It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travellers could use parallel dimensions to visit the past, scientists claim

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter
a reply to: Abysha

Yes! Dark Tower series was so amazing. I never knew king could write like that. Laughed, cried, and fell in love with those characters. Never thought I would read 7 books like that in a row but damn I couldn't put em down if I tried. Haven't really read much of his recent stuff.

And for the other poster who mentioned Callahan, i agree, an awesome subtle touch. Just like I'd imagine there to be very subtle differences between parallel realities.

Now let me pop this can of nozz-a-la cola and look for the keys to my takuro spirit! Sh!t I'm in the wrong dimension. Time to go todash!
edit on 30-11-2016 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I learned today that the dark tower movie is actually supposed to come out in a couple months sometime in February!

It looks like it might be good with a high budget and good actors.

I'm excited but is going to be extremely hard if even possible to do the books justice.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What I find interesting is how several MSM outlets are now suddenly paying a lot of attention to idea of parallel universes and time travel. The way I see it, there is essentially a 50% chance that the Many Worlds Interpretation is correct, because either it's correct or the Copenhagen Interpretation is correct. So it doesn't go against our understanding of physics at all as the author states. The article is really about a new theory called the ‘Many Interacting Worlds Theory’, which would be something very similar to what Titor described.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The paper it's from is much more rational and less sensational than the stories in the MSM.

However, it's pretty interesting and has some fun implications. Was going to post this thread in a couple of days when I was off next but you beat me to it. I'll try to drop a post here going over the paper.

Most fun part for me: you can derive Cramer's Speculation from it without requiring SUSY.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

"Scientists claim"

I've been saying for years that aliens are just us in the future that have figured out how to travel through time.

I'd like to think that there is some type of time travel somewhere out there. I've been having these deja vu/flashback type moments for the last couple of years where I'm driving down a back road and suddenly appear on the Shreveport-Barksdale bridge in Shreveport, La in the late 70's, early 80's. It's evening out, cold, and snow is starting to fall heavily. I can see tailpipes on all the running cars steaming and they all have tail lights and headlights that aren't blinding like cars today. I can see the dirty rims and hubcaps on the vehicles, from driving on the wet roads. I can even hear the traffic around me and feel the chill in the car because heaters weren't that great back then, at least not in what my parents had.

Maybe there is a parallel door to travel through, I've been feeling like I was on the cusp of finding it for a couple of years now.

This post could have come straight out of the dark tower books lol

Oddly enough, I'd never heard of the Dark Towers until yesterday. It sounds interesting though, time travel has always been a fantasy of mine.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
a reply to: Tman2135

You have it spot on, that is exactly what my thread will be talking about. I've watched and read up on Pre-Birth, Near Death, Astral Projection, the Law of Attraction just about everything regarding the nature of consciousness.

We choose the lessons we want to learn, choose our parents and the objective is to love and not give into fear and hate. What we vibrate at dictates the reality we observe and it's through our Chakra's that we observe this reality, the chakra's are our tether to this reality.

The real conspiracy is that we are made to believe that this reality is real and all we have. We are slaves to circumstance and victims to this reality, when in reality we create our own reality.

I made a thread about a Mandela effect I spotted while watching an interview of Bruce Campbell & you can tell he is genuinely telling a true story.

ATS

That reminds me of the John Bell character in An American Haunting.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

"Scientists claim"

I've been saying for years that aliens are just us in the future that have figured out how to travel through time.

I'd like to think that there is some type of time travel somewhere out there. I've been having these deja vu/flashback type moments for the last couple of years where I'm driving down a back road and suddenly appear on the Shreveport-Barksdale bridge in Shreveport, La in the late 70's, early 80's. It's evening out, cold, and snow is starting to fall heavily. I can see tailpipes on all the running cars steaming and they all have tail lights and headlights that aren't blinding like cars today. I can see the dirty rims and hubcaps on the vehicles, from driving on the wet roads. I can even hear the traffic around me and feel the chill in the car because heaters weren't that great back then, at least not in what my parents had.

Maybe there is a parallel door to travel through, I've been feeling like I was on the cusp of finding it for a couple of years now.

Oddly enough, I'd never heard of the Dark Towers until yesterday. It sounds interesting though, time travel has always been a fantasy of mine.

Me neither. I am gonna get the E-books.

Nice pic btw, LOL

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
I think i may happen all the time most of teh time slip from one to teh next and never even know it .
after all your keys were on the bed room dresser and on teh dinning room table .
And that fealing like you been there before .You have 2 seconds earler .
Heck i have going into rooms and know every word that would be spoken for the next ten mints .
I have lived a conversation i then did not have (knowing the out come deciding not to have it .
I have turned to my wife and she to me and said we will not let him fall .2 seconds later we both grab the car seat taht is starting to fall with my son in it.
Dont care if you think i am making it up . But if so tehn explane to me why you have thought would it would be nice to see so and so who then calls shows up or you run into . How many times humm ,
Me i just understood this from a young age and study every thing i could find and learnd to see when it happens and even cause it to happen . But i spent as many years trying to stop it as msot of teh time results are not good .
Anyway just watch look and listen you will see it twenty times a day .
as she looks over and he answers befor she ask teh question. or reverse . and many times its people who barly know one another . or is it all just human after all teh out come is usaly known anyway . You knwo he will complane when you say so and so and reverse .

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, I believe I can relate on some of it. On several occasions, I've dreamed about one of my ex GFs three times in a row and ran into each one within a week after the third dream, and these are girls I haven't seen or talked to in years, besides in the three dreams I'd have of them. And throughout my entire life I've dreamed about things happening that have actually happened.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

"Scientists claim"

Me neither. I am gonna get the E-books.

Nice pic btw, LOL

GoShredAK just mentioned that a movie was coming out about it, that's what I'll be waiting for lol... Reading puts me to sleep. Thanks, it tells a story well

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Just as water bends light in water, so too does time bend reality when altered. If you go back to the pat you slowly drift out of your timeline and into a different one. If you go back to the present you drift back into yours. If you go forward you drift the other way and so on. The reason for this has to do with quantum changes. Every time a decision is made your universal experience changes. Everything around you looks exactly the same but it is not, it is different.

Experiment. Place something in front of you like a glass or a ball. Now, decide that you will pick it up with your right hand, then decide that you will pick it up with your left, then decide that you will pick it up with both. Now pick it up.

While you were deciding to pick it up, all three possible futures existed. When you picked it up you remained in the one based on your decision and the other two split from your perception. This experience is called pathways. (the Bible calls them paths). Anyway, your existence is based on countless decisions. Just to note, inaction is also a decision. A rock that does nothing is still moving through the time stream even though it is not under it's own control.

That was time future, what about time past. Your mind can access time past, and it can create other universes that you can view. Think of a time in your memory and think carefully. Try to slow it down to second by second movement. It's hard isn't it. It's because time has no set speed and you view it in very fast motion, glimpses if you will. But there is no way to know if by doing so and doing something different in the memory changes the present because it will then have become your history as you would have perceived it to be.

I know, blows the mind right? So next time you make an important decision think of where that is going to take you. before a person commits a murder he is not a murderer, but if he kills he is forever a murderer. The same goes for everything.

Oh, and before I forget, dreams are inter-dimensional time travel and are boundless. You are anchored to this timeline but can wander in others when you sleep. This shows you how complicated you really are as a being. If you don't sleep you will die, as you would if you didn't wake up. Something to think about.

The big question is how to get the physical part of you over the bridge to the past, present, or inter-dimensional-alternate universe. Have fun

edit on 1-12-2016 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

you can find most of the books online for free as pdfs or ebooks actually. and you can find a lot of the books as audio books. I did a combination of formats because I have a long commute to work the audio books were perfect for me and honestly I was never big on audio books. always figured they'd put me to sleep, but the readings were SO well done it really added a whole other dimension to the books I think. Quite the experience actually. And when I was at home or on break at work I would read hard copies or PDF/EBOOK copies.

If you'd like I know a site that hosts ALL of the Dark Tower audio books for free in a streaming format that's quite nice.

Also as for the Dark Tower movie, when I first heard about it I was SUPER excited and that's what prompted me to go ahead and read all of the books. I thought the movie would be out in February like originally forecast so I started reading the books back in mid August of this year. I was done with them by mid September. All of them. That's how good they really are. I think people who don't even like Stephen King would like the Dark Tower series. It really encompasses SO many genres and references lots of other books, plays, songs, tv shows, movies and history. Part fantasy, Sci-Fi, drama, horror and comedy. It's really a modern day Lord of Rings. I can't say enough good things about the Dark Tower series.

I just hope they do the story justice with the movie. After the trailer leak I was a little worried about how much they're toying with the original story line and the order of appearance of the characters. Not to mention, Stephen King doesn't exactly have an exemplary track record when it comes to participating in adaptations of his work.

I just honestly don't understand why they couldn't take a straight forward adaptation approach like they did with the Harry Potter novels. Instead the 1st movie is going to be like a quasi-sequel to the Dark Tower series and a hodgepodge of the first books material along with some of the others.

Then they're going to make the 4th book Wizard and Glass into a television series and are projecting that they will make movies out of the rest of the books to finish telling the story. But the material can be graphic and violent at times so it better not be some PG-13 FOX network bull#. I mean what an odd way to do this. Fingers crossed the movie at least does the story justice otherwise I'll be severely disappointed as they've been talking about a Dark Tower movie for years and years now and the project has been passed along by SO many directors. This project needs the proper attention to detail it deserves. Thankfully they did push back the release date after the fan reaction to the leaked trailer. So thank god it's not being rushed at least. Because if the movie doesn't do well I think they'll have a real hard time trying to get the show and other movies made.

Fingers crossed big time on this one!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov
If they just follow the books word for word like a script, and have enough money to recreate the amazing scenes properly then it'll be good.
Like you I am very nervous they won't be able to pull it off. The trailer I saw didn't cut it. I do think Christian bale is a good choice for Roland though

I am picturing shia lebouf (spelling?) as Eddie.

Man there is potential for this to be such an incredible movie. I hope they don't screw it up.

edit on 1-12-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

unfortunately, I've got bad news for you.... The official trailer which was leaked "unofficially", was online for about half a day and was then promptly pulled offline. You can still find it if your google-fu is decent enough though. You must have seen a fan made trailer that had Christian Bale in it on YouTube. I think i've even seen that one myself.

They have cast Idris Elba as Roland....

which, to me is terrible casting choice and i don't know what they were thinking. don't get me wrong, Idris is a tremdous actor and I do love his work but, i'm sorry, Roland is supposed to have very sharp blue eyes. that and his white skin color actually come into play and wind up being important details in the story that come up A LOT. I mean especially with his relationship with O'Detta in Drawing of the Three. so right off the bat the visuals are going to be WAY off.

I mean Idris may have the personality down, but I'll never actually be able to picture him as Roland from Gilead, which is a huge shame. And he's got #ing brown eyes for gods sake. wtf. And the god damn trailer uses a cover of the velvet underground song "pale blue eyes". In what world does that make sense?!

The one casting choice I actually approve of is Matthew Mcconaughey as the man in black. I think he can pull that roll off and from the set pictures i've seen he does resemble the man in black that i have essentially pictured in my head and from how he's described in the literature.

God help us all. The movie is teetering on a very fine line between good and bad.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov
Oh boy......I was worried. I wasn't 100% sure if it really was going to be Christian bale because the trailer I found did seem off, kind of half a$$. Every thing else I saw looked like a mix between a boring western and some sort of low budget CGI scifi movie.

So I really am just being optimistic with my enthusiasm here. They should have stuck with Christian bale, or another dude like maybe the white guy from "sicaro" or "no country for old men" or K in MIB 3......that actor I think would make a good Roland.......

Definitely not hating on that actor, nor am I racist lol, but why would they cast a black dude as Roland? That immediately throws everything off.

Matthew mcconaughey would be an excellent man in black! I wouldn't of thought of that but if he really knew the character and used his acting skills he would absolutely kill it as the man in black!

Oh well, chances are they will butcher it somehow, like with most Stephen king movies. King is just that good of a writer I guess, it is really hard to adapt his work into a film. I am still looking forward to the movie.

So it wont be coming out this February any longer? It has been over a decade since I went on that epic journey that is the Dark Tower, I was in highschool at the time, now 30, so I am really looking forward to reading the books again from a new perspective. It has been so long I feel like it'll be just as good, if not better then the first time. I thank this thread for reminding me.

Anyway trying to move back to the topic here, a part from that story that sticks out to me is when, if I remember correctly, Roland is looking through the first door he comes across on that long stretch of desolate beach, what he sees Is baffling to him until he realizes he is actually looking through the eyes of another person in another time/dimension.

What mind blower that was. I wonder if as technology advances or in another advanced civilization, if that is how it could work? Like scientists have the ability to peer into other timelines or universes through someone else's consciousness? Or would they do it as a separate energy? That could maybe explain ufos........

(poor attempt at getting back on topic, but that's all I got right now)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
First off, Dark Tower was great up until the point King sort of lost the thread and wrote himself into the book, and then you got that incredibly crappy ending. But DT and its parallel books (Talisman etc) were pretty good. Right up until the last chapter of the last novel.

That aside, the paper that spawned the OP says nothing at all about time travel. I think that started off in the Sun. And The Sun is pretty fast and loose with the interpretation of anything technical. And in fact, you get about two short paragraphs into the Sun article, and they just start making up #, sad to say.

The actual paper, there's nothing like this. What's being proposed is that unlike Everett's Many Worlds hypothesis where you have every possibility of every quantum wave function collapse played out in an essentially infinite number of totally non-interacting universes, what's going on is a large but finite number of universes which DO interact, if only to a slight degree. The universe lines tend to repel each other in superspace so you don't get overlaps. But the nearby ones influence each other.

The paper puts together a simple model that shows for a large but finite number of nearby interacting world lines, you can derive quantum behaviors like wave packet spreading and tunneling, and you can sort of get the double-slit result. Although they sort of dodge by stating what you get is similar but not identical.

However, no time travel, no dinosaurs with seven heads that look like the Kardashians, no flying unicorns. Just interaction between universes that may or may not be that similar.

It's very early, and not developed. It is, however, sort of interesting. You could possibly explain dark matter/dark energy as "gravitic leak through" from mass in an adjacent congruent universe set. In that case, there IS enough mass to get the observed matter distribution, it's just that most of it is in the next hundred universes over and you can't directly observe it.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I did a lot of research on parallel universes for my thesis paper, they are an accepted explanation for quantum phenomena. From the research I have done, I think that it is very likely they exist. It is very early in this line of research, but it looks promising.
edit on 04pmSun, 04 Dec 2016 18:46:00 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I think I like this speculation because it doesn't require new world lines to be created every time a wave function collapses. The different lines are just there (the paper doesn't speculate on why there are a large number of somewhat similar world lines) and the quantum differences are just sort of spread over the set.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The Dark Tower did end kind of differently that's for sure.

I don't think it was terrible, but it was complex to digest, and definitely a bit of a mind blower.

I remember someone telling me I would get mad at the ending but they ended up being wrong, I thought it worked and was pretty genius in its own way......

Imagine if on the day of the election reality split into two different universes. One where Hillary Won, and one where Trump Won.

Those of us experiencing this reality with Trump as president elect just so happened to merge with this reality.

Or is there another version of us experiencing the Hillary reality simultaneously?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I think that if parallel universes are real then they might have been created by time travel, whenever someone has went back in time and changed things and create an alternative timeline.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sometimes I get the feeling that this is true to the extend that jumping between verses happens more often than we think and completely on the fly and unnoticable.

Wether its our choices that define the jump or if its completely random I dont know.

Do you ever have that feeling where its like you dont even recognise or know you otherwise coherent and unaffected loved ones? Like they are them but with a twist and then the next day back again.

I define myself.... as in the "self".... as nothing more than a piece of software or the driver of a vehicle. The body that inhabits any given universe is merely a vehicle.
So exchanging software is easy.

But I would guess that there are still some underlying rules governing this exchange. Fx I couldnt go inhabit a body that is 20 pounds lighter over night... it would cause a shock.

But yes, I think, if we are allowed, we will learn a lot about these possibilities il this generation.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join