It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions’ Coming War on Legal Marijuana

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Not only is this a legal Marijuana issue, and I think there will be issues with Medical Marijuana as well, but this is a Federal vs States rights. If a states population overwhelmingly votes in favor Marijuana Legalization, and the Federal Government goes after them, that's a big problem.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

It will impact the thousands of people who now earn a living (legally) in the business.

No it won't. They'll make more money selling it illegally. Just like prostitutes make money illegally.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

It will impact the thousands of people who now earn a living (legally) in the business.

No it won't. They'll make more money selling it illegally. Just like prostitutes make money illegally.

How is that supposed to work when the fed closes the doors to their dispensaries/grow operations that are public record since they had to be disclosed to be opened? Magic?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Did you get the memo that it's already illegal at the federal level?

Did you get the memo that, when the Dems had full control over Congress and the White House, that they did nothing about marijuana legalization?

You're just fear mongering, and that's it. He's not going to do anything different than is already there. Hell, Obama's folks in the DEA just recently reinforced that they're not removing marijuana off of the Schedule I list. Stop pretending like Trump's administration is suddenly going to go all heavy hand whereas it wasn't under Obama.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Trump ha said he will let the states decide. So its not up to the guy he appointed. I imagine sessions will be reigned in as soon as he gets negative publicity.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

". . .safer and healthier than alcohol. . ."

Yet still unsafe and unhealthy. This is like pouring salt on a turd because you think a salted turd will taste better than a turd with no salt.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Look. I have problems with the way that Obama handled this. Like not just saying "screw you" to the DEA and ordering them to reschedule, BUT to look at one administration and pretend like it will be comparable in practice to the previous is just folly. For one, most of Trump's appeal is that he isn't Obama. Why would he carry over the same policies as him on something like this?

I may be fear mongering, but you can't say that I'm not bringing up legitimate worries. Your dismissal sure didn't answer my concern in the OP.

Anyone got anything to say to put my fears at rest?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

a reply to: Assassin82

". . .safer and healthier than alcohol. . ."

Yet still unsafe and unhealthy. This is like pouring salt on a turd because you think a salted turd will taste better than a turd with no salt.

Er... If it was unsafe and unhealthy people wouldn't be using it for medicine. So question. How many people have died from a cannabis overdose? "Unsafe and unhealthy" is outdated drug war rhetoric. Even if you single out that people primarily smoke it, you can always shoot back that it can easily be ingested or vaporized these days.

Comparing alcohol to marijuana only shows how unsafe alcohol really is since they are completely in different leagues when it comes to safety and health.
edit on 5-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
I live in Colorado and very much appreciate being able to purchase legally. if trump or sessions hurt this wonderful new freedom in any way, i'll be protesting. bigly.

bringing jobs back... yeah right. we can't go backwards.

Imagine that... The go-to alternative for snowflakes that don't get their way.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
a reply to: RedDragon

If it was Dope, I'd understand this thought.

However it helps me eat, not feel a constant pain when I eat and digest my food. To me that sounds an awful lot like a medicine.

Especially when anti-nausea meds they give to cancer patients didn't work and I started to lose 40% of my body mass.

We make medicine from plants and why this plant has been illegal and treated worse than Booze which has killed more and ruined more lives than guns have is only a measure to how uneducated and unwilling people are to look past their own nose and minds and see reality in front of them.

It's there, you can convince yourself it isn't but reality will sooner or later kick the arse of those who remain blind.

----

Not to mention, our country can benefit from the legalization of weed via the jobs, revenue and taxes it will bring in. Please tell me what will happen if a nation that has over 50% of its population that smokes or uses the illegal weed suddenly had that weed legalized?

Then we'd have even more irresponsible people driving under the influence.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

terpene: specific individual cannabinoid

The thing is that specifically extracted cannabinoids can be dangerous. Marinol is "synthetic" THC not plant-derived at all. It is known for greatly increasing the risks of heart attacks. They had better be careful extracting specific terpenes from the plant, as it could have unpredictable side-effects.

I believe the plant is balanced, but the person has to find the plant that has the terpenes that they MOST need. For example: Type 2 diabetics that have appetite problems and overeat can get relief from Cannabis. There are specific types that are very high in a terpene known as THCV. There have been many studies on it. They say that it acts as an appetite suppressant, and may have other anti-diabetic effects.

THCV contrary to THC suppresses appetite. I believe that there could be remedies to help every person. Rick Simpson's oil that is high in CBD could help people with preventing seizures, and that terpene is non-psychotropic. It appears commonly in Hemp, which has negligible amounts of the psychotropic terpenes.

The reason the plant is illegal is because of Richard Nixon's commission which decided it was a "dangerous drug with no known medical benefits. The medical industry has proven that as a HOAX!

If people point to how the plant can reduce medical costs and let the president know, I believe it could make a difference. I compare President Trump to JFK in a lot of ways - only he has the internet! He's not what I would call a neoconservative Republican. He indeed has many liberal ideas. I think that he is going to do what is best for the economy, and get the IMF and China off off our backs.

The interest to the bankers is about to subdue Japan, and the USA is in line with those countries. I predict that he could have us at less than 4 trillion in debt, with his Made in the USA and health remediation plans (cure disease!) and energy plans.

With regards to the oil pipeline that is strongly contested, that would lower the cost of fuel further. It might allow America to rebuild those 70,000 factories that we've heard about. He needs to point out how the pipeline will help America become oil independent, and start opening up more economical and oil-free solutions. Time will tell.
edit on 12/5/2016 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: LSU0408

Hyperbole aside, do you REALLY think that is a good thing? Sure I or other stoners could get away with it, but what about the people who have started businesses in the legal market? They have already dedicated their names and reputations to these ventures. They can't go hide in the woodwork again once the hammer falls. Or do you not care about them?

Why can't they get an education, if they don't have one, and a real job? One that doesn't involve selling illegal drugs. The first marijuana store opened nearly 3 years ago. It's not like it's too late to shut this down.

or

Would you be willing to agree that all issues from here on should be left up to each state?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I'm not trying to put your fears to rest--my whole point, though, is that we're not going to see much change. It's still illegal because of Obama's lack of action, it's still going to be illegal when Trump comes into office.

That said, since it's already illegal at the federal level, I don't see Sessions doing much different, unless he goes after the states that legalized it and wastes my federal tax dollars in doing so.

But, hey, if it's folly to try and compare a future administration to the current one, why is it better to pretend that you can see the future in regards to what Sessions will do handling the legality or enforcement of the illegality of the drug?

Both are speculation and impossible to prove at this moment. All I can say to, at the very least, postpone your fears is to say that worrying before anything happens about something that you can't change is a lesson in futility--just wait to see what happens before getting too worried about it.

ETA: Also, if you are questioning why Trump would carry over an Obama policy, then you should be a tad more optimistic that he might actually have it legalized, since Obama refused to.
edit on 5-12-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Hyperbole aside, do you REALLY think that is a good thing? Sure I or other stoners could get away with it, but what about the people who have started businesses in the legal market? They have already dedicated their names and reputations to these ventures. They can't go hide in the woodwork again once the hammer falls. Or do you not care about them?

Why can't they get an education, if they don't have one, and a real job? One that doesn't involve selling illegal drugs. The first marijuana store opened nearly 3 years ago. It's not like it's too late to shut this down.

You make it sound like selling marijuana is some public decency problem.

Would you be willing to agree that all issues from here on should be left up to each state?

I'm actually curious to see if the Trump administration will even holdup States' rights grievances here since this is more of a liberal political position despite it crossing partisan lines.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
I live in Colorado and very much appreciate being able to purchase legally. if trump or sessions hurt this wonderful new freedom in any way, i'll be protesting. bigly.

bringing jobs back... yeah right. we can't go backwards.

Imagine that... The go-to alternative for snowflakes that don't get their way.

Imagine that.....the go-to (calling someone snowflake) for the uneducated that can't think for themselves.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Why can't the coal belt get an education and new jobs?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

1st off, you quote all of that an only had a half of sentence to add? Why even bother?

And I believe you misunderstood the whole question.

Because if you legalize something that already more than 50% of the population already does, you kinda won't have anything new happen... Cept that they would be getting much more legit and better quality product that is safer.

Yeah safer, imagine that, kinda like how when we had prohibition we had people buying product that was killing them due to the unregulated nature of it, you know that time when Alcohol was ILLEGAL but people did it anyways and mafia was involved and it got so bad they decided to legalize it...

Funny how Alcohol was basically bullied into legalization but weed is being GASP step by step lawfully changed?

But far be it from me to stop this Anti-Weed population of readers and contributors. Wouldn't want to step on your freedoms like the government has stepped on mine to put a plant that grows out of the ground into my body. I can see how others would be upset because it's somehow their body too?
edit on 5-12-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: to cause mass confusion and happiness

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I'm not trying to put your fears to rest--my whole point, though, is that we're not going to see much change. It's still illegal because of Obama's lack of action, it's still going to be illegal when Trump comes into office.

That said, since it's already illegal at the federal level, I don't see Sessions doing much different, unless he goes after the states that legalized it and wastes my federal tax dollars in doing so.

But, hey, if it's folly to try and compare a future administration to the current one, why is it better to pretend that you can see the future in regards to what Sessions will do handling the legality or enforcement of the illegality of the drug?

Because I DO have Sessions' opinion on the matter and that doesn't spell out a lot of hope for me. Like he isn't even wishy-washy about it. He DOESN'T approve of legal weed.

I'm not the only one who sees this either. MANY people in the industry itself are also worried. And you don't think there is ANY legitimacy to those fears? Sure those fears could be dispelled when we see what actually happens, but they haven't exactly done anything yet to waylay those fears.

Both are speculation and impossible to prove at this moment. All I can say to, at the very least, postpone your fears is to say that worrying before anything happens about something that you can't change is a lesson in futility--just wait to see what happens before getting too worried about it.

If I worry about it now I can start planning out my ways of resisting and making sure my grievances are heard instead of reacting by being blindsided by it.

ETA: Also, if you are questioning why Trump would carry over an Obama policy, then you should be a tad more optimistic that he might actually have it legalized, since Obama refused to.

Ever hear the expression "Expect the worst. That way you won't be disappointed"? Sure Trump could legalize it and that would be a VERY pleasant surprise, but when it comes to government it pays to NEVER look forward to something and with Trump I'm even less sure of the future of our government. So I'll continue to be pessimistic about Sessions until I can get some evidence that I shouldn't be.
edit on 5-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Safer. i.e., like the US Government ceasing its spraying operations on a product they knew their citizens would end up using.

Once sprayed, the "farmers" simply harvested early and sold it anyway. And US officials knew this. Evil bastards.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

or

What on earth makes you think the people owning and running cannabis stores don't have an education? Do you even understand what it takes to set up and run one of these places?

When I hear you talk about your "ideas" on this subject I picture you imagining some skeevy hole in the wall shop with a bunch of crackheads working the counter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join