It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Research Topic / Druids

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

They were created by the previous Celtic peoples of great Britain and Ireland. You need Celtic speaking cultures to have Druids and these stones are at least centuries older than when that first happened in the Isles.

Also Druid was a role in the Celtic speaking cultures. Not a people or tribe. Just like Doctoree, priest or academic ( all three combined actually and more)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 5-11-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

Abraham is from a different cultural group (Semitic) to the Indo-European Druid, Magi, Flamen etc who are millenia distant from each other. So similar perhaps related eh no.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Are you after the Pharmaceutical properties?

Yes, good, bad, areas which it is used for, etc.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: zardust
a reply to: tikbalang

He had a personal army of 300, who allied the local kings and killed the king of Elam. He went to Egypt and received gifts from Pharaoh. He was a ruler of his caste.

His original name was Abram. Ab is Father and Ram is exalted/high place/mountain. It is also the direct equivalent of Rama the avatar of Vishnu.

His name meant Father of Rama (Ab-Ram). His sons name is Isaac which is Y-saac. The Y=ruler it is symbolic of the ancient staff of tribal leaders (the Y is the cradle of the sun, like the cows horns).

Saac is Sak or Saka or Sakya or Shakya. The Shakya clan is the Solar clan of Rama and Sakyamuni Buddha (aka Gautama Buddha).

Isaac is the promised child through whom all the nations will be blessed. This would be seen as an incarnation type (miraculous conception at 100 years. In Galatians, Isaac is shown to be a type of christ. Who was also and incarnation/avatar.

references please

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

And yet they all share the same motifs and mythemes. My point is that there is a succession and that these people travelled all over the world. Or at least their ideas did. But I think the world was more travelled than we think, and more connected than we think. At least for some. Those that were the rulers.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Noinden, i have a curious question, do you believe in diversity? Or do you believe we should mix? Do you believe that Christian values are good or bad? What do you believe in Mr. Druid?
edit on 2016115 by tikbalang because: Cooking some books!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Do you work with agriculture? Farming? Or just chemistry?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Well ... you should always try a site like drugs.com as it will prove a place to start. Another would be: Mistletoe. Review of Natural Products. Facts & Comparisons 4.0. St. Louis, MO: Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc; December 2008. Accessed January 21, 2009.

But in short. If you go for an unrefined extract, it s "safe" (ish) to treat hypertension. Refined extracts have shown moderate action against certain cancers. But it is toxic (anything which has a medical effect has a toxicity, and the moment someone says "but its natural" you need to remember so is botulism, snake venom, ebola

Are you planning on doing something medicinal with mistletoe?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Good question.

I'll preface it with a statement.

I'm hard polytheistic. This means I beleive all (ALL) gods are real, be it JEhova, An Morrigan, Thor or Caffeina. None are superior to the other, that is human arrogance.

What I believe is that the values of every religion hold some good, some bad. My values are just that MY values. I don't expect people to walk the path of Slì with me. Thus Christianity does contain some good values, but it also contains some toxic, or contradictory ones.

Why>

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Two things:

(a) Do you mean do I farm or garden? or do you mean have I been involved in the science of agriculture? If the latter, a previous job did involve some of that. But my work on the whole has been human and animal pharmaceuticals. I garden, I've hunted, I've fished, I've gathered shell fish. SO I get out into nature quite often. Its hard not too in New Zealand. So clarify your question (mmm butter).

(b) WHY? Why does this matter. Forgive my doubt, but you seem to be digging, as if you are after something. Just ask me. Simple, I don't tend to lie, I don't share without reason however.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

Out of curiosity, what motifs and myth themes do you feel that they share in common?

So if you look at the Indo-European peoples sure they all share similar ideas with each other. Dumézil made a carreer studying this.

SImilarly inside the different Semitic peoples.

Between? Much of the overlap occurs after Abrahamic faiths take root.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Oops sorry I missed One part My bad.

ADF is a Neopagan Druid organization. Second largest in the world, after OBOD. Google is your friend for both.

One comment about the thread. I'm not sure "Secret Societies" is the best forum for this. Druidry, Druidism (one is the philosophy, the other is the spirituality) are open, not secretive. Now the Masonic like lodges, sure, they're not that interesting however (I WAS one for a time, and grew tired of the politics).

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Thanks very much for your responses.

And I have been using google of late to get information on this topic. Trouble is, as per usual with google, it returns a lot of results.

If you could point me in the right direction re: a few publications or websites that you feel are accurate for someone who wants to get a good general sense of Druids, Druid history, etc - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
ADF and OBOD can be found by following the hyperlinks.

You want Druid history? Either (a) Read the history of the prechristian Celts (after all it was a job in those cultures) OR read Blood and Mistletoe by Ronald Hutton

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Are you planning on doing something medicinal with mistletoe?

no, i was looking if it had any cultural value in medicine, and then historical, mythological..
But i thank you for the drugs.com link, i will be well used to look at properties in old medicine...

Do you mean do I farm or garden?

I was curious, nothing more..

Why does this matter. Forgive my doubt, but you seem to be digging, as if you are after something. Just ask me. Simple, I don't tend to lie, I don't share without reason however.

I am looking into druid cultural values, which seem to be much related to anglo saxan ideals/virtues and heritage.. A lot of Modern druid values/ideals/knowledge " i believe " is more related to racial ideals and very little towards the original form of a natural order.. I found that what "i believe " that the unifying factor is not spirituality/ knowledge/ wisdom or any of the virtues, its being against the modern paradigm of Christian values.. Using the Cultural belief system against itself and using fear as the glue for the modern druid order..

Much similarities with the KKK but instead of extremes, its political..

That is what "i believe" right or wrong, its an opinion

I am not saying you are, but the research so far has lead me into this room

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

What are these?

Missionary Order of the Celtic Cross/Reformed Druidic Wicca

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Ok so I think perhaps you are missing the point with the role the Druids played in the Celtic speaking tribes.

They were NOT all about nature, and only that. They were the intellectual caste of their tribes. The Judges, the priests, the historians etc. People get the idea its all trees with them. You can blame the 18th century Druid revival who made it seem all trees and the sun. As opposed to the many gods, the peoples, the laws etc. I could be wrong perhaps you got that.

Also the ritual of mistletoe is something that is not ascribed in the surviving myths. IF it was important, it would be there. Julius Caeser and the other Roman writers may have made it up. The druids egg (made by a mass of snakes) surely was, its never been seen in nature. Remember that JC reported that moose have no knees, in the same books on the Gauls. Oops no the origional report was Pliney ... oh well.
edit on 6-11-2016 by Noinden because: Wrong roman

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Also the ritual of mistletoe is something that is not ascribed in the surviving myths. IF it was important, it would be there

I found the story/myth behind the mistletoe, it is important.. Depending on what you study..

The druids egg (made by a mass of snakes) surely was, its never been seen in nature.

No comments..

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

They are some modern pagan groups. So the Missionary Order of the Celtic Cross is a rather minor Druidic group. the other one (Reformed Druidic Wicca), I've never heard of them, that means nothing, there are little groups all over the place.

Something to be aware of, is from the Mesopagan (18th and 19th century) revival (Druid Lodges, Ceremonial Magicians etc) through today, there have been multiple groups mashing cultures who never met together. I don't find that a satisfying practice.

Wicca is (despite what some folks think) a creature of the 1950s onwards. Gerald Gardner, Alex Sanders and others created a group of spiritual practices we call Wicca. Ross Nichols turned an old Druid Lodge (Masonic like in ideas) into what has become the OBOD, though his protegee Dr Phillip Carr Gomm is the real person to thank for that. You get ideas crossing.

But as I said, I've never heard of Reformed Druidic Wicca. Its not as far as I know a relative of the "Reformed Druids of North America" (aka RDNA) which was a parent group to my ADF order.

One thing you might (who knows) find interesting is this

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join