It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — and his allies in coal country are livid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is exactly what we need.
Less handouts and more jobs.
I don't see the problem.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: Willtell
We tried to tell you people.

Trump is a member of the republican party, and people forget that they live, breath, and function for one thing: to help and protect the RICH!

They will gladly rob the poor and give to the rich

Investing in Automation, tech, industrial, auto manufacturing, and finally funneling money away from agencies like the EPA to feed the military.
Whew, didn't see that coming.

I honestly didn't see it coming where Trump/Bannon would so boldly dismiss the people that voted for them once in power. It is a conceit I hadn't predicted. It's not just a "eff-you, I won" attitude toward democrats...it's a "eff-you I won" attitude toward a population they clearly see as suckers they exploited for the vote.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
This is exactly what we need.
Less handouts and more jobs.
I don't see the problem.

The ARC Program is focused on Infrastructure and education.

Why do you think educating Appalachians or building highways to attract business is a hand-out?

www.arc.gov...
edit on 17-3-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: muse7

It was about making brown and black people suffer and sticking it to them libtards.

Obama did more damage to minority's then all modern presidents combined.

Where did you get that talking point?

Breitbart?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

12 states. What about Virginia, New York and Maryland? Trump lost those states and they are also part of the collective. You make it sound like he is sticking it to the coal miners when it is not true.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Making dark people suffer? Where did you get that? Farrakhan?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

12 states. What about Virginia, New York and Maryland? Trump lost those states and they are also part of the collective. You make it sound like he is sticking it to the coal miners when it is not true.

Good find! ya...in addition to the states that DID vote for him, like

West Virginia
Pennsylvania,
Ohio,
Kentucky,
Alabama,
Georgia,
Mississippi,
North Carolina,
South Carolina,
Tennessee,

he is also massively screwing Virginia, New York and Maryland.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

How could people NOT seeing it coming?

O wait, they were fed a bunch of BS.
Trump is in this for his own personal gain, and to get people who probably invested in his own business' or who got him in that position to get a big fat bonus at the end, or in the case of the DOE a nice retirement fund and fat severance.

All he wants to do is create big numbers, step of all sorts of peoples feet, so that at the end of his term his numbers on paper will look impressive and make him look like an amazing president.
He's a business man, he knows how to play the game. Create cuts here, to optimize efficiency over there. Is it the right thing to do? Well if you're running a factory maybe, but an entire country. Nope.

This is Trump final and most impressive line on his resume, that's all he cares about. His OWN legacy, not the United States.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

They cut 340 million from 12 states. That is 28 million a state. Is that REALLY going to destroy the infrastructure of any of these states. No.

But, if you think this is him screwing the country have at it....

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

He's a business man, he knows how to play the game. Create cuts here, to optimize efficiency over there. Is it the right thing to do? Well if you're running a factory maybe, but an entire country. Nope.

You just reminded me what he said in the news conference today when asked about his BS claim of wiretapping..

Like you'd expect...he didn't answer the question...but ...

“The United States has been treated very, very unfairly by many countries over the years and that's going to stop. But I'm not an isolationist. I'm a free trader but I’m also a fair trader and our free trade has led to a lot of bad things happening,”

Trump said, noting America’s significant trade deficit and the accompanying accumulation of debt.

“We're a very powerful company — country. We’re a very strong, very strong country. We'll soon be at a level that we perhaps have never been before.”

www.politico.com...

And for anyone confused....

Governments are NOT companies...
Companies look to increase revenues for profit..
Companies look to decrease expenses...

Revenues to a government are tax dollars..(Increase)
Expenses to a government pay for services we are taxed for ..Fire, Police, Roads etc..(decrease)

Governments are a Zero Sum aspiration vs. businesses that look to profit from consumers...in a business YOU are the FISH for profit to be exploited..you do NOT want your hypothetically ZERO profit government to treat you as a Profit Source.

Governments are not Businesses..........They are a vehicle to get mutually beneficial things done for a population.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The last administration was cutting coal like crazy and it was well accepted by the same politicians that are now screaming.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Did I rub you the wrong way?

I was responding to muse, he brought up brown and black people suffering under this administration and I pointed out the truth, so if anyone was off topic it was your guy muse.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

They cut 340 million from 12 states. That is 28 million a state. Is that REALLY going to destroy the infrastructure of any of these states. No.

But, if you think this is him screwing the country have at it....

Not screwing the country..

California has an excess of funding from their taxes, they pay into the Fed, not take..

But it will screw the states I listed (Appalachia)..

He will take CA dollars and put them toward the Military and defund Appalachia....

Honestly doesn't hurt liberals..But I am old fashioned..Caring for those that need a leg-up, even if they voted Trump.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Like hell their not.

Who has the cyst now?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Did I rub you the wrong way?

No..Just calling stupid where I see it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Because they invested the most important thing a state can give the feds, votes!

Coal is a dead industry, and it should be left dead.
Sorry that they were conned into voting for Trump, but it doesn't take a genius to understand where energy comes from and the uses of coal, it's a very niche market now.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Like hell their not.

Who has the cyst now?

If Government was a business. And businesses always MAXIMIZE revenues ...

What are Revenues to a Government to MAXIMIZE?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The region has lost over 700,000 jobs since the 1960s when the extraction resources economy began to falter. Coal jobs lost during the past eight years are minimal relatively speaking when looking at 700,000 lost, overall.

Except for counties in the Utica and Marcellus shale plays in the map-region, nothing improved over the last eight years except for some western-Virginia counties (blue state) and a southern-tier NY county (blue state).

Here's how it works: President recommends YUGE budget cuts to Red states/districts. Opposition media does its duty to slay the proposal. Voters bite nails and bad mouth politicians. House tinkers with budget proposal, rebrands the same program appropriation but under new program name and project scope to ensure Red states/districts are protected.

Legislators running in 2018 go back to their districts and high-five and fist pump over their success with retaining the funding to make their districts great again. Incumbent Republicans re-elected. Trump maintains majority in House and Senate.

It is nothing but a shell game.

Instead of worrying about a phantom budget that neither you nor I have yet seen, I'm more interested in what the German business representatives who visited the White House today recommended to the Administration about training and retraining a workforce in the 21st Century.

For business, it will be all about apprenticeships. Business will finally begin to train the workforce it needs.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
from looking at the map I see that 3 counties in Maryland are on the map, so, Maryland gets 28 million a year from tax payers to use to promote economic development in those 3 counties? why?
let the state pay to promote economic development for those 3 counties. Let each state pay for it`s own economic development promotions.
Most of that money is probably being wasted anyway on fancy dinners and such and written off as economic development promotions.

The population of those 3 counties is about 250,000 people, spending 28 million dollars a year to promote economic development for 250,000 people doesn`t seem like a good deal to me,no matter who is paying for it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Like hell their not.

Who has the cyst now?

If Government was a business. And businesses always MAXIMIZE revenues ...

What are Revenues to a Government to MAXIMIZE?

Even though you may not realize it, you are pointing out why government gets so bloated. Unlike businesses which have to contain costs, government only has to focus on the revenue (tax) side of the equation. This is why governments have no incentive to be efficient or contain costs. They simply tax more to make up for any cost overruns. In addition, government rarely has any competition to ensure that they are incentivized to improve service.

In the business world a company that becomes bloated cost wise and makes management mistakes risks going out of business. Government does not have that risk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join