It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
@Annee

Sorry, I do not want to be rude, but it sounds like autism is the reason for your - at least from my point of view - over protective attitude.

Would it be OK to kill a chicken and do some meal? Or slaughter a lamb and do it all the way to kebab? Millenials are not able to use power drill, what the next - so carefully guarded - (de)generation?
edit on 5-12-2016 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

There are only two ways about it. Forget the past and repeat it, or learn from it and guard ETERNALLY against it.

But, the mistakes of the past are constantly repeated. Knowledge of the past doesn't stop it.

By choice, I live in the now, and look to where I am going - - not where I've been.

If nothing else, I am a realist.

Being a "counted" person in the next generation is going to be a challenge.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You fear for history and literature? Those two books have been the subject of banning controversy for a LONG time. I remember people complaining about the n word in Huck Finn when -I- read it in 7th grade 20-some years ago.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
@Annee

Sorry, I do not want to be rude, but it sounds like autism is the reason for your - at least from my point of view - over protective attitude.

Would it be OK to kill a chicken and do some meal? Or slaughter a lamb and do it all the way to kebab? Millenials are not able to use power drill, what the next - so carefully guarded - (de)generation?

Protective?

This kid taught himself phonetics from computer programs at age 3. He's a creative story teller who makes his own videos. I just bought him a new computer.

I own my own drill and power saw, which I use to build shelves, etc. I've been shooting since I was about 9. I have helped skin a fresh killed deer. I haven't killed a chicken myself, but did the prep work after. Those feathers are a bitch.

Your assumptions are wrong.

Just because I CHOOSE to look and move forward to the future, instead of dwell in the past, you assume I don't know anything?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: DBCowboy

You fear for history and literature? Those two books have been the subject of banning controversy for a LONG time. I remember people complaining about the n word in Huck Finn when -I- read it in 7th grade 20-some years ago.

Yes, they have.

This is nothing new.

And there are already edited versions available.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Hell throw "Catcher in the Rye" onto that banned list and you have the Contemporary American Classics that Americans Hate hit list all in one place.

edit on 5-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Hell throw "Catcher in the Rye" onto that banned list and you have the Contemporary American Classics that Americans Hate hit list all in one place.

Ha! I think its on the list with Lolita.

I just don't think my kid needs to have that kind of thinking in his head at a young age.

I CHOOSE and PREFER - - - his thoughts not even go there. I see no productive purpose in it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Just because I CHOOSE to look and move forward to the future, instead of dwell in the past, you assume I don't know anything?

I'm not asking if you can handle corpse, I'm asking why you are denying this experience to your ward. It is part of live as racism is and will be. Both books are great ways how to engage children in this topic.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Hell throw "Catcher in the Rye" onto that banned list...

I mentioned that one earlier for the numpties frightened by literature.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I'm not asking if you can handle corpse, I'm asking why you are denying this experience to your ward. It is part of live as racism is and will be. Both books are great ways how to engage children in this topic.

What am I denying him?

He does not need that kind of language or thinking in his head. I see no real purpose in it.

I teach him "People are their Heart" - - - you look beyond what you see to who a person is.

I will teach him economical and educational differences. Because that will be the divide of his future.

edit on 5-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

And now I'll be rude: Unicorns farts rainbows

Have a nice day and I wish you all the best.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

And now I'll be rude: Unicorns farts rainbows

Have a nice day and I wish you all the best.

Rude? How about stupid.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I have a 17 year old granddaughter. Does she have any idea what women before her went through? NO. And she doesn't care. She would never put up with what my generation had to (because laws were not in place yet). I feel I've learned more from her then I have from my own past.

So she believes it was always lollipops and rainbows? Great, this explains a lot if this is what a normal 17 is taught. You teach them the suffering of the past so they appreciate the present. It helps when she understands that a woman didn't get to vote, people had to fight for it. Women didn't have careers, they fought for that right. (This counts for women and other minority groups such as blacks & Indians)

THIS is the reason the past is so important. And why is shames me to know that you and others are OK with the youth not knowing it.

edit on 12/5/2016 by Martin75 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

I have a 17 year old granddaughter. Does she have any idea what women before her went through? NO. And she doesn't care. She would never put up with what my generation had to (because laws were not in place yet). I feel I've learned more from her then I have from my own past.

So she believes it was always lollipops and rainbows?

The way some people twist what they read.

She lives today in her world. Simple as that.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

And why is shames me to know that you and others are OK with the youth not knowing it.

I've learned a lot in my 70 years.

No, I do not think the past is as important as Right Now.

Nor do I think it is that important in making CHOICES for the future you will actually be living in.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

And why is shames me to know that you and others are OK with the youth not knowing it.

I've learned a lot in my 70 years.

Nor do I think it is that important in making CHOICES for the future you will actually be living in.

So the right now should not learn about the past?
What is that saying about repeating the same mistakes? Kind of hard if we don't learn about it annee.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

She lives today in her world. Simple as that.

But it isn't her world. She shares it with many others. So it isn't as simple as that.

Point out where I said that past was as important as the future? But you have to know it!!!!

She can't respect what she has if she doesn't know what was done to earn it! THIS is why many are willing to throw away the rights that people fought and died for. They don't know and you are OK with this. SMH

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
talk about OLD news were have you people been for the last 50 years ?
thouse books and uncle toms cabin and a few more besides hace been baned in schools forever .
they were baned when i was in school (we held a protest lol and brought a few in .
and i am 51 lots of baned books here in the land of the not so free

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Well then, by all means, let's just dispense with reading lists altogether becasue someone is always going to whine about some book on the list. FFS.
edit on 12/5/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

It all becomes a bit clearer after you basically let other parents like me know you're a Helicopter(hover) Parent. It explains totally your defense of Hillary the past year. Thanks it all comes out in the wash eventually as my Granny used to say!

P.s. Don't be sad when the kid doesn't do what you say, how you say, or when you say forever, after all it is free will. And once a child deems something was kept from them for various reasons it only makes the child desire it that much more!

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join