It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's no mental illness

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Also a lot of homophobia seems to come from guys that have closet homosexual undertones.

Why is it such a big deal to you that someone is homosexual? Why do you have to demonize it or make it your life mission to consider it "evil?"

Maybe you should look in the mirror first?

As they say, when you point fingers you got three pointed right back at you.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
a reply to: tony9802

One guy decides that to live is to suffer and you lose your mind!

Why would anyone want to BE convinced that they have a mental illness? Why would anyone want to defend that?

I think That's crazy.

I would much prefer to know that I'm sane and that I'm just having a hard time.

I've only ever been called crazy. Being called sane would be a welcome relief!

I think you might be trying to respond to the other gentleman, the Virginia Vet..
I'm the other guy, the one who defends homosexuals..and who offered an opinion about the use of spiritual counselors or priests in exorcism for some individuals suffering from purported "mental illness". Many priests are very open minded..many of them are even gay.. as a sidenote i just need to add that Robert De Niro's father was actually gay...isn't that interesting; i think i'm writing this so that people know that not everything about catholicism and not everything about priests is bad..much of it is open minded and progressive;

Idrasweb stated that he had met disorders that involved profane voices, instances of "sexual assault", and in many instances that constitutes demonic attack..if not satellite terrorism..for all we know it could be the NSA, DOD, CIA creating all of these mental issues for people..look up Lauren Moret on mind control, and also, Dr. John T Hall, or Robert Duncan insider.. it's real and the government to be the cause of much of the creation of "mental disorder".

I still can't believe ATS has placed this thread into skunkworks..the moderators are so pathetic.. this thread is excellent..

Speaking of mind control, check out these papers that were used in the Manchurian Candidate.

Manchurian Candidate

Here are the real life official papers that was used verbatim for the dialogue in Manchurian Candidate.
scholar.google.com.au...,5
scholar.google.com.au...,5
scholar.google.com.au...

Here's a video of ELF's (extremely low frequencies). Put headphones on and listen to it. WARNING: it's disorienting.

Militaries have used them for years as non-lethal weapons.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: supermilkman

It isn't HATE ,it's only a TOOL.
Hate would actually LEAVE me no choice BUT to attack and kill ,completely cloud martial judgement and BOOM you have Abu Grabe,messy crime scenes and ah...I ain't THAT kind of coward or pussy ,WE as YOUR military are YOUR sin eaters.
Emotions are NOT a part of attacking and killing if YOU want to LIVE ,being it's actor.ONLY control.
It's a tool the wrong mindset cannot grasp use or fathom as they have NOTHING of war inside.
I always have.
I'm sanity as established by the head of Denver VA psychiatry,policemen I know and My second wife actually WANTS to stay...don't know WHY.

Can relate to what you say here.

Everyone wants burgers, but no one wants to be v the butcher.

Reminds me of Chris Tucker from Rush Hour 2. Carter says he likes his chickens dead, not alive. The woman proceeds to kill the chicken when he threatens her if she doesn't let the chicken live. Ha!

If it's right before their eyes, it's an unspeakable act. But when it is on the dinner plate, it's a blessing.

Don't do onto others what you don't want to happen to you.

As for cavtrooper I understand that the military/police is suppose to be a safety net to protect the people (even from themselves) but many of the wars are unjustified. You're not protecting people by invading other countries, you're doing the complete opposite.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Hi Tarzan,

Well, if you feel uncomfortable discussing then i don't want to pry or push you any further.
I hear what you're saying though; it doesn't sound like bipolar in some senses. I think we're too quick to label (for convenience) and individual human experience is far too diverse to realistically have just a handful of catch-all terms. It's woefully inadequate really.

I met a chap once that i would have described as 'uni-polar'. He was ALWAYS 'high'. He laughed all the time, felt he was an amazing person, had loads of energy, felt he could achieve anything, was always taking credit for new inventions that came out (even though he'd never even picked up a pencil let alone a screwdriver) and was just on top of the world. He also ran afoul of the law a couple of times, got into ridiculous amounts of debt, never had any money to look after himself and neglected himself as a result but, he was super happy and none of that bothered HIM at all. He would often say "why would i want to take my medication, they make me feel less happy!" I have to say, i struggled to give him a decent answer

I'd say crazy is when the person isn't grounded with reality. Lying is also not an illness, it's more of a moral issue.

Sometimes mental illnesses are diagnosed to people that are not responsible.
Not responsible = mentally ill.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   
edit on 1/20/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman

originally posted by: Indigent
You probably have not seen someone smearing their own stools on the walls while scratching their heads with the other hand to the point the skull is exposed...

Those are behavioral problems, not mental illness.

Aaaand that is where i stopped trying to do my best to take this thread serious at all anymore.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Lying is also not an illness, it's more of a moral issue.

www.psychologytoday.com...

One of Szasz’s basic arguments is that mental illness is a myth. He was highly critical of the so-called medical model for understanding human struggles and difficulties. He saw the uses of diagnostic systems (such as the DSM) as wrongly implying the presence of actual disease. Furthermore, he saw such efforts as medicalizing moralityand the typical dilemmas and struggles of human life.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

a reply to: dreamingawake

Psychiatric medicine has no value. In fact many of them are narcotics and have been found to be pharmacologically related to opiates and even mescaline.

That's very interesting..do you happen to have more information about this, which medication (respirdal, prozac, etc..),

It would be neat to learn a bit more about it all.. and certainly about the side effects of the opiates and mescaline;
nice thread..

It will be hard to find again but I found out years ago that the anti-depressant Celexa is similar to mescaline and opioids.

Here are common side effects to psych medicine.

- ADHD medicine Adderal (amphetamine) side effects:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

At normal therapeutic doses, the physical side effects of amphetamine vary widely by age and from person to person. Cardiovascular side effects can include hypertension or hypotension from a vasovagal response, Raynaud's phenomenon (reduced blood flow to extremities), and tachycardia (increased heart rate).

Sexual side effects in males may include erectile dysfunction, frequent erections, or prolonged erections. Abdominal side effects may include abdominal pain, appetite loss, nausea, and weight loss. Other potential side effects include blurred vision, dry mouth, excessive grinding of the teeth, nosebleed, profuse sweating, rhinitis medicamentosa (drug-induced nasal congestion), reduced seizure threshold, and tics (a type of movement disorder ...

Common psychological effects of therapeutic doses can include increased alertness, apprehension, concentration, decreased sense of fatigue, mood swings (elated mood followed by mildly depressed mood), increased initiative, insomnia or wakefulness, self-confidence, and sociability. Less common side effects include anxiety, change in libido, grandiosity, irritability, repetitive or obsessive behaviors, and restlessness; these effects depend on the user's personality and current mental state. Amphetamine psychosis (e.g., delusions and paranoia) can occur in heavy users. Although very rare, this psychosis can also occur at therapeutic doses during long-term therapy. - wikipedia

- ADHD medicine Ritalin (methylphenidate - stimulant) side effects:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

The most commonly observed adverse effects with a frequency greater than placebo include appetite loss, dry mouth, anxiety/nervousness, nausea, and insomnia. Gastrointestinal adverse effects may include abdominal pain and weight loss.

Nervous system adverse effects may include akathisia (agitation/restlessness), irritability, dyskinesia (tics), lethargy (drowsiness/fatigue), and dizziness. Cardiac adverse effects may include palpitations, changes in blood pressure and heart rate (typically mild), and tachycardia (rapid resting heart rate).

Ophthalmologic adverse effects may include blurred vision and dry eyes, with less frequent reports of diplopia and mydriasis. Other adverse effects may include depression, emotional lability, confusion, and bruxism. Hyperhidrosis (increased sweating) is common. Chest pain is rarely observed.

There is some evidence of mild reductions in growth rate with prolonged treatment in children, but no causal relationship has been established and reductions do not appear to persist long-term. Hypersensitivity (including skin rash, urticaria, and fever) is sometimes reported. The Daytrana patch has a much higher rate of dermal reactions than oral methylphenidate.

Methylphenidate can worsen psychosis in psychotic patients, and in very rare cases it has been associated with the emergence of new psychotic symptoms. It should be used with extreme caution in patients with bipolar disorder due to the potential induction of mania or hypomania.

There have been very rare reports of suicidal ideation, but evidence does not support a link. Logorrhea is occasionally reported. Libido disorders, disorientation, and hallucinations are very rarely reported. Priapism is a very rare adverse event that can be potentially serious. - wikipedia

- Anti-depressant Prozac (fluoxetine) have these side effects'

Common side effects include trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, dry mouth, rash, and abnormal dreams. Serious side effects include serotonin syndrome, mania, seizures, an increased risk of suicidal behavior in people under 25 years old, and an increased risk of bleeding. If stopped suddenly a withdrawal syndrome may occur with anxiety, dizziness, and changes in sensation.

In 2007 the FDA required all antidepressants to carry a black box warning stating that antidepressants may increase the risk of suicide in people younger than 25. This warning is based on statistical analyses conducted by two independent groups of FDA experts that found a 2-fold increase of the suicidal ideation and behavior in children and adolescents, and 1.5-fold increase of suicidality in the 18–24 age group.

The suicidality was slightly decreased for those older than 24, and statistically significantly lower in the 65 and older group. - wikipedia

- Ativan (benzodiazepine) side effects:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

The effects of lorazepam (agitation reducer/sleep inducer, muscle relaxant, anxiety reducer, inhibitor of new memory formation) may be considered as adverse or side effects if unwanted.

Adverse effects can include sedation and low blood pressure; the effects of lorazepam are increased in combination with other CNS depressant drugs. Other adverse effects include confusion, ataxia, inhibiting the formation of new memories, and hangover effects. With long-term benzodiazepine use it is unclear whether cognitive impairments fully return to normal after stopping lorazepam use; cognitive deficits persist for at least six months after withdrawal, but longer than six months may be required for recovery of cognitive function.

Lorazepam appears to have more profound adverse effects on memory than other benzodiazepines; it impairs both explicit and implicit memory. In the elderly, falls may occur as a result of benzodiazepines. Adverse effects are more common in the elderly, and they appear at lower doses than in younger patients. Benzodiazepines can cause or worsen depression.

Paradoxical effects can also occur, such as worsening of seizures, or paradoxical excitement; paradoxical excitement is more likely to occur in the elderly, children, those with a history of alcohol abuse, and in people with a history of aggression or anger problems. Lorazepam's effects are dose-dependent, meaning the higher the dose, the stronger the effects (and side effects) will be. Using the smallest dose needed to achieve desired effects lessens the risk of adverse effects.

Sedation is the side effect people taking lorazepam most frequently report. In a group of around 3,500 patients treated for anxiety, the most common side effects complained of from lorazepam were sedation (15.9%), dizziness (6.9%), weakness (4.2%), and unsteadiness (3.4%). Side effects such as sedation and unsteadiness increased with age. Cognitive impairment, behavioural disinhibition and respiratory depression as well as hypotension may also occur.... -wiki

I'll post more hold on.

edit on 20-1-2017 by supermilkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: Indigent
You probably have not seen someone smearing their own stools on the walls while scratching their heads with the other hand to the point the skull is exposed...

Those are behavioral problems, not mental illness.

Aaaand that is where i stopped trying to do my best to take this thread serious at all anymore.

Read the side effects to the medication genius. The side effects are causing the "symptoms" of the illness.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Lying is also not an illness, it's more of a moral issue.

www.psychologytoday.com...

One of Szasz’s basic arguments is that mental illness is a myth. He was highly critical of the so-called medical model for understanding human struggles and difficulties. He saw the uses of diagnostic systems (such as the DSM) as wrongly implying the presence of actual disease. Furthermore, he saw such efforts as medicalizing moralityand the typical dilemmas and struggles of human life.

Yes, I've been reading about Thomas Szasz. He's another mental health worker turned anti-psychiatry.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   

continued from last post:

Lorazepam side effects
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Paradoxical effects are more likely to occur with higher doses, in patients with pre-existing personality disorders and those with a psychiatric illness. Frustrating stimuli may trigger such reactions, though the drug may have been prescribed to help the patient cope with such stress and frustration in the first place. As paradoxical effects appear to be dose-related, they usually subside on dose reduction or on complete withdrawal of lorazepam.

Suicidality: Benzodiazepines may sometimes unmask suicidal ideation in depressed patients, possibly through disinhibition or fear reduction. The concern is that benzodiazepines may inadvertently become facilitators of suicidal behavior.[verification needed]. Therefore, lorazepam should not be prescribed in high doses or as the sole treatment in depression, but only with an appropriate antidepressant[specify].

Amnesic effects: Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has relatively strong amnesic effects, but patients soon develop tolerance to this with regular use. To avoid amnesia (or excess sedation) being a problem, the initial total daily lorazepam dose should not exceed 2 mg. This also applies to use for night sedation. Five participants in a sleep study were prescribed lorazepam 4 mg at night, and the next evening, three subjects unexpectedly volunteered memory gaps for parts of that day, an effect that subsided completely after two to three days' use.

Amnesic effects cannot be estimated from the degree of sedation present, since the two effects are unrelated.
High-dose or prolonged parenterally administered lorazepam is sometimes associated with propylene glycol poisoning. - wikipedia

- Resperidone (antipsychotic) side effects
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Common side effects include movement problems, sleepiness, trouble seeing, constipation, and increased weight.

Serious side effects may include the potentially permanent movement disorder tardive dyskinesia, as well as neuroleptic malignant syndrome, an increased risk of suicide, and high blood sugar levels.

In older people with psychosis as a result of dementia it may increase the risk of dying. It is unclear if it is safe for use in pregnancy. Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic. Its mechanism of action is not entirely clear, but is believed to be related to its action as a dopamine antagonist. - wikipedia

- Depakote (valproate) side effects:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Most common adverse effects include: Nausea (22%), Drowsiness (19%), Dizziness (12%), Vomiting (12%),, Weakness (10%).

Serious adverse effects include:Bleeding, Low blood platelets, Encephalopathy, Suicidal behavior and thoughts, Low body temperature.

Valproic acid has a black box warning for hepatotoxicity, pancreatitis, and fetal abnormalities.There is evidence that valproic acid may cause premature growth plate ossification in children and adolescents, resulting in decreased height.

Valproic acid can also cause mydriasis, a dilation of the pupils. There is evidence that shows valproic acid may increase the chance of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in women with epilepsy or bipolar disorder. Studies have shown this risk of PCOS is higher in women with epilepsy compared to those with bipolar disorder.

Valproate causes birth defects; exposure during pregnancy is associated with about three times as many major abnormalities as usual, mainly spina bifida with the risks being related to the strength of medication used and use of more than one drug.

More rarely, with several other defects, possibly including a "valproate syndrome". Characteristics of this valproate syndrome include facial features that tend to evolve with age, including a triangle-shaped forehead, tall forehead with bifrontal narrowing, epicanthic folds, medial deficiency of eyebrows, flat nasal bridge, broad nasal root, anteverted nares, shallow philtrum, long upper lip and thin vermillion borders, thick lower lip and small downturned mouth.

While developmental delay is usually associated with altered physical characteristics (dysmorphic features), this is not always the case. - wikipedia

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

- Geodon (Ziprasidone) side effects:

Ziprasidone received a black box warning due to increased mortality in elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis.

Sleepiness and headache are very common adverse effects (>10%).

Common adverse effects (1–10%), include producing too much saliva or having dry mouth, runny nose, respiratory disorders or coughing, nausea and vomiting, stomach aches, constipation or diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight gain (but the smallest risk for weight gain compared to other antipsychotics, rashes, fast heart beats, blood pressure falling when standing up quickly, muscle pain, weakness, twitches, dizziness, and anxiety.

Extrapyramidal symptoms are also common and include tremor, dystonia (sustained or repetitive muscle contractions), akathisia (the feeling of a need to be in motion), parkinsonism, and muscle rigidity; in a 2013 meta-analysis of 15 antipsychotic drugs, ziprasidone ranked 8th for such side effects.

Ziprasidone is known to cause activation into mania in some bipolar patients.

This medication can cause birth defects, according to animal studies, although this side effect has not been confirmed in humans.

Recently, the FDA required the manufacturers of some atypical antipsychotics to include a warning about the risk of hyperglycemia and Type II diabetes with atypical antipsychotics. Some evidence suggests that ziprasidone does not cause insulin resistance to the degree of other atypical antipsychotics, such as Zyprexa...

In December 2014, the FDA warned that ziprasidone could cause a potentially fatal skin reaction, Drug Reaction with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms, although this was believed to occur only rarely. - wikipedia

All of the medicine is toxic!

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gabewalker
Your argument is with the profession of psychiatry. As with any profession they have an association that defines thdie profession, determines their scope of practice and ethics.
For them to set themselves apart from "just a" psychologist or counselor they need to prescribe medications.
There is the problem.... There is no evidence of neurotransmitter deficiency syndrome (serotonin, nor epi, etc.) as cause for any mental illness.
SSRI's, NSRI's, anti-psychotics, etc, do nothing.
There is no way to determine neurotransmitter levels in the brain, even the pharma co. knows this. They use "could be, possibly," in their documents.
As for SSRI's there is no other medication that treats so many disorders/conditions; depression, schizophernia, PMS, personality disorders, anxiety disorders, behavioral disorders, etc.
That's your argument, not that there's no mental illness. As a health care professional, until you've seen someone who will do anything to kill themselves, cut off their dick, cannot function in society, Wil kill you to kill themselves, you don't know what your talking about.

There's still no mental illness.

Suicidal behavior is immolation.

Immolation is common in oppressive governments and with impoverished people that feel like there is no hope for a better future. The act of suicide and self-imposed immolation becomes a statement, a cry for help, an act of martyrdom when a person has been pushed beyond their limit.

Society is messed up which is why people are not always mentally healthy.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

In martial arts, screaming is a cry for help. The idea is that screaming is a desperate attempt for God to save them.

It's unrelated to the topic but it's something to think about.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Shout

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Whoa yeah like I wish i had a banana tree I could scream at and then hack to death. Cool!

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Pray tell what are you being treated for , an extreme case of idiocy , terminal stupid , non existent compassion . Come and live in my world . What was it Einstein said ,

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Even you must admit you have been repeating yourself . Welcome to the club .

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: gabewalker
a reply to: Riffrafter

There's organizations outside of the VA that do this as well.
The VA is a broken, bloated system way past a top down change in leadership.

I agree. It's a national disgrace. And it's not even a money issue per se, it's how the money that is allocated to the VA is currently spent.

I really believed that Trump could have hit a grand slam is if he did this:

Sinise cares, is very, very smart, and has already done and continues to do *so* much for our veterans.

Trump really missed a golden opportunity here. And I bet Gary would have taken on the task for no salary to boot.

[sigh]

Politicians are crooked. They're not going to help veterans. They're the problem to begin with.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Pray tell what are you being treated for , an extreme case of idiocy , terminal stupid , non existent compassion . Come and live in my world . What was it Einstein said ,

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Even you must admit you have been repeating yourself . Welcome to the club .

Sometimes people repeat themselves when something important needs to be addressed.

Emergency Broadcast Systems are used to warn the populace of something important and often repeat messages throughout the day.

"Warning, there is a tornado heading into the immediate area. All residents are advised to evacuate. Warning there is a tornado heading into the area. All residents are advised to evacuate. "

EAS broadcast

I think I've also posted enough evidence showing that there's no mental illness and that medicine is actually dangerous.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I think I've also posted enough evidence showing that there's no mental illness and that medicine is actually dangerous.

Are you sure?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join