It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — and his allies in coal country are livid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

As I am raising my 9 year old grandson - - progression must be considered for his choice of career. Even if a Robotic grease monkey.

I know what you mean. One of my 'dear-ones' just switched directions, started a new career selling cars - is doing quite well and very excited. Am wracking my brain trying to be unconditionally supportive whilst giving cautious heads-up warnings. [Big changes coming with automation in transportation. And soon. One prediction says 80% fewer vehicles on the road.]

...I also get that succinct & clipped not confrontational bit.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Isn't that interesting that the most conservative and religious part of the country is also the poorest and needs the most government help.

Obama and Hillary were both on the Global Warming bandwagon which spelled the end of coal

You realize that coal is a 300 year old technology and very bad for the environment right?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

When he was asked by Tucker Carlson the other day (on FOX) about the fact that he is hurting his own voters the most Trump said, with a shrug and a quick 'so?' expression: "Oh, I know. I know."

sigh

Yet they keep digging in deeper. It's so sad.

CARLSON: This bill has, as one of its centerpieces, a tax cut for investors that would primarily benefit people making over $250,000 a year. Already done pretty well in the past 10 years, as you know. A Bloomberg analysis showed that counties that voted for you, middle class and working class counties, would do far less well under this bill than the counties that voted for Hillary, the more affluent counties.

TRUMP: Oh, I know. I know.
Completely unfazed.

edit on 3/18/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: Annee

As I am raising my 9 year old grandson - - progression must be considered for his choice of career. Even if a Robotic grease monkey.

I know what you mean. One of my 'dear-ones' just switched directions, started a new career selling cars - is doing quite well and very excited. Am wracking my brain trying to be unconditionally supportive whilst giving cautious heads-up warnings. [Big changes coming with automation in transportation. And soon. One prediction says 80% fewer vehicles on the road.]

...I also get that succinct & clipped not confrontational bit.

I have a 24 year old grandson too. He's worked as a server at a popular sports bar since high school. He had a female boss and all was cool, until the owner fired her. Why? Because of "T & A". A new Hooters just opened in the same area. They owner yuppied up the place and is only hiring young girls now. My grandson "graduated" to bartending - - - not anymore - - - he doesn't have the right body parts per the owner.

Things can "change on a dime".

He's very smart and has always planned on getting a college degree. He just needed a "life break" (family stress related). He wants to be a social worker specializing in the deaf. I told him it doesn't matter much what career, as long as you have that piece of paper that says "degree". When you get older it may be the only thing that saves your job.

Life/society progresses - - the days of living in the same town, following daddy's footsteps is a dead end.

The government is not going to save you. Only YOU can save you.

But, Progressives didn't elect Trump.

edit on 18-3-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You cleverly left out the full text and link.

Naughty Naughty.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's what you get when a narcissistic, sociopathic, megalomaniac get's to be president.
0 f@cks given.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

yep. because after that he said basically it has to be worked on or some such thing.
I wondered who would raise that flag first.

Nevertheless. He DID say this the other day on national television, AND I QUOTE:

That speech was hot for about two or three hours after the speech was made because they came up with other things having to with other people that they shouldn't have done, but they did it. And you know exactly what I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Trump is referring to his marks. In con-man lingo, a mark is the person you’re scamming

A con-man NEVER has any respect for his victims as Trump so clearly demonstrated in that interview.

So what, he says, they were stupid enough to vote for me they may be just as stupid to not do anything about it.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
And now that that is out of the way..crickets

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Willtell
We tried to tell you people.

YES!

We did.

Regardless, I'm all for this. I want more and more cuts. The budget needs to shrink considerably more.

I didn't say anything about shrinking the budget? Neither did Trump? Trump is cutting programs to impoverished regions of the USA so he can grow the largest military on planet earth and build a great wall..

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So are you saying Trump is a great President for doing the right thing and not giving out favors to his political allies like Obama did?

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
Trump is cutting programs to impoverished regions of the USA so he can ...

repair the horribly gutted military Obama left him? Where 2/3 of the Navy Strike Jets are not even able to fly?
www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Cuts. 340 million in cuts not a removal of funding. Sorry, I think heavy cuts should be made to all programs in the US except military funding. Too many places are bloated and money is wasted.

And you don't think the military is bloated and wasting money? His 54 billion in cuts to all sorts of programs (some of which are probably very much warranted), are offset by 54 billion going to an already over-budgeted military. If he really wanted to save money.. he should have started there.

China's military is growing fast and strong. And they do it on less than half of the budget we do. Pentagon can't account for over 6 TRILLION dollars - and the millions in certain organizations a bigger concern?

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes

originally posted by: Willtell
We tried to tell you people.

YES!

We did.

Regardless, I'm all for this. I want more and more cuts. The budget needs to shrink considerably more.

I didn't say anything about shrinking the budget? Neither did Trump? Trump is cutting programs to impoverished regions of the USA so he can grow the largest military on planet earth and build a great wall..

and get tax breaks for him and his children's businesses

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Trump is cutting programs to impoverished regions of the USA so he can ...

repair the horribly gutted military Obama left him? Where 2/3 of the Navy Strike Jets are not even able to fly?
www.cnn.com...

when they are getting 600 billion a year, those jets should be flying. they don't need more money, they need people doing their job. where are the god damn auditors, and cost cutters?????......oh yeah, those are only for the poor people, welfare queens, minorities, disabled, sick, retired, etc....

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute
a reply to: Indigo5

Probably true, the profitability of coal has passed. However, I attribute it as much to the preceding eight years of Obama and his green energy policies as anything.

Obama and Hillary were both on the Global Warming bandwagon which spelled the end of coal and the people who were employed in the industry. Coal is still a cheap and dependable energy source, whether it remains relevant as an energy source remains to be seen.

you are massively uninformed.
It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Obama. if you were capable of thinking for yourself instead of following propaganda, you could easily research and discover this on your own. Coal production in appalachia has been on a steady and consistent decline for decades, we'll before Obama entered office. and it is/was caused by a variety of factors. As all things are. Only stupid people think that complex issues are caused by a single simple source.
And now that fracking has taken over, it is dead for good.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: muse7

It was about making brown and black people suffer and sticking it to them libtards.

Obama did more damage to minority's then all modern presidents combined.

what an insanely stupid comment. and I see that the following comments that you made were all equally as dumb, if not even moreso.
edit on 20-3-2017 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

because he's not offering them jobs. what jobs? where are these jobs that you're talking about? Saying you're going to give people jobs doesn't magically make it happen. the coal idustry is dead, those jobs aren't coming back. I live in appalachia. nary a week goes by without somebody I know who works in a coal mine getting laid off. it's dead. he isn't fixing it.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

a reply to: Indigo5

The ARC needs to be disbanded. It was created by LBJ. Has it improved the poverty levels in any one of those counties?

I would argue that ARC prevented rural Appalachia from becoming like 3rd word rural communities..Via education opportunity, highways and access to technology resources..

But sure..Cut them off..

Trump has NOTHING in common with the marks he conned into voting for his Billionaire lifestyle..

The coming years in America are going to be painful, but needed..It will be a bloodbath in 2020..likely 2018 as well.

The average Appalachian might not have the same opportunities as most, but their circumstances demand they have above average common sense and smarts. Trump is screwing the people that elected him.

How is offering them jobs instead of hand-outs "screwing" them? When you have a job your income is based on how willing you are to work. When you are getting hand-outs your income is fixed.

What job would that be exactly?

So, easy to say "give them a job". There are no jobs, that's the problem.

And why are there no jobs? Because their culture is leaving them in the dust of antiquity.

Because when the coal mines are operating again, a whole network of jobs opens up. See my post above.

dear god, you are dumb and naive.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join