It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — and his allies in coal country are livid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

So it’s striking that President Trump’s first budget proposal would slash and burn several key programs aimed at promoting economic development in coal regions — most notably, the Appalachian Regional Commission and the Economic Development Administration. In recent years, these programs have focused on aiding communities that have been left behind as mining jobs vanished.

“I am disappointed that many of the reductions and eliminations proposed in the President’s skinny budget are draconian, careless and counterproductive,” said Rep. Hal Rogers, a senior House Republican from a key coal-mining district in southeastern Kentucky.

Link Here: www.vox.com...

Other Links Here:
Trump seeks to ax Appalachia economic programs, causing worry in coal country
www.reuters.com...

Trump's Proposal to Scrap the Agency Devoted to Developing Appalachia
www.theatlantic.com...

Trump’s Budget Hits Trump’s Voters Hard
www.thedailybeast.com...

Trump's budget proposes eliminating funding for these agencies
www.politico.com...

edit on 17-3-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Where's this budget doc? I thought it was a blue print?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

So it’s striking that President Trump’s first budget proposal would slash and burn several key programs aimed at promoting economic development in coal regions — most notably, the Appalachian Regional Commission and the Economic Development Administration. In recent years, these programs have focused on aiding communities that have been left behind as mining jobs vanished.

“I am disappointed that many of the reductions and eliminations proposed in the President’s skinny budget are draconian, careless and counterproductive,” said Rep. Hal Rogers, a senior House Republican from a key coal-mining district in southeastern Kentucky.

Well if they go hungry they can always just eat a well done steak with ketchup

Let them eat steak!

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
We tried to tell you people.

Trump is a member of the republican party, and people forget that they live, breath, and function for one thing: to help and protect the RICH!

They will gladly rob the poor and give to the rich

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I've been saying since February 2015 that Trump is a con man and would be taking his supporters for a ride. No surprises here.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

No link to anything I see.

Which masterpiece MSM outlet is this from ?

Love to see it.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Now tell me again how trump is making America great?
America is great if you're rich.
The wealthy NEVER care about anyone else.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Cuts. 340 million in cuts not a removal of funding. Sorry, I think heavy cuts should be made to all programs in the US except military funding. Too many places are bloated and money is wasted.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Just keep repeating and they will think it's true. Where have I heard that before.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Thanks Fox..Fixed it for you..

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I've been saying since February 2015 that Trump is a con man and would be taking his supporters for a ride. No surprises here.

Strip them of economic development funding...Strip them of Medicaid and Healthcare...Hope they die off before 2020 when they might be able to vote for payback..In coal country where black lung disease is ravaging these people, that might actually happen absent any healthcare.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: VenatiusFortunatus

It's a double Whammy...strip them of economic development aimed at bringing industry their way..

Then Strip them of Healthcare..

Rural America Could be Hardest Hit by Repeal of Obamacare
www.newsweek.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The number of Americans receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) more-than doubled over the past two decades, from 5.2 million to 11.7 million by the end of 2011.

The number of residents receiving disability insurance from the Social Security Administration (SSA) varies from state to state. In West Virginia, close to one in every 10 people aged 18 to 64 was receiving SSDI benefits from the federal government, more than three times the rate in states like Utah and Alaska.

The problem in the states on your map is a general lack of education and lack of manual labor jobs. Trump is going to reopen the coal mines, now we just need to have all those who were awarded a Social Security disability recertified...I suspect that more than half of the recipients do not need my tax dollars. What do you think the odds of stopping SSDI fraud are in our entitlement rich society?

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

Trump is going to reopen the coal mines, now we just need to have all those who were awarded a Social Security disability recertified...I suspect that more than half of the recipients do not need my tax dollars.

Fracking has overtaken the coal industry..

The Coal industry was on it's deathbed long before the Clean Water Act that Trump repealed.

6 Coal fired power plants have ceased operations since he was elected and 40 more are scheduled for decommissioning..

It has to do with technology, not policy...Coal Mining jobs are not coming back.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

what is notable is his apparent desire to eliminate a federal agency created to improve the lives of many of his own supporters: the Appalachian Regional Commission.

The ARC was established by an act of Congress in 1965 as a federal-state partnership to promote economic growth in a region encompassing
all of West Virginia
and parts of Pennsylvania,
Ohio,
Kentucky,
Alabama,
Georgia,
Maryland,
Mississippi,
New York,
North Carolina,
South Carolina,
Tennessee,
and Virginia.
Its footprint includes 420 counties and more than 25 million people.

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
First, are these real cuts or just cuts in budget increases?

n federal government speak, a "cut" means you don't get a budget increase, not that your budget is shrinking. For example, let's say your budget is $100. Every budget year your funding typically increase by $5.00 automatically so you are expecting to have a budget of $105 next year. Instead, big bad republican says we aren't increasing the budget, so you don't get your $5.00 increase. You have to make do with the $100 you had last year. Democrat screams the evil Republicans cut off our funding and children will die! Or instead of $5.00 you get $2.50 increase ot 102.50 so they claim they cut your budget 50%! (no, we cut your budget INCREASE 50%, not your actual budget).

Of course, leaving out you still have the same $100 you had the previous year.

Or

Is it a true cut... You had $100 budget last year, now your budget is $50.

When most of the public hears of a cut, they are thinking of the latter. However, what is actually happening is the former.

This politicians alledged reaction is why I advocate for an across the board cut and reduction in budgets by a flat 10%. Too many special interests are going to come out and complain about targeted reductions. Just cut EVERY GOD DAMN LINE ITEM by 10%. PERIOD. Military, entitlements, salaries.

If the department heads can't figure out how to make it work with 90% of their budgets, fire them and find some better management.

SICK. OF. THIS. SH*T.
edit on 17-3-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Neither cuts nor increases..

Eliminations of those initiatives in their entirety.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: Edumakated

Neither cuts nor increases..

Eliminations of those initiatives in their entirety.

I have no problem with that... these things should be handled at the state level.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Probably true, the profitability of coal has passed. However, I attribute it as much to the preceding eight years of Obama and his green energy policies as anything.

Obama and Hillary were both on the Global Warming bandwagon which spelled the end of coal and the people who were employed in the industry. Coal is still a cheap and dependable energy source, whether it remains relevant as an energy source remains to be seen.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Trump has already sicked Briebart on the GOP representatives from Appalachia for not shutting up and rolling over..

"Big Government Republicans Rebuke Trump Budget"

While we have a responsibility to reduce our federal deficit, I am disappointed that many of the reductions and eliminations proposed in the President’s skinny budget are draconian, careless and counterproductive,” said Rogers, one of the so-called “cardinals,” the nickname for the lawmakers controlling how federal money is spent.

Rogers said he was concerned about cuts to programs in Kentucky.

“In particular, the Appalachian Regional Commission has a long-standing history of bipartisan support in Congress because of its proven ability to help reduce poverty rates and extend basic necessities to communities across the Appalachian region,” he said. “Today, nearly everyone in the region has access to clean water and sewer, the workforce is diversifying, educational opportunities are improving, and rural technology is finally advancing to 21st Century standards.

www.breitbart.com...< br />

ALL so that Trump can make the most massive Military force on the planet 20% BIGGER...

What do you think comes after that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join