It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I think we can agree that her books of choice to ban are silly.

I don't know about that.

The Most Commonly Banned Books of All Time

The first purely literary piece to hit the most banned list. Huckleberry Finn is considered a racially insensitive book because of its use of the n-word. The book has been targeted by the NAACP and was a part of a famous law suit Monterio v. The Tempe Union High School. www.bookstr.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Wildbob77
a reply to: RomeByFire

There are always a small minority of HS students who will end up going on to be great people. It is for those students that teachers must teach

Many of the other students will go on to college but will never be great thinkers.

Personally when our kids were in HS we limited gaming to about 30 minutes a day. Our kids turned out great.

Parents need to parent and teachers need to teach

My kid is a story teller.

He's been creating and making his own videos since about age 7.

I review everything. There can be no bad words and nothing controversial in bad taste. Reason is: what ever you put on the internet will be there for life. It can affect your future. I've taught him to keep a writing pad next to him - - - which he can say whatever he wants - - - but, NEVER on the internet.

Reminds me of comedians. I really admire those that can do a clean show. It takes a lot more creativity to present something G rated. Anyone can stand up and say "F" this - - "F" that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, absolutely NO - - - I would not want my kid reading the Original Classics - - until they are older.

So is your child banned from history classes and history books too?

Or do you have some liberal happy slapply history book where everyone gets along and the past is sunshine and rainbows?

OH, THE DRAMA!!!

Is there some need to go to the extreme?

Like this? :

www.newsmax.com...://www.newsmax.com/Parker/Colleges-trigger-Warning-Labels -Books/2014/05/22/id/572791/

Just when you thought American higher learning couldn't get any more ridiculous, along come demands for warning labels on provocative works of literature.

One never knows when a sentence, phrase, or word might trigger some buried memory or traumatic experience. Life is a veritable assault on the excessively sensitive, but somehow most of us muddle through. C'est la vie, after all.

But literature, apparently, is fair game for those tortured souls who fear that some -ism or another might leap from a page, causing what exactly? A moment of discomfort? An opportunity to sort through one's emotional attic? Or, heavens, exposure to an involuntary insight?

Several schools (including Oberlin College, Rutgers University, George Washington University, and the University of Michigan) are toiling with these very questions as students have begun requesting "trigger warnings" on books and syllabuses.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Newsmax is a Right Wing Rag.

They're talking about Colleges - - not minor children.

And apparently, it is the students asking for books to be labeled

Colleges across the country this spring have been wrestling with student requests for what are known as “trigger warnings,” explicit alerts that the material they are about to read or see in a classroom might upset them or, as some students assert, cause symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder in victims of rape or in war veterans. www.nytimes.com...

And, your link doesn't work.

edit on 4-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You know what's ironic if you had actually read to kill a mockingbird you would know your point was covered in the book. Here let's do a literary study I would think go in to full details but Atticus finch was a public defender. He gets a case where a black man I'd being accused of raping a white woman. Not to get into a lot of detail here he's innocent of the charges but us being railroaded by the prosecution. Finch knows this and fights to have him freed. Won't go onto more detail other than say read what happens.

BUT the ironic part like you he tries to protect his young son from being exposed to racism. In the book it doesn't work. He even tries to ban his son from seeing him at trial. That didn't work either he hides in the black section with his friend. But the most ironic part is his son almost dies because he was so worried about exposing him to the ills of the world much like your attempting to do.

In the end finch learns you can't shield your children from reality. A lesson you apparently haven't learned yet.

PS if you haven't read the book then your opinion on it is useless. It's like trying g to recomend a car to someone you never drove. In the end if you want to discuss banning a book you should at least read it first.
edit on 12/4/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

BUT the ironic part like you he tries to protect his young son from being exposed to racism.

Alabama, 1936.

Southern California Beach area 2016

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

In the end finch learns you can't shield your children from reality. A lesson you apparently haven't learned yet.

I'm on my third generation of raising kids. I've got a pretty good handle on it.

Read the book ages ago.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

And yet it offends you probably the most influenciAL novel of the 21st century dealing with racism and it's ills. Just because God forbid it uses a bad word well actually the character in the book does.

I'm on my third generation of raising kids. I've got a pretty good handle on it.

Read the book ages ago.

Finch thought he did to so as we can see trying to see ones own flaws can be difficult. As far as reading the book if you read it then you should understand that this book helped change the way racism was viewed and dare I say even played a role in ending segregation. If it were not for writers like miss Lee bringing racism to the fore front there would still be black and white schools.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

When you hear stories like this when illiterate people get away with their point of view you know that education is not only failing this generation but the generation before last.

What a shame, I bet the women can not differentiate The classics from reality TV either that or she thinks the classics is a dirty word.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

And yet it offends you probably the most influenciAL novel of the 21st century dealing with racism and it's ills. Just because God forbid it uses a bad word well actually the character in the book does.

Read the book ages ago.

Finch thought he did to so as we can see trying to see ones own flaws can be difficult. As far as reading the book if you read it then you should understand that this book helped change the way racism was viewed and dare I say even played a role in ending segregation. If it were not for writers like miss Lee bringing racism to the fore front there would still be black and white schools.

Feel free to read it to your 9 year old.

I won't be reading it to mine.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
If is it offending, it should go.. this is not 1960 when racism is ok in America. Kids are stupid and use this words like its normal to use. Just like in the stupid book.

Isnt it isis flaqs are offencive to some btw?

So books need to go, but rap can stay. I guarantee they learn more from rap than they do reading one of these books.

Dumb logic.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Feel free to read it to your 9 year old. I won't be reading it to mine.

The thing is , its not your 9yo child is it . Why are you making these decision and not the parents .Sounds a little like you are one of those mother/in laws from hell . The parents should make these decisions not you .

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Time to start buying multiple copies of important books, and put them under lock and key. Once this nonsense gets going it could snowball quickly. The indoctrinated generation have kids of their own now. This is what it looks like.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Feel free to read it to your 9 year old. I won't be reading it to mine.

The thing is , its not your 9yo child is it . Why are you making these decision and not the parents .Sounds a little like you are one of those mother/in laws from hell . The parents should make these decisions not you .

You don't know the facts of the matter.

I'm leaving it at that.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

"Real life is real life" ? Then why have you been arguing about wanting to BAN real life?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

One cannot 'modernize' classics. That is censorship. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is taught to 9th graders, normally, and the context of different words is part of the lesson plan.

I am surprised that anyone would think think this is a good idea of any kind.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

What is the title of the Hardy Boys novel? I read practically every single one, and have no recollection of any such language.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

A mechanic can service hundreds of cars, but that does not make him/her a good mechanic. Experience does not equal mastery in other words.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
There was an old phrase that went something like "the tighter you clinch your fist around them, the more will seep through your fingers". Censorship, trying to erase the facts of the past, ignorance of what we have learned are all very bad ideas. Always have been and always will be.

Our society has gotten to where it is through failure, success and learning from them both. Both must be taught as lessons so we learn and contemplate how we have failed before, and hopefully avoid some failures going forward. But without the history, the story, the details...how can that happen? If something was tested before and failed, isn't it important to see and hear that? Isn't it important to know that (for example), Hitler's genocide was a horrible thing and we celebrate its failure?

Yes...children don't need to hear some words until they are older. Of course we protect our children from "evil". But what are you going to do? Make every King and Queen from the past equal to the masses? Erase the fact that blacks were suppressed and called names? Forget there was a time that gays were persecuted?

Why would you want to hide such successes instead of teach them, celebrate them and revel in how far we have come as a species? It may be cliche but...if you forget your past you ARE doomed to repeat it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
While I understand the thinking behind it (very loosely), the outcome is not going to be the one they're expecting. You cannot simply wash away yesterday because it offends today. It happened, and it's the duty of the education system and parents to show future generations that just because it was commonplace it doesn't make it right.

I think they should take up the Warner Brothers approach to this.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
If is it offending, it should go.. this is not 1960 when racism is ok in America. Kids are stupid and use this words like its normal to use. Just like in the stupid book.

Isnt it isis flaqs are offencive to some btw?

I agree with you.

Kids are very impressionable.

They do not need this kind of stuff in their reading material.

The books can be modernized.

Really???? If you modernise a classic, it's no longer a classic. To kill a mockingbird is probably the finest example of American fiction and if it paints a picture that isn't too flattering about attitudes to race in the not too distant past, then the impression should be to remember and vow to not let such sentiments have a place any more.

I'm surprised Annee, I usually find myself agreeing with you but you seem to have a very odd view on this.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join