It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it important for a world leader (U.S. President) to believe in God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Are you @#%$&%@ Serious? Separation of CHURCH and STATE!!!! NO IT'S NOT IMPORTANT. WTF

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Considering that my hypothesis on religion centers around the point that gods and religion were created as a way to subjugate and control groups of people centered around one ruler (or ruling body), then I would think that religion does not play such a role in the types of people who would seek out the power that comes along with running a country.

So, my answer is obviously an emphatic "no."

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

No.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
lol...well, Slayer...it seems you have your answer. Every hand in the room was raised on the "no" side, not even one for "yes."

Except you.
/thread

And coming soon:
/religion

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I could get into a really deep discussion on all of the specifics here but it's probably more suited for it's own thread. We could talk about this for ever...

Yep. Because that's what humans do. We have been discussing it forever, and it's still not done being discussed.

But yeah---------------

*aherm* wait - what were you saying? A new thread, really, another one? Wowee! Oh boy!!

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
Is it important for a world leader like POTUS to believe in a God?

Would it keep him/her humble? Reminding him/her of a superior power?

Must he/her show mercy to the nation?

Reminding him/her as being leader of the flock/group/nation (a politician) will be held responsible for his/her actions as to how they led the people as kings, queens. princes, princesses, advisers etc... have been held responsible in the past?

Would a politician be more effective and a better leader when he/she believes in the Christian God?

If the fear of eternal damnation is what keeps you from being a #ty person, you're already a #ty person

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheFlyOnTheWall

If the fear of eternal damnation is what keeps you from being a #ty person, you're already a #ty person

I agree. But if it DOES keep them from being even worse, then - sorta like an ankle bracelet shocking device...you know? If that's what it takes, then I guess it's benign enough.

It's the ones who are openly awful and despicably hateful and do it IN THE NAME OF religion (or whatever imaginary figure-head name they like to use)........those are the people who are so dangerous and must not be allowed to have control of anything that could harm themselves or others.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Then be a deist or agnostic. But anyone who believes in the traditional "god' or Abraham god is not grounded in reality. Which would be worse.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I would be seriously interested to know how many US presidents actually believe in God.
Most other countries don't have the assumed prerequisite that the US seem to have

It's not about belief, it's more about responsibility to the people (or businesses) that have placed them in their position

Belief means nothing, a leader should serve the common good of the people, when was the last president a servant of the people.

Sadly I think many politicians play the religious card to win support, I would state categorically, neither Trump or Clinton are christian, though neither would make a good leader, self serving

Australia has had some completely stupid atheist leaders, equally as bad as their Christian counterparts

The real question is are there any good leaders, irrespective of their beliefs

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

President Barack Obama: Protestant
Vice President Joe Biden: Roman Catholic
President George W. Bush: Methodist, former Episcopalian
Vice President Dick Cheney: Methodist
President Bill Clinton: Baptist
Vice President Al Gore: Baptist
President George H.W. Bush: Episcopalian
Vice President Dan Quayle: Presbyterian
President Ronald Reagan Presbyterian
Vice President H.W. Bush: Episcopalian
President Jimmy Carter: Baptist
Vice President Walter Mondale: Presbyterian
President Gerald Ford: Episcopalian
Vice President Nelson Rockefeller: Baptist
President Richard Nixon: Quakerism
Vice President Spiro Agnew: Episcopalian
President Lyndon B. Johnson: Protestant
Vice President Hubert Humphrey: Methodist
President John F. Kennedy: Roman Catholic
Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson: Protestant
President Dwight D. Eisenhower: Presbyterian
Vice President Richard Nixon: Quakerism
President Harry S. Truman: Baptist
Vice President Alben W. Barkley: Methodist
President Franklin D. Roosevelt: Episcopalian
Vice President John Nance Garner: Methodist
Vice President Henry A. Wallace: Episcopalian
President Herbert Hoover: Quakerism
Vice President Charles Curtis: Methodist
President Calvin Coolidge: Protestant
Vice President Charles G. Dawes: Protestant
President Warren G. Harding: Baptist
Vice President Calvin Coolidge: Protestant
President Woodrow Wilson: Presbyterian
Vice President Thomas R. Marshall: Presbyterian

Is it important for a world leader (U.S. President) to believe in God

Not at all, imo. I will judge people on an individual basis, so someone having a belief that I don't share wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker. It does raise a red flag or two, depending on their devotion and zealously.

Or whether or not they are a science denying YEC, for example (e.g. Mike Pence).

edit on 10-26-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheFlyOnTheWall

Deist and agnostic, you say?

You mean - like the Founding Fathers?

I'm already in that club, thanks. I was agreeing with you, that's all.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

President Barack Obama: Protestant
Vice President Joe Biden: Roman Catholic
President George W. Bush: Methodist, former Episcopalian
Vice President Dick Cheney: Methodist
President Bill Clinton: Baptist
Vice President Al Gore: Baptist
President George H.W. Bush: Episcopalian
Vice President Dan Quayle: Presbyterian
President Ronald Reagan Presbyterian
Vice President H.W. Bush: Episcopalian
President Jimmy Carter: Baptist
Vice President Walter Mondale: Presbyterian
President Gerald Ford: Episcopalian
Vice President Nelson Rockefeller: Baptist
President Richard Nixon: Quakerism
Vice President Spiro Agnew: Episcopalian
President Lyndon B. Johnson: Protestant
Vice President Hubert Humphrey: Methodist
President John F. Kennedy: Roman Catholic
Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson: Protestant
President Dwight D. Eisenhower: Presbyterian
Vice President Richard Nixon: Quakerism
President Harry S. Truman: Baptist
Vice President Alben W. Barkley: Methodist
President Franklin D. Roosevelt: Episcopalian
Vice President John Nance Garner: Methodist
Vice President Henry A. Wallace: Episcopalian
President Herbert Hoover: Quakerism
Vice President Charles Curtis: Methodist
President Calvin Coolidge: Protestant
Vice President Charles G. Dawes: Protestant
President Warren G. Harding: Baptist
Vice President Calvin Coolidge: Protestant
President Woodrow Wilson: Presbyterian
Vice President Thomas R. Marshall: Presbyterian

Impressive stats.

And to think there was nearly a "mormon" on there!

The listed religions, with the exception of Quakerism, are all off-shoots of the Church-of-England period. The original "Pilgrims" were the Quakers. The quakers were the bible-thumpers that sailed over here and violently took control of the place. Not nice people.

They weren't cool with Church of England, not at all.
Catholics were already forced underground, and the Quakers and Oliver Cromwell doomsday preachers and others like them still have descendants living who are just as sketchy....just as twp.

edit on 10/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Religious people actually have lower IQs on average; I'd much rather my country be run by a non-religious person for that reason alone.

Source.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Impressive stats.

And to think there was nearly a "mormon" on there!

LOL!! was that a typo? .... moron??

The listed religions, with the exception of Quakerism, are all off-shoots of the Church-of-England period. The original "Pilgrims" were the Quakers. The quakers were the bible-thumpers that sailed over here and violently took control of the place. Not nice people.

Well they did give us Quaker oats, Corn flakes and peanut butter.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

TextIs it important for a world leader like POTUS to believe in a God?

Couldn't hurt. Course it would depend upon which god. Pick the wrong guy with the wrong god and it could be worse than the crap we have now.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

Religious people actually have lower IQs on average; I'd much rather my country be run by a non-religious person for that reason alone.

Well look no further cause your dream has come true. You got her. Best of luck cause you are really going to need all the luck in the world. I did not realize that you guys took a poll or something to know that you are superior to others.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

Well look no further cause your dream has come true. You got her. Best of luck cause you are really going to need all the luck in the world. I did not realize that you guys took a poll or something to know that you are superior to others.

Do you actually think Trump believes in god? He's too smart to believe in god. He's a manipulator; he'll say anything to get votes. Hillary is just as much of a turd as he is though. They are both snakes in their own way.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

No. It was "mormon." A "Mormon" --- Mitt Romney. Have you never heard of the LDS? RLDS? Mormons?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

Oh my goodness. Seede --- I have respect for you, as an elder, and a thinker.

But please --- please....think about this!!! She is not going to wreck our country. Trump as POTUS would be a disaster. It's not a difficult choice.

Absolutely deadly choice, or keep moving forward?

I choose forward.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

To me the most important thing that a belief in a higher power does for a leader is set him or her up to more easily believe that our basic unalienable rights are sacred and not to be meddled with by an agency of mankind. Without the idea that those rights derive from an agency outside of and beyond the agency of a power of mankind, then you start to have a hard time rationalizing why those rights ought to be sacred.

When life has value and should be protected becomes arbitrary. When your property and person are actually yours becomes arbitrary and a matter for the state. When you can defend your property and person is likewise a matter for the state. And, most importantly, the state begins to assume for itself the mantle of highest authority with the ultimate power.

If a candidate wants me to vote for him or her and they want to be atheist in their belief, then they must be able to clearly and rationally and believably articulate why our individual, unalienable rights are ours, belonging to us as individuals and no other power on earth, and should not be tampered with and oppressed in any way or removed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join