It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest invention in history?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Had a disscution in school today about what is the greatest invention ever?
Personaly i think it is fire, if fire were never invented where would we have been today.

My teacher said bi-focals
someone else said Tivo
Sliced Bread

What do you think was the greatest invention ever?

Mod edit: Corrected title spelling. "Histiory" was driving me crazy every time I saw it.

[edit on 2006-6-19 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Man didn't invent fire though he uses it, I would say the computer would be the greatest invention, because of what can be done with one

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Fire is a pretty good one food,warmth and protection. I like to think man invented fire about 25,000 years ago and later that day he invented barbecue
yummy

Another important one I think is the Wheel thats pretty handy

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Greatest invention has to be well Science
After that would be the discovery of electrical conduction without that we would still be living like the Aumish. Third I would have too say the Internal Combustion Engine. Even though it is turning into a blight on humanity we cannot ignore the good it has done to society, allthough "good" is a relative term ya know.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Man didn't invent fire though he uses it,

I think hes talking about man inventing a way to make fire when ever he wanted it. Not just grabbing some fire caused from a lighting strike and trying to keep it going.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I believe, according to Donnie Darko, the answer is antiseptics.
It's actually not a bad answer, once you think about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I would say nuclear weapons. The last 60 years is the longest time in history that France and Britain haven't been to war with each other - because each has nukes. Also, the 20th Century would have almost certainly been different - for starters, there would have been no downside to the USA and USSR going for each other; with Europe stuck in the middle.

So, for Europe anyway, id stake my money on nukes.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
My two cents in this would be simply world communication, or as we may call it the "internet" This has created a link of communication between the whole world, letting people gather information from all different sources. The more information is spread, the better the inventions will get as ideas will be able to be influenced by many people. So the greatest invention is the invention that creates more inventions.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I would have to say, BIRTH CONTROL. Just kidding, I think shoes would be a good one. Then probably electricity, I mean, hell, I still cant light a fire the way they used to do it! Another good invention - ATS

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Drive through hamburger stands, hans down.

Second would have to be the television remote control. I don't know how anyone could survive without one.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
My personal choice would be the seatbelts on our automobiles.

Had a very very bad one some fifteen years ago. It was head on between my vehicle and abother, after clipping two others. Five ambulances, two engines to cut people out and I walked out with some stitches after regaining consciousness later.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   
i think those electric nose hair clippers beat all.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
TV Dinners!
I can't cook.
I burn Ramen Noodles.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Slash]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
geesh that's a toughie.............

lemme think.......... here's a few...........

telephone (thank you alexander graham bell)
internet (thank you AL GORE....JUST KIDDING)
electricity (thank you benjamin franklin)
sterile technique (medical person here!!!.....once drs realized the benefits of using sterilization in surgery loss of life dropped dramatically)
vaccinations (continues to save millions of lives)
television
automobile (henry ford)
airplanes (thank you orville and wilbur)

and of course TOILET PAPER!!!! good lord can't imagine life without it!!!

mannnn..............when you think of all the inventions that have been developed in the last 200 years..............it just blows the MIND!!!

angie

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
compass
gun powder
paper
money

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I made a thread sort of like this back in October 2003, then revived it in May 2004. You can see my and other people's answers from way back when here...

What do you think are the most important inventions EVER? (REVIVAL) [includes link to the original October 2003 post]
www.abovetopsecret.com...

if you're lazy... my answers were the wheel and printing press. But now that I look back on that thread, there are tons of great answers.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[edit on 1/26/05 by prophetmike]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Sliced Bread.... what else!!!

Everythin else is compared too it

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
hot lesbians take the number 1 spot easily....thank you gov't for creating gay women

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Tough question. Omitting things that can be construed as 'discoveries' like electricity, fire and science, I'd either go for the computer or the internal combustion engine as being the most important.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
You are all wrong,

The written word is the greatest invention ever.

If we didn't have it, we wouldnt be here along with most of the items mentioned above.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by crisko]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join