It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Research Topic / Druids

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Ive been doing some research for a while, mostly about the Druid Culture and its influences within borders of certain states of the world. I found them fascinating but always had that nagging feeling that said;" Something did not feel quite right ". So I started to researching their cultural history, morals, dogma, legal system and mostly, belief system..

Something i learned a while back is always portray the etymology ( the derivation of a word ) of the word that you want to research about, and jump down that rabbit hole first..

Etymology

Druid (n.)
1560s, from French druide, from Latin druidae (plural), from Gaulish Druides, from Celtic compound *dru-wid-, probably representing Old Celtic *derwos "true"/PIE *dru- "tree" (especially oak; see tree (n.)) + *wid- "to know" (see vision). Hence, literally, perhaps, "they who know the oak" (perhaps in allusion to divination from mistletoe). Anglo-Saxon, too, used identical words to mean "tree" and "truth" (treow).

The English form comes via Latin, not immediately from Celtic. The Old Irish form was drui (dative and accusative druid; plural druad); Modern Irish and Gaelic draoi, genitive druadh "magician, sorcerer."

From my view as of research i am doing, I believe its most likely, from the Proto-Indo-European roots *deru, meaning " Oak-knower or Oak-seer ". And Pliny the Elder would most likely agree to it also.. Underneath is a statement from Pliny the Elder on the old rituals of the druid order: p.95 Natural History [...].

We should not omit to mention the great admiration that the Gauls have for it as well. The druids – that is what they call their magicians – hold nothing more sacred than the mistletoe and a tree on which it is growing, provided it is a hard-timbered oak .... Mistletoe is rare and when found it is gathered with great ceremony, and particularly on the sixth day of the moon.... Hailing the moon in a native word that means 'healing all things,' they prepare a ritual sacrifice and banquet beneath a tree and bring up two white bulls, whose horns are bound for the first time on this occasion. A priest arrayed in white vestments climbs the tree and, with a golden sickle, cuts down the mistletoe, which is caught in a white cloak. Then finally they kill the victims, praying to a god to render his gift propitious to those on whom he has bestowed it. They believe that mistletoe given in drink will impart fertility to any animal that is barren and that it is an antidote to all poisons. [...]

Most of the Druid community have no real understanding to what it means, to be an " Oak- seer " and it is a shame actually. But it makes it more interesting to actually understand their modern values and culture based on new principals and not old. Maybe they could fit right in the modern day societies without much impact on cultural values. If they learned how to live in harmony and not to oppose ideals without consent with the dogmatic rules of modern day society.

History

The first thing i come across is that the Druid community even states that modern Druid society has very little or nothing to do with Ancient druid orders, in fact, the modern Druid community could even take the Name " The Smurfs " and still have more in common with little blue people than with the Ancient druid orders.

And i can quote from the Druidry.org exactly where Neo-Druidism actually

In ancient times a Druid was a philosopher, teacher, counselor and magician, the word probably meaning ‘A Forest Sage’ or ‘Strong Seer’.

In modern times, a Druid is someone who follows Druidry as their chosen spiritual path, or who has entered the Druid level of training in a Druid Order.. [...]

A druid (Welsh: derwydd; Old Irish: druí) was a member of the educated, professional class among the Celtic peoples of Gaul, the British isles, and possibly elsewhere during the Iron age. The druid class included law-speakers, poets and doctors, among other learned professions, although the best known among the druids were the religious leaders.

The first known text that describes the druids is Julius Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Caesar described the druids as being concerned with "divine worship, the due performance of sacrifices, private or public, and the interpretation of ritual questions." He claimed that they recognized the authority of a single leader, who would rule until his death, when a successor would be chosen by vote or through conflict.

Ceasar also remarked that they met annually at a sacred place in the region occupied by the Carnute tribe in Gaul, they viewed Britain as the centre of druidic study; According to Caesar, many young men were trained to be druids, during which time they had to learn all the associated lore by heart. He also claimed their main teaching was "the souls do not perish, but after death pass from one to another". They were also concerned with "the stars and their movements, the size of the cosmos and the earth, the world of nature, and the powers of deities", indicating they were involved with not only such common aspects of religion as theology and cosmology, but also astronomy. Caesar also held that they were "administrators" during rituals of human sacrifice, for which criminals were usually used, and that the method was through burning in a wicker man.

edit on 2016113 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Neo- Druidism

I came across a topic called Neo- Druidism, which in fact, even though have Druidism in its name, have nothing really in common with the Ancient druid order.. So instead i looked up everything on Druidry.org since there werent really some useful facts anywhere else..

One of the most striking characteristics of Druidism is the degree to which it is free of dogma and any fixed set of beliefs or practices. In this way it manages to offer a spiritual path, and a way of being in the world that avoids many of the problems of intolerance and sectarianism that the established religions have encountered.

There is no ‘sacred text’ or the equivalent of a bible in Druidism and there is no universally agreed set of beliefs amongst Druids. Despite this, there are a number of ideas and beliefs that most Druids hold in common, and that help to define the nature of Druidism today

Theology

Since Druidry is a spiritual path – a religion to some, a way of life to others – Druids share a belief in the fundamentally spiritual nature of life. Some will favour a particular way of understanding the source of this spiritual nature, and may feel themselves to be animists, pantheists, polytheists, monotheists or duotheists. Others will avoid choosing any one conception of Deity, believing that by its very nature this is unknowable by the mind.

Monotheistic druids believe there is one Deity: either a Goddess or God, or a Being who is better named Spirit or Great Spirit, to remove misleading associations to gender. But other druids are duotheists, believing that Deity exists as a pair of forces or beings, which they often characterise as the God and Goddess.

Whether they have chosen to adopt a particular viewpoint or not, the greatest characteristic of most modern-day Druids lies in their tolerance of diversity: a Druid gathering can bring together people who have widely varying views about deity, or none, and they will happily participate in ceremonies together, celebrate the seasons, and enjoy each others’ company – realising that none of us has the monopoly on truth, and that diversity is both healthy and natural.

The Otherworld

A cornerstone of Druid belief is in the existence of the Otherworld – a realm or realms which exist beyond the reach of the physical senses, but which are nevertheless real.

This Otherworld is seen as the place we travel to when we die. But we can also visit it during our lifetime in dreams, in meditation, under hypnosis, or in ‘journeying’, when in a shamanic trance.

Different Druids will have different views on the nature of this Otherworld, but it is a universally held belief for three reasons.

Firstly: All religions or spiritualities hold the view that another reality exists beyond the physical world, rather than agreeing with Materialism, that holds that only matter exists and is real.

Secondly: Celtic mythology, which inspires so much of Druidism, is replete with descriptions of this Otherworld.

Thirdly: The existence of the Otherworld is implicit in ‘the greatest belief’ of the ancient Druids, since classical writers stated that the Druids believed in a process that has been described as reincarnation. In between each life in human or animal form the soul rests in the Otherworld.

Death and Rebirth

While a Christian Druid may believe that the soul is only born once on Earth, most Druids adopt the belief of their ancient forebears that the soul undergoes a process of successive reincarnations – either always in human form, or in a variety of forms that might include trees and even rocks as well as animals.

The Three Goals of the Druid

A clue as to the purpose behind the process of successive rebirths can be found if we look at the goals of the Druid. Druids seek above all the cultivation of wisdom, creativity and love. A number of lives on earth, rather than just one, gives us the opportunity to fully develop these qualities within us.
Wisdom

The goal of wisdom is shown to us in two old teaching stories – one the story of Fionn MacCumhaill (Finn MacCool) from Ireland, the other the story of Taliesin from Wales.

In both stories wisdom is sought by an older person – in Ireland in the form of the Salmon of Wisdom, in Wales in the form of three drops of inspiration. In both stories a young helper ends up tasting the wisdom so jealously sought by the adults. These tales, rather than simply teaching the virtues of innocence and helpfulness, contain instructions for achieving wisdom, encoded within their symbolism and the sequence of events they describe, and for this reason are used in the teaching of Druidry. [...]

Neo -Druidism has sprung and established themselves in parts of the so called western world.. In Great Britain and in the Continent of Australia they made there selves accustomed and a part of society, good or bad, is not for me to decide as long as they are a part of the community and provide to it.. The dangers lies when the cultures they are practicing goes against the cultural belief system within a state, cultures must always learn to live together in harmony to become one, but forcing a belief system will always bring conflict, and the little man always lose.

Druid - Wikipedia
Etymology - Wikipedia
Pliny The Elder - Wikipedia
Natural History - Pliny The Elder - Wikipedia
Natural History - Amazon
Rituals of Oak and Mistletoe
The Smurfs - Wikipedia
Commentarii De Bello Gallico - Wikipedia
Carnutes - Wikipedia
Wicker Man - Wikipedia
Neo- Druidism
Fionn Mac Cumhaill
Taliesin - Wikipedia

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Abraham may have been a Druid or the druids were of the order of Abraham. He stayed at the oak of mamre. Studies the stars. Was a ruler. He hailed from Harran which is a moon worshipping city. His relative Labans name means moon (Leah and rachel's father). Terah his father also has the name of moon. He was also associated with sacred wells which figure so much in Celtic lore.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

A bit of common sense and critical thinking takes you a long way, im not sure about " Was a ruler " But he was a "priest"

Brahma and Abraham, Divine Covenants of Common Origin, Brahma (/ˈbrəhmɑː/; Brahmā) is the creator god in the Trimurti of Hinduism. He has four faces, looking in the four directions.Brahma is also known as Svayambhu (self-born), Vāgīśa (Lord of Speech), and the creator of the four Vedas, one from each of his mouths. Brahma is identified with the Vedic god Prajapati, as well as linked to Kama and Hiranyagarbha (the cosmic egg), he is more prominently mentioned in the post-Vedic Hindu epics and the mythologies in j the Puranas. In the epics, he is conflated with Purusha. Brahma, along with Vishnu and Shiva, is part of a Hindu Trinity; however, ancient Hindu texts mention other trinities of gods or goddesses which do not include Brahma.

The Brahma and the Druids were the same, Abraham is another religion.. But sprung from the same philosophy

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

Abraham was not a druid, as he was not of the Celtic speaking peoples. If one were to go down that road, he MIGHT have been a Magi, as the Persians (who as another Indo-European speaking people, had many similar cultural aspects to the Celtic Speaking peoples) had Magi in the same role as Druids. Just as the Flamen, Brahmans etc are similar.

You have to be careful with "Celtic" lore, as the people who wrote that lore down, were monks, who are biased, and sanitized, and substituted a lot of it, to make it Christian.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Hello Mr Druid, i found an interesting topic about your " Warrior Druids " and the practice of Magi within that order, you care to elaborate on that part?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I don't know, what article would that be? You best be specific. I'm not playing games with you, I'll end it right away.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

"The Brahma and the Druids were the same, Abraham is another religion.. But sprung from the same philosophy" you really are going to have to illustrate that is so. The Indo-European and Semiticare not that similar!

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Ill simplify it for you instead, King Arthur, Merlin and Excalibur.. Im looking for the article which really is about you and the warrior guild which you were i believe "the Boss" of, but i cant seem to find it...
Gonna try and see what i can find
edit on 2016113 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Why did you not just say Arthurian legends?

I will simplify for you too
Arthurian legends are not directly Celtic legends as such, they generally post date the Christianized peoples of Britain. Thus Merlin does not actually demonstrate the archtype of the Druid. Though this may be the effect of Christianity?

Merlin is probably mostly based upon Myrddin Wyllt, who shows more in common with the non-British Lailoken. A madman, wizard etc. The Druids were respected (beyond words) by the Celtic Speaking Peoples of the west. Including the Cymric, Gaelic, and British peoples. Its one reason the Roman legons tried to stomp them down!

Arthur? He was no Druid. Many Kings were said to be taught by them however.

In another post to you, I've talked about Excalibur a little. It possibly is a version of one of the Four treasures of the Tuatha de Dannan. The sword of Sword Núadu. Just as the Grail may be a reference to the Cauldron of the Dagda, as opposed to the cup of Jesus. It certainly shows aspects of the former!

As you are interested in Druids it seems. Try researching the three phases of Druidry which have been. One is the pre-Christian ones, another is the Masonic like lodges (who have many Christians in their numbers) and the third is the Neopagan one, where the term Druid is used to simplify "prechristian Celtic spirituality" in converstaion. I've said before I don't claim the title druid (despite my day job) rather the name Pàganachd
There is a difference. You are missing it, either willfully or with a language barrier?

No sane modern Neopagans think they are "Paleopagan Druids" (the ones of the PRe-Christian peoples). Many of the Lodge ones do however. They seme to think the Megalithic Stone circles are Celtic (they are not). That Druids actually wore white and cut mistletoe with gold bladed sickles. They also have a great many nationalistic riff raff join

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Awesome thank you for filling in the parts i was missing.. Try to see them as Parables Mr. Druid, Arthur was a king, Merlin was a druid, Excalibur was a sword or a symbol, depending where you want to put your subjective reference to.. Dont make it into a story where there is not one.. If you want the story, i believe its already written..

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
There was an interesting period in Irish history when you had both Druids and Christian priests working in the community. You had for example St Columba who was trained as a Druid but then became a Christian priest. These Culdees had a unique Christianity which was a mix of Christian and native Druidic beliefs.

Incidently the Oak tree was not sacred to Irish druids so it is doubtful the word druid means Oak, to the Irish Druids the Mountain ash also known as quicken or rowan along with the Hazel tree were most important. In addition mistletoe is not to be found in Ireland.

I believe the word Druid means "he who has the knowledge of the tree" not an Earthly tree but the great tree, the tree of life.

It is highly probable that many of the practices of the Irish fili also had their origins in Druidism.

Irish Druids also did not wear white robes but instead rainbow coloured capes and often made use of a headdress. Feathers were also worn around the shoulders.
edit on 4-11-2016 by zinc12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
All the druids were killed by vampires and Romans. All save the Iron Druid.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: zinc12

There is a great site where you can check the etymology of the name Etymononline, it takes a single word like druid and what it means..

The name mistletoe originally referred to the species Viscum album (European mistletoe, of the family Santalaceae in the order Santalales); it was the only species native to Great Britain and much of Europe. Ireland is a short boat trip away..
Mistletoe

Mistletoe does not grow on the ground, but instead on the branches of trees with no connection to the earth. The Celtic Druids believed that mistletoe was the essence of the sun god Taranus and any tree hosting mistletoe on its branches was marked sacred.

The Druids worshipped the sun and held trees in high regard. They believed that the mistletoe would take on the essence of the tree it inhabited, scientifically accurate as the plant was feeding off the tree.

Should they find mistletoe growing on the holiest of trees, the oak, this was prized above all else. Lengthy ceremonies were held for harvesting the shrub whose powers included warding off evil and protection from poison.

Druid (n.) L
1560s, from French druide, from Latin druidae (plural), from Gaulish Druides, from Celtic compound *dru-wid-, probably representing Old Celtic *derwos "true"/PIE *dru- "tree" (especially oak; see tree (n.)) + *wid- "to know" (see vision). Hence, literally, perhaps, "they who know the oak" (perhaps in allusion to divination from mistletoe). Anglo-Saxon, too, used identical words to mean "tree" and "truth" (treow).

A very important statement" Anglo-Saxon, too, used identical words to mean "tree" and "truth"

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Since this is not my field, what properties does Viscin have?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Are you after the Pharmaceutical properties? You are focusing on theRoman propaganda far too much. Julius Caesar was not a reliable source. In the very books he wrote about the Gauls he said moose had no knees..Or do you want to catch birds with that sap of mistletoe?.
edit on 5-11-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Oh you edited in the ADF reference. I was the elected chief of the warriors in ADF for several years. Stop being oblique and come right out and ask your questions. No games of silly buggers!

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I think they are similar, not that Abraham was a druid or a Magi. But those all represent different divisions or variations of the same class. I believe Abraham represents and older version. A sort of prototype. The Magi and Druid are 1st millennium BC, whereas Abraham is 2nd to 3rd (and likely mythological, which begs the question if he is a late addition, say 1st millennium BC during the Babylonian captivity, we likely will never know).

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

Oh you edited in the ADF reference. I was the elected chief of the warriors in ADF for several years. Stop being oblique and come right out and ask your questions. No games of silly buggers!

I find this discussion fascinating.

I know so little about the Druids even though I am a Scotsman genetically and have been to Scotland, Wales and the UK many times.

What is ADF?

What are your thoughts on places like the Daviot Stone Circle (Loanhead) in Scotland and other similar sites like the much more famous Stonehenge in the UK?

Are they Druid in origin? If not - what are your thoughts on their creation and by whom?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

He had a personal army of 300, who allied the local kings and killed the king of Elam. He went to Egypt and received gifts from Pharaoh. He was a ruler of his caste.

His original name was Abram. Ab is Father and Ram is exalted/high place/mountain. It is also the direct equivalent of Rama the avatar of Vishnu.

His name meant Father of Rama (Ab-Ram). His sons name is Isaac which is Y-saac. The Y=ruler it is symbolic of the ancient staff of tribal leaders (the Y is the cradle of the sun, like the cows horns).

Saac is Sak or Saka or Sakya or Shakya. The Shakya clan is the Solar clan of Rama and Sakyamuni Buddha (aka Gautama Buddha).

Isaac is the promised child through whom all the nations will be blessed. This would be seen as an incarnation type (miraculous conception at 100 years. In Galatians, Isaac is shown to be a type of christ. Who was also and incarnation/avatar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join