It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's no mental illness

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
a reply to: tony9802

No, you misunderstand my stance.

I'm comparing my want to reality.

Want: That there is no mental illness.

Reality: There seems to be mental illness.

Do you better understand my response through this lens?

Are you saying that you believe you might potentially have a mental illness?

edit on 18-1-2017 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzanbeta

Here is an interesting author to read: Michel Foucault: Discipline and Punish,
and also

Madness & Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason;

he's a French author; passed away a long time ago..
he's a very important philosopher, very important internationally as well..

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

I like your avatar.. it's good to remember who one really is and pictures of ourselves always help us do exactly that,

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Psychiatrist Peter Breggin believes psychiatric drugs cause, not alleviate, chemical imbalances in the brain:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiberateEarth
Psychiatrist Peter Breggin believes psychiatric drugs cause, not alleviate, chemical imbalances in the brain:

www.youtube.com...

They do, they throw serotonin production completely out of balance.

I have felt it and it is extremely unpleasant.

I was thrown into a mania and I believe serotonin syndrome by following doctors orders and mixing multiple sertongenic drugs.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
OH NO
this thread was inevitable
goodbye to ats motto "deny ignorance"

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

I didn't say that it can't be or hasn't been accepted by society; however, it is wrong to suggest that all forms of homosexuality are normal, naturally occurring and should just be carte blanche accepted by society.

Jaden

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman
Next to military regimes and educational institutions, the

Why do people keep supporting this criminal mental health practice? The current system in general?

Oh yes there are mental illnesses.

In fact your state legislature creates these disorder for people.

I had a friend in high school who developed bipolar disorder.

And yet your state legislature has yet to develop a program to either one rehabilitate offenders versus just locking them up and then releasing them when their time is served or determining whether they aren't really capable of self-control and keeping them locked up versus and empathic person who was victimized and made a one time mistake and should probably do minimal time behind bars and be seen by a therapist.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

I like your avatar.. it's good to remember who one really is and pictures of ourselves always help us do exactly that,

Ironically, looking at myself is actually very confusing. I don't feel like I look like me. Of course, that's irrational, but it is what it is.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the philosopher.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'm actually posting this reply from a mental illness ward. My experience so far. I see people here who appear to have some mental affliction. Which as best I can tell or find out. Has been caused by drug use socially. That or some in-patients appear to have forms of autism. With all the doctor patient privacy in place. It's hard to know exactly why they are here unless you ask them.

I have one woman I talk to here, who basically claims. It's a culmination of her ex partner/an a PR Company. That essentially have been core proponents in her ending up here. That and the multiple staffed wards she has been in. Having staff "intentionally" fabricate her notated words or events in there to keep her within these type of places.

All I can say on her behalf. Is I haven't seen her be problematic towards staff in the time I've been here. An once they actually reduced some of her medication dosages. She has been far more capable at expressing herself both in punctual/verbal coherence. She is still adamant about those who she believes conspired against her.

As for my experience. I have been on venlafexine for 4 months. Haven't noticed a change other than the physical affects on the sexual organs. I was diagnosed with depression. I take 300mg daily. In the last 2 weeks they have augmented that with night medication. Matrazapine (it mixed with my main medication is known as CALIFORNIA ROCKET FUEL). Only thing it appears to have affected are my dreams. Dreams being longer, more vivid, greater in scape.

If there is anything that should be greatly criticised in treating mental illness. It's ECT.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Amdusias

You can keep your phone there?

Odd.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well at the previous hospital I couldn't. I could use it if it was necessary (rent transfer and supervised while using my phone). Then I was transferred to a hospital closer to home. I thought it just as odd when I was told I could keep it on me. It's apparently only been allowed the past 6 months. Even so dependent upon your reason for admission may affect that.

I'm here under an involuntary treatment order. So again still surprised. It helps given there isn't a great deal to do here. Given the conscious state of most of the inpatients, I can't gain much in the way of conversations. At least here at this hospital the doctors have made the effort to give me information on my current medications and or possible ones to be tried.

Otherwise I've relied on since having my phone back to research as much as possible. I even said in front of the doctors in regards to ECT. That there is nothing evidence based to prove or advocate it works. It shows in the way they word it's reasoning for use. I'm in Australia by the way. Queensland health panflet stated that "doctors knew as early as the 1920's that electro-shock was effective in treating patients, even without knowing exactly how it works"

That's paraphrasing what's in the panflet. It's the first form of medical treatment I've come across where I can't find any publicly accessible data to effectively prove its a practical, effective form of treatment. If anything it does damage, causing memory loss. The doctors did not attempt to correct my statement at all, rather an awkward silence. Then being asked if I had questions about anything else.

edit on 18-1-2017 by Amdusias because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2017 by Amdusias because: Filled in missing text

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: supermilkman

As someone who grew up watching my mother battle manic depression going in and out of mental asylums and having ECT and then many years later went on to live with a real paranoid schizophrenic for 3 years who i loved very much and i can tell you without any doubt whatsoever that mental illness is very very real.

I had seen my ex have episodes where she would suddenly and rapidly cycle through several personalities in the space of 30 mins ranging from violent to what could only be described as a little girl. These weren't 'moods' they were radically different personalities with different methods of speech. It used to scare the hell out of me when it happened because i never used to know when it was going to stop. Luckily i was always able to keep each one of these personalities engaged and distracted while making sure she didnt go into a paranoid feedback loop. They usually started with her complaining that she was getting hot and then suddenly she would be screaming about burning up before suddenly changing into some aggressive extravert (which is totally the opposite from her quiet, slightly nervous and loving personality). Then she would slide into a calmer person who had just worked out everyone was some kind of alien or organization plotting against her. In the final stage she would usually just pass out and then wake up with only a faint feeling that 'something had happened'. Sometimes she would be able to remember for a few seconds what she had said but then it all faded away like a dream. She would usually be really embarrassed about it and start worrying about what she had said or done. But it never bothered me, I was always just happy to have her back again and safe.

Other time though I could just get a really nasty text from her freaking out accusing me of something and because I wasn't with her I had no way to talk her down. Those time used to bother me a lot because all I could do was just hope she was safe and wait for her to calm down and then get back in touch with me. 99% of the time she was the nicest, kindest person on the face of the earth but when stress or paranoia would build up into some kind of loop then she was like no one id ever met.

edit on 19-1-2017 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Spoken like a true Scientologist.

All hail L. Ron Hubbard!

Pure, unadulterated crap.

I'm out. But please have a terrific day!!

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Yeah, sorry OP, but mental illnesses are very real. As others above have said.

As indeed we witness here on this board sometimes from people who clearly need help but aren't getting it.

I think it's quite dangerous to suggest these conditions aren't real, as the sufferers need all the sympathy and support they can get.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
As with most things, it's a mixture of truth and lies. There are absolutely many genuine cases of mental illness, but because it's big business and so easily manipulated, there is a lot of abuse. So many can gain and who's to really argue they're "wrong" when it's largely opinion based "medicine"?

One of the saddest things I've witnessed personally is seeing someone who's obviously manic and begging for a sedative because they know enough about themselves to try to calm things down and watching the doctor walk out of the room, gather some colleagues, and they all sat down in a row to silently observe the patient degrade further.

I was there a few minutes on another matter and couldn't take it anymore, I looked at the doctors and told all of them "You should be ashamed of yourselves". Of the four present, only a young female (doctor I presume) showed any emotion whatsoever. You can argue all you want how this is beneficial to further understand whatever condition, but I'm not buying into that. The first concern should be the welfare of the patient, NOT the education of these "doctors".

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I'm going to guess you've been diagnosed as schizophrenic or schizoaffective and you've decided to reject it because you KNOW the voices you hear or the things you see are "real".

Nope. They're not.

People are complicated. So there's not some easy blood test or set of questions to be asked that 100% says you are schizophrenic. But it's the sort of thing that becomes obvious the more someone interacts with you. It's pretty common that you don't agree, but if you're seeing ninjas or hearing voices out of the sink drain, you aren't exhibiting a heightened awareness or superior senses, you're schizophrenic.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

It isn't HATE ,it's only a TOOL.
Hate would actually LEAVE me no choice BUT to attack and kill ,completely cloud martial judgement and BOOM you have Abu Grabe,messy crime scenes and ah...I ain't THAT kind of coward or pussy ,WE as YOUR military are YOUR sin eaters.

At one point, the VA actually did something that made sense. They screwed around for a brief shining moment with a concept then known as "the Safe Buddy". The idea was that you could train up interested vets who had been in similar situations who could act as confidants, neither family nor psychiatrists, who would listen, talk to, hang out with, and evaluate people with PTSD, service associated mental illness etc and not be seen as a fink or a finger pointer.

The caveats were that you had to take a lot of psych courses and do some practical work at a mental facility to learn how to assess and evaluate.

A few of us did it. Me included. It worked. And of course, since it worked, it was discontinued. But it had great success while it was going on.

I can't count the number of times I spent "camping" when some of my former bros-in-arms needed to just get away from people. Or the calls I got (or still do) when someone was seeing 'gooks' in the treeline or was behind the grocery store with a rifle or whatnot. But that's ok. It was worth doing. I was real surprised when they canned it. I shouldn't have been, I suppose. But it was effective.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wtf, you ever been with someone who unbuckles their seatbelt and jumps out of your car, cuts themself, wants to die? Someone clinically depressed, schizophrenic, unable to function? How about someone trully manic not just "happy?" they destroy their lives, their relationships, their careers.
Your talking about two different things The mental health industry and mental illness.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I've been there myself.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join