It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest invention in history?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Even rome back 2000 years ago had plumbing.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Even rome back 2000 years ago had plumbing.

Yeah I know was talking recent history not ancient heh. Rome would've been... interesting times to live in. I sometimes wonder what it would've been like? Ever play Rome Total War? It's very historically accurate.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'd say that everything we have now stems from the invention of Agriculture.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the Written Language, and Speech, these things are crucial to humanity, without them there would be no way to transfer information thus leaving every following generation with no information. This would result in humanity never growing, or evolving.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
A video in Tech. Ed. (shop) said it was the wheel.

I disagree. It's definately ATS! [/suckup]

Ok, seriously, I think the best invention ever invented was the television. Not that I thrive on movies and on-demand, but it does contribute to society with it's nearly instantaneous distribution of video.

[edit on 1/26/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I hadnt seen anyone yet suggest mathematics or myth or language. Though someone did mention writing, which I would second.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hmmm.... great question... I've got to go with either language or writing.... leaning more towards writing though... Of course writing would not be possible without language.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I've always said that these are the greatest inventions ever!

I know these are updated versions, but without them, where do you think we would be?

We should all thank Slavoljub Penkala for those.

I think the greatest invention man ever made was the toilet. No more outhouses or bushes for us

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The greatest invention? Printing press.
no Printing press - no renaissance - no knowledge boon - no electricity, vehicles or nething - no ATS - no toilet paper - no CD Players

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanks7772000
The greatest invention? Printing press.
no Printing press - no renaissance - no knowledge boon - no electricity, vehicles or nething - no ATS - no toilet paper - no CD Players

gutenberg made the printing press in the 1450s, the italian renaissance started earlier in the century. the printing press was, however, a driving force of both renaisssances.

it is worth noting, however, that he didnt invent it. it had existed in china for centuries upon centuries prior to gutenberg. maybe you mean mass production, or westernization of the product.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hydraulics. the single biggest labor saving device to date!

Just think about it, its every where you look at it affects everything you do.

From driving your car to taking a shower. Its in the back ground working for you. Pumps pumping, cylinders moving, valves opening and closing.

You can say, well its not on my desk in front of me, but in order to make the desk, computer, electricity, transport the desk, you need Hydraulics.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I would say the printing press or the television. Both have influenced social behavior, education, politics and culture immearurably.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The greatest invention ever is the ATS Search Tools

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have to go with the George Foreman grill. It really cuts out the fat!!!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
fire is not an invention it is a natural phenomenon ad therefore properlly termed a discovery, not invention....the best invention i think are tv dinners, if you don't think so, just move to my house and eat my wife's cooking, you'll swear by those things.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My top 10:
clothing
language
tools
cunneiform/hieroglyphics
barter system
boat
internal combustible engine
microprocessor/computer
avionics
internet

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have a few that I think are the best inventions:

1. Music- There are feelings I get from listening to music that I have never experienced before and can only experience them from music.

2. Ginger Ale- MMMMMMM... The best drink ever!

3. Gotta agree with Donnie Darko on this one- Anticeptics.

I have many more, but these are my chart toppers. Maybe ginger ale isn't the best choice but it's one of my favorites.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
internal combustion engine led to a dependency on oil.....not so good, imo

without getting into discovery or invention semantics, I'd nominate;

penicillan (sp?)
telephone (comes in kinda handy on a daily basis)
lighbulb
anesthesia (can you imagine surgery w/o it )
plastic (how much are you surronded by right now ?)

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
How bout penicillin and condoms?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I agree with crisco hands down. Without the Word there would be no need for man to go forward and would be mired down to an eternal hell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join