It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research Topic / Druids

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

What do you mean found the story (its not a myth, its reported as Real by the Romans) of mistletoe? Every instance of it being reported goes back to the Roman. For example its not applicable in Irish Druidry, as it probably did not arrive in Ireland until the early Christian period.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I hope you dont feel like it is a inquisition, im just curious..

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

What do you mean found the story (its not a myth, its reported as Real by the Romans) of mistletoe? Every instance of it being reported goes back to the Roman. For example its not applicable in Irish Druidry, as it probably did not arrive in Ireland until the early Christian period.

Its always a story when its written, i did cross references and found the myth.. What the Romans wrote are stories nothing more.. a biased one.. im never interested in a subjective view..

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

There is a difference between myths and stories. I am not saying it is an actual thing, as it is clearly not (gold could not cut mistletoe, trust me).

But what MYTH, what celtic Myth is this? No seriously. I hope I'm not going to read that it was the Golden Bough or White goddess as the source

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Not at all, you don't retain replies very well do you? I said I'd answer.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I think one of the problems we have is lumping Shamen, Bards, Druids, Storytellers and Herbalists all together. Personally I don't have the view that Shamans and Druids had the same goals or practices.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zinc12

Bingo. Shaman SHOULD only refer to various Siberian tribes, but its come to mean more in the New age world. Bards, Druids, Vates (for continential Celts, and Fili in place of Bards in Ireland) are the members of the intellectual caste. In modern days we forget, the Indo-European peoples were casted (slowly loosing that).

I agree Shaman and Drui fullfilled different roles.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The world tree. The mother goddess/earth. I just laid out a few other linkages between Semitic myths and IE myths in my post to the OP.

Cernunnos

Qadesh Stele

Now you may say, wait, the Qadesh stele is Egyptian. And I would say yes. If you check the link of my sig line, I have covered the Qadesh Stele, and its connection to the Hebrew religion. I'm not saying the image of Cernunnos and Qadesh are exact, but the horns with the snake in the left hand, a ritual object in the right. The front facing profile.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: zardust

I would like to hear your view, what Is your conclusions and thoughts?

I , like in a bad movie , already know the script to the movie , why did you come to that conclusion? What is the cross reference? I won't judge, I'm curious to listen to your narrative

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I'm not sure why anyone actually responds to you. Maybe English isn't your first language so you just come off like a prick. Ill pretend thats the case.

Good day

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Well usually, I'm not a great fan of stories unless it's an environment of fantasies.. If that comes off like a d***, well everyone seems butt hurt when I ask for some common sense..

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Not butt hurt. Your approach to "dialogue" has a heavy stench of superiority that is thinly veiling your insecurity.

I don't have time for dick swinging competitions.

I've already won them all anyway

edit on 8 11 2016 by zardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The mother goddess.earth mother is actually NOT that prevalent in IE mythology. That is a modern assumption. For example. Danu, in Irish Myth, is firstly a goddess barely attested, and secondly aQueen(the Morrigan actually). She's not a "mother goddess".

Cernunnos is not in every Indo-Eruopean culture, indeed not every Celtic speaking peoples myths. Again, not the Irish, not the Cymric. He is Gaulish.

Look I know what you are trying to say, but the differences are at least as many as the similarities.

Edit

Oh yeah and the "world tree".

Some Indo-European cultures have it, some do not, they do have an axis Mundi usually (Mount Olympus, Yggdrasil, possibly the Lia Fáil etc). But the world tree is not ubiquitous. Indeed the cultures which neighbored the Siberians have it most prominently (so the Northern Germanic aka Scandinavians)
edit on 8-11-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Come now, you always judge. At least be proud you are a judgmental type

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

So what you're saying is that yes there are similar motifs between semitic religion and Indo European religion though variances occur across different locales. Basically what I was saying.

World tree, axis mundi are in effect the same thing. Which further illustrates my point, similar motifs though variations of her across time and space.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

What I am saying is SOME Indo-European cultures have similar motifs. But then again I also said that Siberian (which is Uralic rather than Semitic or Indo-European) cultures have similarities too, but not necissarily with Semitic.

You can't talk about "Indo-European religions" as if they were homogeneous. If you look at the various Celtic speaking peoples and the various Germanic speaking ones. You do not see the Priestly caste, the King fills that role for the Germanic peoples (both Northern (Scandinavian) and Southern (German)), they have far more similarities in mythology than the Semitic peoples do.

All I am saying is that it is dangerous to consider similarities as the same. I know you have not necessarily said that. But no Abraham is not that much like a Druid, Brhaman, Magi, Flamen etc that somepeople might say. The roles were still very different.

Yes many cultures share similar ideas. How much of that however is mixing from trade? The "World tree" bit could be fairly new.

Good discussion!

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I'm not claiming the various PiE religions are homogenous. I'm saying maybe at one point they were (possibly the Indus Valley civilization). Or it could have been due to trade. Likely a combination. Of course druids are not the same as magi. But they may have common antecendants.

I know Cernunnos is not everywhere, but it does exist and more than once.

Also for the earth mother, I can't remember off the top of my head but their does seem to be some old etymological links for her. Related to humbaba IIRC. Yes not attested to well across the Celtic world we know which is relatively new since there Aren't lots of records, but links that point to her widespread worship going back to calolithic period in the region.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Oh come on, I'm just trying to suck out the small information someone has, and see if it has any value or just a subjective story made on misinterpretations of texture based material, not my fault people can't read right, you as a chemist should understand this.. Combine numbers and letters do some math and you "s***" or you have "tha s***"

Listen to a subjective story is what a psychologist is being paid for..

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Im sorry if i sounded like a dick, wasnt my intention..

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

All is forgiven.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join