansion.

The universe used to be much hotter than it is now, but it's been cooling down as it is expanding.

The fridge cools its interior down by compressing a gas and then letting it expand.

Some of the coldest places in space are where interstellar material is rapidly expanding.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join