It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are White Americans So Racist?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

In other words: we will never move beyond this if we keep telling people that how they feel is wrong. The only answer is to figure out how to make those feelings change.

Yeah, well, this is a two-way street.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SuspiciousTom

I have a question for you though.

I have seen and know of many examples of fine successful otherwise normal black men and women who, somehow, did not let their past doom them to living in the inner city.

It doesn't take much looking around. There is a wonderful family who lives across the street from me. I have some coworkers and so does my husband. One of the best neurosurgeons around happens to be a black man. There are plenty of successful black authors and entrepreneurs at all levels. People who work in all different occupations.

So why aren't they stuck in ghettos and mired in the same cycle you want to blame us for?

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not blaming you for it. However, It seems the concept that not every child is bright. Children are easily influenced. Not every parent has the positive outlook and mindset. Not everyone will experience the same growth path, not everyone will be confident in what they want and go for it. Some rise above it, some stay in the cycle, the question is, do the majority rise above it?
edit on 24-9-2016 by SuspiciousTom because: edit

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I have a question for you though.

I have seen and know of many examples of fine successful otherwise normal black men and women who, somehow, did not let their past doom them to living in the inner city.

It doesn't take much looking around. There is a wonderful family who lives across the street from me. I have some coworkers and so does my husband. One of the best neurosurgeons around happens to be a black man. There are plenty of successful black authors and entrepreneurs at all levels. People who work in all different occupations.

So why aren't they stuck in ghettos and mired in the same cycle you want to blame us for?

Could be many things, upbringing education. They are smart, don't want to cling to herds etc.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I am Zardoz.

You are whiny.

This thread is a major fail.

Also, you have probably never seen real racism in your life, hence why you pontificate like this.

The boogey down Bronx disagrees with all your butt hurt.

edit on 9 24 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuspiciousTom

I'm not blaming you for it. However, It seems the concept that not every child is bright. Children are easily influenced. Not every parent has the positive outlook and mindset. Not everyone will experience the same growth path, not everyone will be confident in what they want and go for it. Some rise above it, some stay in the cycle, the question is, do the majority rise above it?

Since the title of your thread is "Why Are White Americans So Racist" and I happen to be one, then I am not sure whom you addressing this to if not to White Americans. You are asking us why we tend to be so racist, whether we are or not. It's like asking the black person what the black perspective on something is. If you don't want the opinion from white folks on why we are or aren't, then you shouldn't have asked us.

So I am discovering a trend here.

Same as with my assertions about marriage, you are not interested in what I have to say or ask only in attacking me.
edit on 24-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

ill say the same to you as the 2 others who said the exact same thing as you: BINGO!

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I wonder why people get so offended when some say there are racists amongst the white population

Its not you there talking about necessarily just objective reality

America does have a vicious experience with lethal racism

That’s a historical fact and anyone who thinks that’s all over with is delusional

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

The title is a play on the stereotype of black people being criminals. You can acknowledge there are those who are, as can I. Same goes for the fabricated stereotype of the title of white Americans being racist. There are far more Americans who are innocent persons willing to assist any race, as there are many black persons who aren't criminals who just want to be a part of society. However, there's a saying that goes "Who the cap fits, let them wear it." Which further means, if you are not a racist, you can easily overlook the title of the thread. You know within yourself that doesn't affect you.

I'm sorry if you feel I am attacking you, I am not. I did answer you about the marriage.
edit on 24-9-2016 by SuspiciousTom because: To answer your edit

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The OP speaks in an absolute. That white Americans are SOO racist, as in that they are more racist than the human average.

I dont think people even know what real racism is like.

Especially people from a well developed country.

You are just bored and boring people, and this is something to do.

edit on 9 24 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I agree generalizing too much can be problematic.

But on the other hand someone with the OP’S view may be somewhat justified considering just 60 years ago black people had to sit on the back of a bus in parts of the south. Not to mention the other myriad kinds of racial discrimination practiced in the US.

edit on 24-9-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

And on a discussion board, the purpose is to discuss. So you know it's all too easy for you say that anyone who comes in to this thread to engage you must be a racist.

And then when you write something as flawed as you did, it gets even more likely that you will get responses. Frankly, your OP is mostly a

So, I got done asking you if your premise is that no American blacks can succeed because of slavery which ended well over 100 years ago and the ending of the actual laws intended to bar blacks from succeeding on their own and the further implementation of programs designed to help blacks after that (Great Society), then why is that pretty much all of us can think of and know of blacks in all walks of life who are seemingly immune to this slavery/oppression thing?

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

We're all tired and on the brink. The entire lower class is tired and on the brink. I'm damn near suicidal I'm so tired and on the brink. I have sympathy and I have empathy, but I'm not going to work with a group that may kill me and drag me through the street if I show up at one of their protests and at most admonish my death with nothing but lip service after the fact while refusing to take any responsibility for it.

I'm fully willing to listen, if and when they learn how to protest and start policing their own and are willing to listen in return.

People show up and riot, murder and target people of white skin for execution. BLM says, we um, said we wanted peaceful marches so they aren't BLM please ignore that they're flying our banner and screaming our mantra. Well so far BLM has when it comes to peace been nothing but talk. (Well not completely true, the Free Hugs guy is, if he considers himself part of BLM and BLM recognizes him as such a true example of a peace marcher.)

Then you ask me to listen.

I say sure, but first could you um... organize a bit better and make a truly concerted effort to protest peacefully. There's several examples of how to do so successfully. I mean please show me that you care enough about my help you'll at least attempt to make sure I'm safe if I come to listen or help.

If you're not sure how, well, I offer the bullhorn example for one, I mention generals leaders pushing the peace message, making peace a rallying cry is good too, have several people that intermix with your message also the message of peace to remind everyone. I mean there's quite a bit. I learned a good chunk of how to peacefully protest from a great man. Martin Luther King Jr. one of my greatest heroes.

I will not respond to violence or people threatening my death. Many people at BLM protests do just that, and a brief message of admonishment by someone after the damage is done is not enough for me.

Being a peaceful protest takes a lot more than saying ones group stands for peaceful protesting. You need to actually work and fight for it.

I do not accept the "Oh well BLM is a loose organization of concerned individuals" as an excuse. Getting things done requires work, organization and effort, and if you're not willing to work to keep your protests safe and civil, I'm certainly not going to come and back you.

I'm frustrated. I'm not mad at you either. I want to help, really I do, but I cannot work with BLM til they are willing to show they're willing to make a real effort to clean up their act.

There's a right way to do things. True peace marching. Making a concerted effort before, during and after to loudly and with conviction demand peace from each other and quickly admonish any and every protester that chooses violence over peace. To accept responsibility and apologize if and when things get out of hand. Especially to those harmed, and should the worse happen, their family.

And the wrong way.

Anything goes as long as we pay lip service towards peace before and after the damage is done, and ask people to be understanding when things get out of hand.

If you're protesting violence by police against innocent people due to skin color, how is excusing it and asking for understanding when the same is done by rioters claiming your cause supposed to accomplish that?

Now I'm willing to recognize these are rare events. I understand that. But perception is important, framing is important, how you represent yourself is important. When asking people for help you need to be able to sell your cause present it in a light they can understand and feel comfortable with. BLM has failed at this on multiple levels. These are legitimate concerns, BLM refuses to acknowledge them, insists on making excuses, or deny any responsibility, and stubbornly insists on continuing to do everything the same way then complaining when it gets the same results.

People do not respond positively to threats and violence it affects people on a primal level that's hard to overcome. By not loudly and decisively admonishing and working to eliminate such behavior from their protests, thus enabling it and showing no real concern for it, the movement allows those threats and violence to become the forefront of the movement.

Ahhh I think I figured out how best to explain it, violence and threats are loud, easily noticeable and make great headlines. If you want to counter the damage done by such things the screams for and push for peace must be that much louder. So loud the media is forced to acknowledge it.

Peace must always be the strongest rallying cry of any peace movement.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
We all could just be human within your own experiences and that’s all people can do really.

One doesn’t have to be a part of any movement.

One can only try to see and recognize the racism that’s been taught to them amongst black people and white people and others and reject it internally

Have that movement of love and respect for all people within your own heart

That’s enough for me

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I won't respond as to the first half of your comment. But there is absolutely no set of people stuck in a mudpit and unable to become successful. But when you look at let's say a group of 13m people and a group of 200m+ people and 24% of the 13m lives in poverty while just about 9~10% of the 200m live in poverty. One is already at somewhat worse odds of the 2, I won't specify which
, but all I'm saying here, this thread. Let them shout. Let them cry. Let them express themselves. They aren't trying to make it harder on anyone else so why would you want to just fight anything they do? They are trying to do it themselves.

The thread itself as i've stated to you, is a stereotype which is absolutely refused by people of the white race. I refuse being profiled as a criminal too.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I agree with you, no leader has set his foot forward, none that i've seen. All i've seen is scattered people, the BLM organization to me is just a for profit organization that exists to capitalize and exploit the pain others feel. There is no order in the protests, people are completely themselves and fueled, charged in the mindset towards war. Charged towards 'we are not losing another' and I don't agree with it. Once a man is innocent he should never be harmed, the idea of living freely is what we all want. Women, men, homosexuals, transgenders, any race, any person.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Black people also have to realize that indeed maybe the movement itself has become counterproductive on one level if it’s making people bitter. That of course doesn't mean you stop.

And maybe some white folks have to realize that many black people are sincerely upset and bothered and afraid of what they perceive as dangerous racism within the powerful of this country.

If that’s wrong then they need to be persuaded that it is. Not hated for having the emotion.

Some black folks have to realize that all cops aren’t blathering racists murderers, indeed the most recent incidents were done by a white woman and a black man.

Also that white people, ordinary decent white people, are as sensitive as they are( black people) when they think they are unjustly lumped with racists.

They have feelings too oh Brothers

Indeed maybe this needs to be taken out of a racial context…MAYBE.

For the goal is to eliminate the idea of race as being anything other than a illusion.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Op, you write a post decrying racism and start a paragraph with "you people". You are part of the problem. Doctor heal thyself.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

in all our years here together, this may be the first time you and I are in agreement in a thread.

makes sense....when you cut through all the crap and deal with humans on human levels, i'd like to think we all pretty much agree.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It’s no longer legal to say, We don’t want African-Americans to live here, but you can say, ‘I’m going to make sure no one who makes less than two times the median income lives here.....
Housing Choice Vouchers, also known as Section 8, are meant to give poor families better options about where they live, but are instead confining the poor to the few neighborhoods where landlords will accept the voucher.

All of these developments have increased the racial concentration of poverty, especially in mid-sized American cities.
These policies build a durable architecture of segregation that ensures that racial segregation and the concentration of poverty is entrenched for years to come

A child who grows up in a high-poverty area is likely to be poor when he grows up.
Research out this year from Harvard shows that
Children who moved from poor areas to more affluent areas had higher incomes and better educational achievements than those who stayed in poor areas.
Without dramatic changes, today’s children who live in high-poverty areas are going to grow up to be poor

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join